Mesa Mark V 35 Speaker Query

ChéChé Frets: 304
Hi Guys,

I'm currently debating selling my Mark V:35 head as I'm not getting along with it but as always it's best to try different speaker options.

At the moment I'm using it with a EVM12L Thiele and it's very sterile and not what I'm after. I've acquired a 2x12 Recto cab with V30's and they're not my thing either. Given it's only 35w the Mesa cab offerings of a 90w C90 seem overkill but wonder if their cabs can accept other speakers (unlike the Thiele).

Part of me thinks it's too much of an amp for my simple ways and I'd be better off with a a Lonestar and a dedicated metal amp.

Be cool to know what you guys think, appreciate your wisdowm as always.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    edited October 2017
    Ché said:

Given it's only 35w the Mesa cab offerings of a 90w C90 seem overkill but wonder if their cabs can accept other speakers (unlike the Thiele). 
    Why? If it sounds good it doesn't matter if it's 1000W.

The "Thiele" cab can accept any 12" speaker too - contrary to what they imply with their marketing, it is not specially tuned to the speaker. If it was, then changing from the EVM to the C90 as they did would have messed it up .

It's actually just a reflex-ported cab that happens - by pure coincidence! - to be the same size as a Mark series combo...

What type of sounds are you aiming for? Obviously "less sterile" , but what sort of music/genre?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChéChé Frets: 304
    edited October 2017
    That’s really interesting, everything I’ve read about the Thiele says otherwise. Might try a different speaker in there.

Genre wise is a mix as it’s a studio amp, I like spongy near break up cleans (Frusciante, Mayer) and Santana leads.

I’m also using it for a metal project soon.  

Sorry I confused efficiency with wattage.
    See if you can find a JBL, or whatever the Eminence 'JBL-like' speaker is - the Commonwealth, I think. Or Weber California, if they do a 12.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

In any case, a properly designed ported speaker almost  always assume a near zero amplifier output Z  and those that don't use amplifiers of special design.

No valve OP guitar amp is close to zero OPZ! The whole Thiele concept for gitcabs is, IMHO adpuff bllx.

Dave.

Thanks @ICBM, always appreciate your insight :)

They do have a 12” California model, a note from the Weber site states it’s not for use for overdriven tones however. 

Favorite for Twin Reverb, or any amp required an extremely clean tone. In general, overdrive (from a pedal or from the amp) will sound somewhat nasally or harsh especially with the aluminum dome....

...If you are considering the California, and want clean AND overdrive tones, you may want to check out the Ceramic Chicago.”

From the sounds of that I feel it may be quite similar to what I’m getting from the EVM. I’ll check out the Chicago.
    Just tried it with the vintage G12-65 in my Marshall combo and really liked it. Given the Marshall is an open back combo what differences could I expect by placing the Celestion in the sealed Thiele cab?
    Ché said:
    Just tried it with the vintage G12-65 in my Marshall combo and really liked it. Given the Marshall is an open back combo what differences could I expect by placing the Celestion in the sealed Thiele cab?
    Much more bottom end, at least. Possibly other changes, but difficult to be certain without trying it.

The Thiele cab is not sealed - there's a huge gap down the side :).

edited October 2017
    ICBM said:

The Thiele cab is not sealed - there's a huge gap down the side .
    Of course it is ;D I’m having one of those days. Gonna pop the G12-65 I’m there and see how it fairs.