Recommend me a wah pedal...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I couldn’t in good conscience recommend you a wah, no. Apologies. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    My BBE has a light but when my desert boot is doing the wakka-wakka it covers it up anyway, and I tend to have it at such an angle that I can't see the LED when I'm stood back from it. But I can always tell if it's on and I don't often leave it on without meaning to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited October 2017
    viz said:
    Which is why switchless sprung is so good. You set a tiny delay at the heel end, so it stays on the ooo sound for quarter a second or so then switches off. The only thing that can happen is if you get a lead caught under the heel (but it has a light anyway)

clarkefan said:
    I can see why LEDs are a good idea, I've made the same mistake and that's at home

Exactly, though the sprung design is even more of a failsafe in the live situation - check this out for example - we did Teenage Kicks the other night and during the solo at 1:56 I just gave it a couple of taps with the foot because in the spur of the moment it suddenly occurred to me to do so, and it bounces straight back to normal. You couldn't do that with a crybaby - it'd have to be a much more planned thing. 

Also you can really hear the sweep of the bad horsie in the next line and there's definitely no drop in volume. Its design lets you use it to create punch and percussion, almost as an alternative to playing a note or bouncing the whammy bar. 

The ONLY thing is that you'd have to keep your foot on it if you wanted to play long passages in the half-cocked position. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited October 2017
    I'm pretty much convinced @viz - Only thing I'm worrying about is that the Steve Vai connection might mean it suits that sort of tone and playing style whereas I'd want something a bit more blues/rock (sounds great on your video though). I see Morley also do a switchless M2 Maverick Wah which they claim is more traditional sounding. I'll see if I can try some out in the next few days.

Thanks.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    Cheers btw; and yes, plus they do a mini one. I think they're quite similar. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited October 2017
    bbill335 said:
    My BBE has a light but when my desert boot is doing the wakka-wakka it covers it up anyway, and I tend to have it at such an angle that I can't see the LED when I'm stood back from it. But I can always tell if it's on and I don't often leave it on without meaning to.
    I've seen people attach a small (1 inch square) mirror to the side so they can see the light
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    viz said:
    Bad Horsie!

switchless
    sprung
    indestructible
    wide sweep
    very slight volume increase
    cool

ah but mk1 or mk2 ?
    siraxeman said:
    viz said:
    Bad Horsie!

switchless
    sprung
    indestructible
    wide sweep
    very slight volume increase
    cool

ah but mk1 or mk2 ?
    Both plus the shiny one and the white one of course!
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Watched quite a few YouTube vids, read loads of reviews, and have managed to try a few out. Got to say the one I most liked the sound of was the Dunlop Buddy Guy signature but at £230ish was way too pricey for the amount I’d actually use it.

I wasn’t really aware of Morley until starting this thread. Online reviews seem to show that Morley wahs are probably more durable and reliable than just about anyone else’s. Unfortunately, the Morley Bad Horsie didn’t do it for me soundwise, but it did impress with the build quality.

In the end I still went with Morley but went for the M2 Wah which has a more vintage tone than the Bad Horsie. Great reviews, LED status indicator, and a level control. Looking forward to it arriving  sometime on Tuesday.
    HAL9000 said:
    Thanks for all the recommendations. Watched quite a few YouTube vids, read loads of reviews, and have managed to try a few out. Got to say the one I most liked the sound of was the Dunlop Buddy Guy signature but at £230ish was way too pricey for the amount I’d actually use it.

I wasn’t really aware of Morley until starting this thread. Online reviews seem to show that Morley wahs are probably more durable and reliable than just about anyone else’s. Unfortunately, the Morley Bad Horsie didn’t do it for me soundwise, but it did impress with the build quality.

In the end I still went with Morley but went for the M2 Wah which has a more vintage tone than the Bad Horsie. Great reviews, LED status indicator, and a level control. Looking forward to it arriving  sometime on Tuesday.
    Nice. 
    Do us a video review would ya?
    viz said:
    Do us a video review would ya?
    Not my video, but found this on the tube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbk5t4D1LQI&feature=share