Thoughts on the Ditto x 2 Looper

not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited February 2014 in FX

I got this a couple of days ago so thought I'd share my thoughts.

I used to do a lot of looping when I played in an acoustic duo using the Boss RC-20xl. Since that folded I sold the Boss but when the first Ditto came out I got one.

However I didn't really used it much, mainly just for soundchecks (we play pub gigs without a sound man, so I'd use it so I could get out into the room and hear how my rig was sounding).

I've recently been planning some ambient soundscape stuff (well I've been planning it for years actually), so I've set up a second pedalboard for that, and bought a Ditto x2.

First thing is the size, they are a lot bigger than I expected (I'd only seen pics on the web until Mr DPD delivered mine). I was expecting it to be pretty much two of the regular Dittos sat together, but it's much bigger. Here's a pic to give you an idea of the size:

http://imageshack.com/a/img59/107/tlk9.jpg

Luckly it just fitted on where I wanted it.

What the size does give you is easy access to that second footswitch without fear of hitting both, which is either a dedicated STOP, or brings in the FX (reverse and half speed). Those are really the extra functions I wanted over the regular Ditto. Both work as expected, with the halfspeed also changing pitch. You can also use both FX at once if you want (something I hadn't picked up from the demos I'd seen).

So with the halfspeed you can play a single note riff at double speed while recording it, then play it back at half speed and it becomes a bass guitar riff, pretty neat.

Sound quality is great, 5 mins max for the base loop, then unlimited overdubs, that suits me fine.

All the sockets are at the back, and you get stereo ins/outs so I could well have my TC Nova delay, Big Sky and this all running stereo, that'll be epic.

I've not yet played with the save function, but it's got a USB connection and actually saves a loop as both a .AIF and .WAV file. From what the manual says it's a case of connecting that to your PC/Mac and then it's a simple drag/drop to get files from the looper, or to drag files (backing tracks perhaps) onto the pedal. Again dead simple.

The big thing with loopers is getting used to the feel of the switch so the end/start point of the loop is timed right, and this one felt great straight away. Of course I've used the regular Ditto so I've got the feel of that, but I'm sure someone coming to these fresh won't have any problems.

So sounds great, easy to use, feels solid, good features...and just under £150. Thumbs up from me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom