Life imprisonment for mobile phone death drivers.

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I should be amazed at some of the reactions on this thread. I should be. However it seems to be commonplace these days to reject the idea of trying to improve one aspect of road safety because there are so many other areas of concern that it's somehow "not fair". It all comes under the umbrella of driving without due care or attention, but the more concrete examples which can be included and provable the better I'd say.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    prowla said:
    Foster said: 
    ThorpyFX said:

Was she lost on a non-lit dark country lane on her phone a minute before the accident? Why would being on the phone in that situation make sense to do?
    Google maps?
    They also work whilst stationery at the side of a road. I'd have thought that the check of phone records would also note the GPS position, if I use Waze in the passenger seat it tells me off in case I'm driving so it shouldn't be too hard to prove you'd stopped
    I think the law applies even if you are stopped.
    I cannot believe that any sane interpretation of the law would say that using a phone whilst stopped, 2 minutes before a crash makes you guilty of criminal reckless driving

I suspect the issue would be proving that you had stopped

I'm assuming that gadgets and car telemetrics will get better at telling us the true story 

However, triangulation using mobile phones has been available to the police for over 20 years, and they would be able to tell whether the call was being passed from one cell to another etc.
    Checking emails with the handbrake on at the side of the road might be harder to prove, but to be honest, the law is about reckless driving: if you have an accident that is clearly caused by someone else, I doubt the police are going to try to frame you for reckless driving because you checked an email 45 minutes ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It will be interesting to see if the usage of apple car play or Android Auto will be logged as a phone interaction or is a touch of the touch screen taken as evidence?
    At last Waze is now an Android Auto enabled app as it's a phone app I use all the time to get me safely and quickly from A to B (thank god the days of paper maps are over).
    The whole phone as a Satnav, car audio center is a bit of a grey area.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11884
    It will be interesting to see if the usage of apple car play or Android Auto will be logged as a phone interaction or is a touch of the touch screen taken as evidence?
    At last Waze is now an Android Auto enabled app as it's a phone app I use all the time to get me safely and quickly from A to B (thank god the days of paper maps are over).
    The whole phone as a Satnav, car audio center is a bit of a grey area.
    yes, I am thinking of reverting to using my iphone as a satnav, mounted to the vents
    I wonder what thought has gone into that scenario
    The regs I read said keep it off the windscreen
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    tbh I find I am usign my phone in the car much less, even though I have complete hands free, voice control for all phone stuff.

I quite like opportunity to disconnect from it all for a bit
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    While we're at it, I'd give life to: 

A) the tired behind the wheel.
    B) the inexperienced

I love the way tFB converts B ) to B)!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • viz said:
    While we're at it, I'd give life to: 

A) the tired behind the wheel.
    B) the inexperienced

I love the way tFB converts B ) to B)!
    I know Viz, I nearly had to pull over to see if I could correct it....
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    My car won't let me answer a text message while the car is moving, but it will let me put in a postcode, POI, etc. This should all be disabled IMO, although the sat nav does have voice control which is preferable but still requires brain cells which would be better put to use avoiding other vehicles.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • I almost never answer my phones at home, ergo answering the buggers in a car is not something that's at the top of my list. 

I do however really need to stop doing jigsaws whilst driving.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4167
    edited October 2017

:)

I would bet a small amount of money that someone has actually done this at some point.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4978
    Why use maps on your mobile when a legal Satnav can be bought very cheaply?

Nobody condones drink driving so why condone the use of mobile phones while driving? If a driving ban for mobile phone usage while driving or imprisonment as described by the OP was the normal result of such behaviour, the practice would cease.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Still though you can drive after 2 pints of lager.  FFS
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658

About time, I have come close to being knocked over on the way to work a couple times & once recently while crossing at a zebra crossing with my daughter because some idiot is playing with their phone.

• I do think there’s been a change recently. I see it less on the motorways, used to see someone texting and driving on the motorway every day but now every other day.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11289
    I almost never answer my phones at home, ergo answering the buggers in a car is not something that's at the top of my list. 

If you're actually making them whilst driving that's another level of no-no.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72258
    Still though you can drive after 2 pints of lager.  FFS
    Not in Scotland now - even a pint would be pushing it. Probably not in England either unless you're unusually large.

It's about time England was brought into line with the rest of Europe on this - 80mg is too high, not only because it's high enough that you can be significantly impaired even below it, but because it encourages the idea that one drink is OK.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    Rocker said:
    If a driving ban for mobile phone usage while driving or imprisonment as described by the OP was the normal result of such behaviour, the practice would cease.
    No it wouldn't because people who commit crimes don't think they are going to get caught. That's why capital punishment doesn't stop people from committing murder.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Still though you can drive after 2 pints of lager.  FFS
    I believe that on average 1 pint of lager is 2 units of alcohol, and that is the limit.

2 pint would be 4 units, therefore double the limit.
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    ^When the levels were introduced the average beer was about 3.5% ABV, so the standard was 5 units, or 2.5 pints.
    Now the average abv of beer has increased most online guides say 2 pints of "regular strength" beer.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    They also work whilst stationery at the side of a road. I'd have thought that the check of phone records would also note the GPS position, if I use Waze in the passenger seat it tells me off in case I'm driving so it shouldn't be too hard to prove you'd stopped
    I don't leave my GPS on all the time though.  It eats battery.

Strictly speaking, they can still do you if you pull over unless you actually put the handbrake on and stop the engine.