NPD finally after 7 months of pre-order delays... DOD Rubberneck

What's Hot
TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
edited October 2017 in FX
Dod rubberneck

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Looks good. DOD have been doing great things since Digitech took over. I've found the recent rereleases to exceed the originals in many cases.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Agree, the Digitech guy in charge is very active on TGP and I think he really cares about both product lines. I love the 201 phasor - expecting great things of the Rubberneck
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Ahh, interesting. If you were of a mind to dig through all the YouTube comments on all the reviews there are some comments, IIRC, from the designer about how it was rushed for launch at  NAMM without being ready for market. 
    I'm quite keen on the Rubberneck, although I could see me also having to buy the additional footswitch that can turn the modulation on-off. I'll be interested in how you get on with it, happy NPD. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Review needed please. I have this on my wishlist 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6877
    Im just gonna say it... 

Its a delayed pedal! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1821
    skunkwerx said:
    Im just gonna say it... 

Its a delayed pedal! 
    Lol we were all thinking it :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    So, @Teetonetal what does it play like mate ?
    @Wazmeister no idea! Hope to play after work tonight :) will report back.
    edited October 2017
    So, had a very quickly play, tried to get a wideish range of sounds, base tone is Helix direct. Done in headphones, so no idea how it really sounds with an amp!! Yet.

Track 1, GTR 1, clean as possible delay, GTR 2 dirty delay , GTR 3 Modulated delay
    Track 2 GTR 1 no delay.. GTR 2 Bigger modulated delay. GTR 3 clean delay on distorted guitar.

What to make of it..

It's not a pedal that you are going to fall in love with on first play. In many ways it reminds of the tonal recall I had, it's a slightly dirty, lo-fi delay. if you want it clean, then the drive and tone have to be off. The drive is a little too muddy for my taste, I think I prefer it's tone control. I got some nice modulation sounds though, it has a nicer modulation that the EHX 1100tt

The dirt/tone and feedback controls are very interactive and it's very easy to get unwanted oscillation. I haven't got to grips with the rubber neck bit at all. 

So first impression is this, it's in the ball park of the TR and Moog MF104, lots of sounds in there, but it's hard work coaxing them out. Cheaper than both.. Could fill a gap for a lot of people.

More to come....

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    Modulation sounds very nice. Cool demo too.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Nice demo, good to hear in context of a piece of music. I like the look of these, but put off as it seemed a bit fussy and gimmicky to me.
    dindude said:
    Nice demo, good to hear in context of a piece of music. I like the look of these, but put off as it seemed a bit fussy and gimmicky to me.
    Well, if you ignore the rubberneck bit:

You have a genuine analog delay with 1.5 secs of delay time, tap tempo with subdivisions, tone control, drive control, fx loop , trails on/off/wet only and modulation.
    There are not many units that offer those features. 

Jury is out for me on the rubberneck bit, I'm not sure it's easy to get right.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27460
    [admin mode]
    Some irrelevant negativity comments removed.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    TTony said:
    [admin mode]
    Some irrelevant negativity comments removed.
    Criticising a 7 month delay between paying for a product and receiving it is "irrelevant negativity"?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6130
    tFB Trader
    looks really interesting that, i don't need one, but I'm a sucker for a cool delay. i guess the time lag was due to production issues, i can understand it, I've been working on some more complex pedals for a while and sometimes its hard to get them ready for production
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    as we all know, pedals are best heard the medium of a phone mic on instagram

Managed to get a play through the amp today. It's a nice. I really like the modulation. It's quite a percussive delay.

ThorpyFX said:
    looks really interesting that, i don't need one, but I'm a sucker for a cool delay. i guess the time lag was due to production issues, i can understand it, I've been working on some more complex pedals for a while and sometimes its hard to get them ready for production
    Yes, sounds like they had a last min change of direction in the design, then had issues with the disti due to the weather in the USA. Digitech rep wrote about it on TGP

I'm going to keep it a while I think . It's quite deep.

The Rubberneck and self oscillation features are a big part of what attracts me to this. They look relatively straightforward on the demoes I've seen ( even if the demonstrators aren't always quite sure what they should be doing with them musically) so it'd be a shame if they aren't easy to dial in. That modulated delay sounds nice in your clip BTW. 
    @EricTheWeary its also a large part of what attracted me too. I just need to spend some time with it. One thing that is cool, you can get a sort of freeze affect by turning up the feedback and hitting the rubberneck. With trails on, you can then switch the delay off and play over the top of the oscillation. I think there is a lot here to discover!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @EricTheWeary its also a large part of what attracted me too. I just need to spend some time with it. One thing that is cool, you can get a sort of freeze affect by turning up the feedback and hitting the rubberneck. With trails on, you can then switch the delay off and play over the top of the oscillation. I think there is a lot here to discover!
    Ooh, not seen that in the demoes.