Am I just hearing things?

Am I just hearing things, or do different capos make the guitar sound different?

The reason I think I might be imagining it is that I don't mean just on 'open' strings - I mean the overall sound of the guitar.

For reasons I don't really remember I have 2 decent capos - both G7th - one is the Performance 2, and one is the Nashville.

One of them makes a guitar sound fuller (or retains the fullness) and one seems to result in a bit less body to the sound.

All in my head, or a thing? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24799
    edited October 2017
    Could be something to do with mass? Can’t say I’ve ever compared different ones but some makers believe low mass tuners make a difference - so I suppose it could apply to capos....

Personally I like the cheap Dunlops rather than G7ths - just because of balance.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Usually depends where you put it on the neck in my experience.
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    In this case it was the same fret position (and tune) 
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    re weight, there is a notable difference in their weights - the Nashville is much lighter
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    I think it definitely can, and the reason is the different mass.

Try clipping a capo onto the headstock of the guitar and you will usually hear a (admittedly fairly subtle) change in tone. It's going to have a similar, although probably lesser, effect if it's halfway up the neck. So using one of a different mass will also most likely have a different effect.

That isn't to say anyone listening will necessarily notice though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    yeah, all that stuff matters, thing is 'recordings' don't capture these subtle changes in the guitars sound.
    I find it impossible to deciding which set of strings suite which tunes I play.
    I changed the buttons on my Schaller machine heads from metal to Ebony on one of my guitars  - the sound of that guitar is waaaay darker and I find it impossible to play any of my 'happy' tunes on it now.
    I just want to jam with my buddy's without all these distractions.
    ho hum 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    AliGorie said:

I changed the buttons on my Schaller machine heads from metal to Ebony on one of my guitars  - the sound of that guitar is waaaay darker and I find it impossible to play any of my 'happy' tunes on it now.
    Those Schaller keys weigh a ton, just ridiculously heavy. I've noticed a tone change when replacing them with wooden ones as well, even on an electric guitar. I think my Dove sounds better with the ugly big Grover D keys it came with than when I tried it with some wooden ones.

I also once had a '61 J-45 (which I shouldn't have sold, but that's another story!) which came to me with Schallers. I replaced them with the modern Gibson Kluson-style (but still cast, with front nut) ones - the guitar sounded *far* better. After I sold it, the next owner put some original three-on-a-strip Klusons back on it… and it didn't sound as good. There must have been something about the exact weight of the Gibson heads that made the neck resonate perfectly, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I’ve the same capos and have to say you have a point.I just hope your not as old as me.