Ultimate Guitar's Tonebridge app... OMG!

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
I just stumbled across this and tried it out...  It is amazing...  Instant soundalike tone for every band you can imagine..  Most I've tried are far far closer than I would ever get with a pedalboard and several hours of tweaking - and it's FREE.  Completely free... No in-app purchases at all.  

Best thing I've found in years!

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    That's brilliant!  That's exactly the sort of UI I was talking about in the Helix thread, must grab this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds good but a missed opportunity to educate the user about the signal chains used in those iconic tones, IMO.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    It's the closest thing to guitar karaoke since Guitar Hero, but I can see it's going to be good fun for anyone just getting to grips with the guitar who doesn't know about signal chains and pedal orders and setup etc.

But for me, no thanks.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24210
    Obviously it's not going to be for everyone, but if you're trying to get as close as possible to the sound of a particular song and don't really enjoy spending hours fiddling about with different pedals, signal paths, settings etc etc, then it's an instant fix.

It's perfect for me as I'm in a covers band and my goal is to sound as much like the original aritist as possible.  For years I've spent countless hours tweaking fx to try to match the original sound, and usually end up close-ish but not quite right.  I get so frustrated fiddling with fx - I just want to play the guitar, not spend forever twiddling dials.
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I never bothered with anything like the irig but noticed they're cheap as chips for the first version. Might be worth a punt on one 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

Sounds good but a missed opportunity to educate the user about the signal chains used in those iconic tones, IMO.
    Exactly my thoughts, that's what I was hoping for when I downloaded it this morning.  There was another app that I can't remember the name of right now, but it looked like that's what that did. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Don't want much do you, you lot ?!  An app that not only gives you all the iconic tones of modern guitar, FOR FREE, but you're moaning that it doesn't explain to you how each sound was constructed ?  Jeez !
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Emp_Fab said:
    Don't want much do you, you lot ?!  An app that not only gives you all the iconic tones of modern guitar, FOR FREE, but you're moaning that it doesn't explain to you how each sound was constructed ?  Jeez !
    What interface thingy are you using it with? Any sort of massive lag or latency issues?
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    That looks really cool ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    I'm using a Line 6 Sonicport.  If I'm brutally honest, there is a microscopic, barely perceptible suggestion of latency, but it's so tiny you probably won't even notice it unless you are actively listening for it.  In any case, your brain adjusts quickly and you very quickly forget about it.  I do and I'm a fussy sod!
    I'm running it on an old iPad3 so I suspect it's not even remotely an issue with anything newer.

One great feature of the app is that you can set up virtual pedal boards so you can instantly switch between sounds.  I'm very impressed with the tones it produces and can only vouch for the accuracy of the ones that I'm very familiar with.  I've only found one that's not great so far and that was U2's Streets have no name.
  • Seems like a slicker version of what Line 6 were doing with guitar port probably a decade ago
    Deplike, is the other app I was looking at.  Forgot about sonic port, a UI like that. Would be a great addition to Helix
  • FloofFloof Frets: 17
    Clever way to sell tabs! Looks fun.

Tell you what though, he specced that Suhr to be UG. LY!