While my guitar gently sleeps.

What's Hot
We all know about guitars are said to “open up” with playing and age etc.I’am having thoughts the other way.Ive a decent guitar that sounded great and with volume.This guitar gets very little use now and it’s in the case most of the time.Played it today sounded like it was stuffed with socks.I changed strings not much better.Ive taken account of humidity as well.So do they get sleepy
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72308
    Yes.

If you can, keep it on a stand or a hanger not in the case - it will absorb natural vibrations from the room and follow humidity changes, and the sound will open up. Really...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    ICBM said:
    If you can, keep it on a stand or a hanger not in the case - it will absorb natural vibrations from the room and follow humidity changes, and the sound will open up. Really...
    Most quality makers tell you to put your guitar in its case when not being played, yet my 25 year old well played Martin seemed to go off the boil after a lengthy period of incarceration.

A few days in the open seems to have done it the world of good....
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Honestly, you guys will do anything @ICBM says. You do know that all us Edinburgh Fretboarders all sit with him in a pub in Roslin and buy him a drink every time one of you believes one of these outrageous stories. We usually have to take him home in an ambulance. ;)
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    (I've just taken my J45 out of its case.) :)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    I use a ToneRite

they rotate one around the store in Ivor Mairants, makes a big difference
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Good to see you posting a new thread @rustneversleeps ;
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    Good to see you posting a new thread @rustneversleeps ;
    ;)
    As you know i’am trying (me best) =)
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited October 2017
    I always thought it was best to keep then in their cases (that's what it says be in my Larrivee booklet).......... Though now they're all out on stands, I guess I'll find out.. :lol: 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    camf said:
    Honestly, you guys will do anything @ICBM says. You do know that all us Edinburgh Fretboarders all sit with him in a pub in Roslin and buy him a drink every time one of you believes one of these outrageous stories. We usually have to take him home in an ambulance. ;)
    @camf - I’ve just bought a Jensen Tornado because ICBM told me the one in your Princeton sounded good. Please don’t tell me I’ve been ‘had’ :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Barman... another Pimms for @ICBM :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    No. No, it's not true

@ICBM keeps saying that I have to have a bloody Rickenbacker bass.

I categorically do not need a completely outdated anachronistic oddly shaped overpriced chunk of wood like that. 

I have plenty of Precisions that fulfil that perfectly.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Barman... make that a double!
    camf said:
    Barman... make that a double!
    Has he moved onto the Cool Aid yet?
  • Isn't it Kool Aid? Or is that not cool?
    Isn't it Kool Aid? Or is that not cool?
    I'm glad I'm not cool. Or Kool.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    edited October 2017

They certainly do go to sleep. I keep all my guitars in cases (except my little L'Arrivee parlour which seems impervious to environmental change) so I just make sure to rotate which ones I practice on. As I've only got three flat tops (apart from little Larry) it means they're never more than 2 days away from being played.

Resonators go to sleep too (whether they are in a case or not), but there are specific things you can do to wake them up straight away rather than having to play them for any period of time.

• Lewy said:

Resonators go to sleep too (whether they are in a case or not), but there are specific things you can do to wake them up straight away rather than having to play them for any period of time.

pray, tell.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Yep my Lowden sounded dead if it hadn't been played for a while. After a few hours it was fine again. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• LewyLewy Frets: 4192
    edited October 2017
    Lewy said:

pray, tell.
    I used to play in a duo with a guy who had a collection of more than 30 pre-war biscuit and tricone Nationals. They were all out on stands but obviously didn't all get played that often. His routine for waking up one that hadn't been played for a while was:

- hold it vertically by the headstock end of the neck and tap the body and coverplate all over with your fingertips to dislodge dust that may have settled
    - then detune slightly...not so much that any of the strings go slack, just enough to be able to...
    - .....pull each string in turn out of it's bridge slot, and then slide it across the saddle to let it snap itself back in
    - retune

You could definitely hear a difference before and after. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom