Landgraff Dynamic OD

What's Hot
Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
Saw this posted over on the Madbean forum and can't believe how bad it is inside for the amount of money they charge.  I'd be embarrassed to sell that to someone.  They seem to have spent more time writing god bless america and bible verses inside than building the damn thing.

All hail the power of the hype train

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Yuk. On many levels.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    It's also a basic Tube Screamer copy with a couple of clipping diode options, from what I remember. I never realised it was as badly made as that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NeilYoungFanNeilYoungFan Frets: 29
    edited October 2017
    The story of this one and the Clay Jones overdrive is well documented. Ten years ago these were "the shit"...

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/20189677/
    Good deals with: andrewaward (X2), wellsyboy (X2), AxeWieldingBastard, rainer2859, garfy, rogandroll, Gassage, HoraceB, johnhe, hyperben, JezWynd, interstellar, soma1975, pumkin, JDE (X2), JohnPerry, Varun, Springywheel
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Lol the description for this one is amazing

https://reverb.com/item/501615-landgraff-dynamic-overdrive-2013
  • The story of this one and the Clay Jones overdrive is well documented. Ten years ago these were "the shit"...

Analogman mentions a story - here it is. 

http://www.boutiquegeartalk.com/pedals-effects-multi-effects/1486.htm

Quite an insight into boutique pedal bullshit. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    The story of this one and the Clay Jones overdrive is well documented. Ten years ago these were "the shit"...

shortly after i started building, the CJOD and the LGOD were the big players, I built so many of those clones it beggars belief!!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:

shortly after i started building, the CJOD and the LGOD were the big players, I built so many of those clones it beggars belief!!
    the first pedal I made when I started this hobby 2 years ago was a Son of Clay Jones using the layout on tagboard effects and even my first effort looked tidyier than the Landgraff above.  
  • So much crap on the pedal business, so many people made money solely based on hype. Vertex is only one of them. And to think how much have folks been paying for such pedals...
    Good deals with: andrewaward (X2), wellsyboy (X2), AxeWieldingBastard, rainer2859, garfy, rogandroll, Gassage, HoraceB, johnhe, hyperben, JezWynd, interstellar, soma1975, pumkin, JDE (X2), JohnPerry, Varun, Springywheel
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017
    There almost seems to be a belief that the crappier it looks inside, the better it must sound because it's "more hand made", or some other such bullshit.

I will say one thing for that Landgraff - at least he's wired the 3PDT in the less bad of the two standard schemes, which only uses one pole for the bypass and grounds the circuit input with the other. There are still the usual lack of shakeproof washers on the jacks and various other problems though.

Do you think the coiled battery wire is part of the 'mojo'?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Ha, ha that's so funny. I like the God drivel inside... "Made for Blues, Angel Music". I thought the blues was 'the Devil's music'?
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26891
    Octafish said:
    Ha, ha that's so funny. I like the God drivel inside... "Made for Blues, Angel Music". I thought the blues was 'the Devil's music'?
    Yeah but the P&W crowd won't go mad-hype for it if it's got satan on the inside.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    stickyfiddle said:

Yeah but the P&W crowd won't go mad-hype for it if it's got satan on the inside.
    Satan is in the LEDs.

The thing I don't get is why he never did a pcb layout.  Unless the untidyness is supposed to make it look more handmade.  I started off with vero when I started making pedals now if I can find a decent pcb I'd much rather use that.  Veros a bit of a faff most of the time.  
  • Adam_MD said:
    The thing I don't get is why he never did a pcb layout.  Unless the untidyness is supposed to make it look more handmade.  I started off with vero when I started making pedals now if I can find a decent pcb I'd much rather use that.  Veros a bit of a faff most of the time.  
    Veros transmit more mids than PCBs. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lewismlewism Frets: 250
    The wires are bent at right angles though. Read enough TGP and you'll know that that's the sign of a builder who pays care and attention to their product!
    Adam_MD said:
    Veros transmit more mids than PCBs. 
    You're right that must be how he gets the 'haunting mids' and bloom.  
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    It's looks ok to me, it is in no danger of falling apart and at least the 3pdt is not directly soldered to a pcb. (Had to replace one such switch last week)

He's no vertex so I don't feel too strongly about it...
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7762
    Octafish said:
    Not after white evangelicals co-opted it, stupid dumble playing boring fuckers LOL
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Who is to blame - the opportunistic exploitative nature of a few bad apples, or the herds of stupid fucks on TGP? Is it Thaddeus Hogarth's fault that he's gullible or is it Freekish Ken's fault he is duplicitous?
  • glynesglynes Frets: 131
    JDE said:
    herds of stupid fucks on TGP? Is it Thaddeus Hogarth's fault that he's gullible or is it Freekish Ken's fault he is duplicitous?
    Heh, I see what you did there. I agree - there are some pretty fucking stupid people on this forum too.