Slap 'er

What's Hot
thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
edited October 2017 in Acoustics
Just curious how many of you actually do the whole guitar slapping, tuner tweaking (thinking of Passion Flower by Jon Gomm..),  half-capo use, harp harmonics tricks etc a lot of these modern players are doing? Personally... I do a few (badly performed) flamenco hand techniques, I do the alternating thumb thing, and I like to sing along whilst fingerpicking (like Lindsey Buckingham's "Big Love" acoustic version). I really just wondered... is it only these "advanced" acoustic players that are doing all those other things? 

Hand on heart.. a few of those types of pieces I love, but a whole album-full is a hard swallow (and I think can sound very "same-y"). I much prefer the whole singer-songwriter thing. And I love listening to tunes with alternate tunings on the guitar, but I'm too big a scaredy-cat to give it a proper go!

I like Ewan Dobson's stuff but even when watching it on YouTube, I must admit I was dying to hear a bit of vocals chucked in there.. the exception to this rule is Tommy Emmanuel whose guitar playing I rarely tire of listening to.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2427
    I think that style of playing is very much a Marmite thing - some love it and others dislike it. Me included. I saw a busker doing all that stuff a few days ago. He did it well but each tune sounded much the same and it became musical wallpaper. No vocals. Just an exercise in technique, devoid of any fire or passion. Others may have thought it great, who knows.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Musical wallpaper.. great description :lol: 
  • Check out Jake Morley.  Caught him at an open mic night a few years ago and really enjoyed his songs.

• LewyLewy Frets: 4193
    edited October 2017
    The odd percussive slap here and there for effect or punctuation but nothing that puts it as a significant part of the arrangement.

I see it in the same light as the over-use of loop pedals - I appreciate the artistry of people who do it very well but when it's too central a part of the piece it can make for some very tedious music imo.

My favourite instance will always be this

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    It was amazeballs when Hedges did it, now its a sideshow for the short attention span generation. I knew it was a lost cause after my parents watched that piece of crap movie August Rush where "genius kiddo" does the slap and tap guitar thing. 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I do it when it's needed only, it's not just technique, used properly it can sound amazing, as long as it's not the main part of the song, 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309

It can sound amazing, and sometimes does. Very, very few people seem to be able to do it and retain a real musical element. It ends up as pure showmanship, whereas good music is something that sounds good.

I think there is a huge amount of difference to be had between watching a YT video, or live performance vs listening to the same thing without the visual aspect.

With a lot of the percussive acoustic stuff I think once the visual aspect is lost, the interest wains quickly.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I agree about the visual impact.. without a flash video, it's a hard gig to maintain interest doing that sort of thing.
    I thought it was only me who thought this!
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    It's never really appealed to me - as a spectacle and as a demonstration of what it possible when someone talented works REALLY hard I get it.

I just think that most of the examples of the resulting music that gets made that way doesn't really move me or appeal to me.

To be honest I have a similar reaction to solo finger style arrangements of pretty much anything - the technical challenge of playing the baseline, melody and vocal line, and some percussion isn't lost on me, I just think I'd enjoy the performance more if the hundreds of hours of technique development had gone into singing lessons and just performing the song :-) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3494
    edited October 2017
    Just curious how many of you actually do the whole guitar slapping, tuner tweaking (thinking of Passion Flower by Jon Gomm..)
    I have no problem with the techniques itself, but my observations are that particular type of playing/scene is the technique is the sole focus of the playing/style opposed to composition. 
  • I don't. At the mo I'm struggling with trying to adopt the Richard Thompson right hand acoustic technique. He's using a pick held between the thumb/first finger (surprise!) and plays very rhythmic bass with that and independently plays melody lines or triads with the second/third/fourth fingers. I'm quite happy using the pick and right hand fingers at the same time playing the same chord, but independent of each other is something else. I'm still at the stage of stopping the playing of the bass notes for the beats where I'm playing a melody note far too much for my liking. 

Go here to see what I mean...    

• I'll check that at home later.. sounds interesting..
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4193
    edited October 2017
    I don't. At the mo I'm struggling with trying to adopt the Richard Thompson right hand acoustic technique. He's using a pick held between the thumb/first finger (surprise!) and plays very rhythmic bass with that and independently plays melody lines or triads with the second/third/fourth fingers.

The challenge you're describing is the same one that alternating thumb fingerstyle learners go through too. In my opinion, the trick when trying to get that style together is to realise that the fingers are not operating independently of the thumb at all. They're just playing subdivisions of the same beat that the thumb is playing. So you're not trying to get them to think for themselves - or achieve independence - your just trying to be able to select at will whatever subdivision of the beat you want at any given time.  And so that's how you practice.....thump that bass string and then slowly add more subdivisions. It's a different psychology - really made a difference for me when I was learning travis picking etc
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Lewy said:
    I don't. At the mo I'm struggling with trying to adopt the Richard Thompson right hand acoustic technique. He's using a pick held between the thumb/first finger (surprise!) and plays very rhythmic bass with that and independently plays melody lines or triads with the second/third/fourth fingers.

The challenge you're describing is the same one that alternating thumb fingerstyle learners go through too. In my opinion, the trick when trying to get that style together is to realise that the fingers are not operating independently of the thumb at all. They're just playing subdivisions of the same beat that the thumb is playing. So you're not trying to get them to think for themselves - or achieve independence - your just trying to be able to select at will whatever subdivision of the beat you want at any given time.  And so that's how you practice.....thump that bass string and then slowly add more subdivisions. It's a different psychology - really made a difference for me when I was learning travis picking etc
    You might well be right. I only have this issue when I'm holding a pick - using bare fingers or a thumbpick are fine. It's when I lose my first finger to hold the plectrum that I struggle. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited October 2017
  • Depends what you mean by slap? 
    I like the slapped harmonics as used by Michael Hedges ( but I've never really pursued it as a technique) and the aggressive Bert Jansch style of plucking the strings so they slap against the fretboard, such as on Black Waterside.

The only time I slap the strings is when I've got the Bass out.

The techniques I tend to work on are basics like alternate thumb which I've always found difficult and string skipping with plectrum when trying Bluegrass style melodies/pieces. Sometimes I'll play Bach with a plectrum as an exercise.

The other thing with finger style on steel strings is trying to get a good tone out of the high E and B strings, as they can sound a bit thin when using nails or fingertips.
  • Just watched the Richard Thompson video.. ooh I never knew he played like that. I'd much prefer to stick to thumb for that sort of playing unless I knew there'd be some louder chords coming in (I do that on "Cold as Ice," for example). Would love to see more vids of you guys playing acoustic!
    Just watched the Richard Thompson video.. ooh I never knew he played like that. I'd much prefer to stick to thumb for that sort of playing unless I knew there'd be some louder chords coming in (I do that on "Cold as Ice," for example). Would love to see more vids of you guys playing acoustic!

Interesting because I think his technique in the video is the only way of achieving that balance of driving bass with higher string fills. Just using thumb or thumbpick is unlikely (but perhaps not impossible) to give the same degree of drive. I use a thumbpick most the time, a Herco Flat-thumbpick, but I would still hold it between thumb and forefinger hybrid-style to achieve what he is doing in that vid.

It's a very useable technique but not one I think of as having anything to do with the slapping style.

• I don't think the poster was intimating that it was "slap" style :)

Fyi I don't even use a thumb pick. Nether does Tommy Emmanuel. The difference is.. he can play the guitar :lol: 

Tommy who?

Oh, you mean this fella...... ;)