wiring a push pull as an on off switch

I want to switch an LED on using a push pull pot. Anyone know how I would wire that up? Presumably the live wire from the battery goes in somewhere and comes out somewhere?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10398
    You can put the switch in between the positive and the LED or the negative and the LED, I prob would put it in the positive though
    Bear in mind if the LED doesn't have it's own current limiting resistor inside then you need to add one in series with the  battery otherwise the LED will destroy it's self 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    Danny1969 said:
    You can put the switch in between the positive and the LED or the negative and the LED, I prob would put it in the positive though
    Bear in mind if the LED doesn't have it's own current limiting resistor inside then you need to add one in series with the  battery otherwise the LED will destroy it's self 
    Yeah, resistor sorted, I just need to know where to put the wires on the switch!

edited October 2017
    Assuming a typical DPDT push pull switch then one wire on one side centre contact and one on same side end contact .... which end depends on whether you want it on when switch down or up 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    Assuming a typical DPDT push pull switch then one wire on one side centre contact and one on same side end contact .... which end depends on whether you want it on when switch down or up 
    Ta! Any earth wire as well?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    axisus said:
    Danny1969 said:
    Ta! Any earth wire as well?
    Just been musing. If it's proper "off" rather than just "sort of off" then do you actually need to ground "off off" at all?
    No, we tend to ground signals when switching them off as leaving them "floating" tends to create noise and in some cases parasite oscillation ......... an LED or lamp or anything else just needs to be open circuit to be off  ......... if you attempted to ground the DC volts feeding it you would actually just short circuit the battery so not a good idea
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    Danny1969 said:
    No, we tend to ground signals when switching them off as leaving them "floating" tends to create noise and in some cases parasite oscillation ......... an LED or lamp or anything else just needs to be open circuit to be off  ......... if you attempted to ground the DC volts feeding it you would actually just short circuit the battery so not a good idea
    Thanks!