Did anyone here have a serious attempt at 'making it' with a band?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
I have a pal that I met down at the swimming pool morning sessions a few years ago. I can't see him so much these days as he lives some way off. I knew that he straps a guitar on and plays the odd pub gig but nothing else really. He's very modest and self depreciating, but we were chatting when I dropped by earlier in the year and he just happened to drop into the conversation the fact that he played at Wembley! I was amazed, but apparently his band were support for Simple Minds in the 80s. Sadly it all faded out, but at least he had a good shot at it.

Anyone get anywhere with the 'originals' band thing? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    edited October 2017
    I like to think I'm still giving it a go. I've played in countless bands since I was a late teen, did gigs and recordings at the early beginnings for experience, then the previous few started seeing tours, music videos, digital releases and features in magazines/TV. In 2014 I played Guilfest with the likes of The Blackout, Gallows and Soulfly.

The band I'm in now are signed to management and have over 32,000 monthly spotify listeners. I don't see myself as having made it but its a good place to be in right now and I'm enjoying it. We still have loads of work to do and I'm going to try as hard as I can for the next 5-10 years. Its very hard to make it in originals bands as we all know but the most important part is I enjoy it and its going quite well.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • One of the guys from Lonely The Brave posts here.  Check them out, good band.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26960
    I got as far as headlining the 2nd stag at Cornbury and doing a demo session for Universal but it never got further than that.

I gotta say that as much as I miss playing music that amount I don’t mind at all that I’m not involved in “the business”
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited October 2017
    Nope! Friends of mine have made it, does that count :(
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10402
    Do you know Elliot May @viz ?

She's teaching the singer in my Kate Bush tribute at Bimm

In the eighties my originals band was turned down by all the record labels we sent tapes too, probably quite rightly in all honesty. I'm actually back in an originals band now but the only adjective is to gig festivals and sell the odd album online independently 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Danny1969 said:
    Do you know Elliot May @viz ?

She's teaching the singer in my Kate Bush tribute at Bimm

In the eighties my originals band was turned down by all the record labels we sent tapes too, probably quite rightly in all honesty. I'm actually back in an originals band now but the only adjective is to gig festivals and sell the odd album online independently 
    Sang Do Your Thing? I don't think I've met her, but she has a cracking voice!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Been in a couple of bands on the verge of starting to get somewhere, done a couple of tours, recorded etc before it all seemed to fizzle out due to one member or another...
    Have played a couple of festivals though.. they were fun.

Now i'm just looking to play!
  • JasonJason Frets: 1103
    tFB Trader
    I tried from 18 - 27, when I passed that age it became just for fun. Two of the bands got close, the first got as far as getting in to Q Magazine, the 2nd had a little indie label interest but both just kind of fizzled out without any real drama.
    The Guitar Show, Cranmore Park, Birmingham | Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Podcast
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9526
    One of the guys from The Temperance Movement posts on here...
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    edited October 2017
    I was in The Vapor Corporation (2nd generation of The Vapors with lead singer Dave Fenton and his now wife as lead singer). 

We were nothing like The Vapors and more like a rocky Eurythmics. 

Industry showcases were done over the years and interest was there, particularly from EMI and producer Vic Coppersmith, but they were all looking for The Vapors and that sound again and it didn't happen.

The band split, Dave Fenton became an MU Lawyer and I went back to working in the music industry. However, he's been back on the road this year with the original Vapors minus the drummer. They sound good!

I wouldn't wish the music industry on anyone. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    I got as far as being in a band in the mid-90's that supported Manson when they were riding (relatively speaking) high with Wide Open Space. Also supported The Animals with the same band, although not sure how many original members there were.

So no, not really.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3306
    Nice one Dan @dindude, you dark horse :)
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Kebabkid said:
    Nice one Dan @dindude, you dark horse :)
    ''twas my britpop years! 
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited October 2017
    I was in a band that were the support act to Level 42. IIRC one gig was at the Manchester Apollo and the other was at The Blackburn Odeon. We had some interest but then it all fizzled out.

I really wanted to be a professional musician in my 20s and there were a few close calls. Some of the musicians I worked with went on to play with famous acts. I eventually accepted that my day job offered the best future for me.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3839
    I played on the same bill as Right Said Fred and supported the Candyskins. Anyone remember them? 
  • westwest Frets: 996

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    I played at Download a few years ago...immediately after which the singer quit and we couldn't find anyone else, so that was that  =) Another chap on this forum was in the band on straight after us that day too. Separately, I lived at uni with a few guys in a band called the Crocketts, so got to see the whole process a band goes through getting established, signed etc., which was really interesting (back before the internet was a huge thing). I remember one day they came back from London loaded up with Gibsons, Fenders and some massive amps that the record company had paid for, which was a bit of an eye-opener seeing as we were still living in student accommodation at the time.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I played at Download a few years ago...immediately after which the singer quit and we couldn't find anyone else, so that was that  =) Another chap on this forum was in the band on straight after us that day too. Separately, I lived at uni with a few guys in a band called the Crocketts, so got to see the whole process a band goes through getting established, signed etc., which was really interesting (back before the internet was a huge thing). I remember one day they came back from London loaded up with Gibsons, Fenders and some massive amps that the record company had paid for, which was a bit of an eye-opener seeing as we were still living in student accommodation at the time.
    Years ago we got a support slot to a 12 year old who was being touted as the next big thing. He had a couple of TV appearances and Gibson gave him a guitar.* It all fizzled out as far as I could see , he was good for a 12 year old but it turns out that’s not very entertaining for very long. Still, to get free stuff look cute and get on the telly. 

* a blue burst double cut Les Paul IIRC.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Was in a band that supported Manic Street Preachers and James Taylor Quartet in the early 90s.

Have written music for 1 feature film.

That's about it. Pretty much don't play seriously any more, too busy with other stuff. tbh don't miss it, I prefer jamming with friends more.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • In the current band over the last couple of years I have supported a few "classic" acts (Jah Wobble, Transglobal Underground, The Christians, The Quireboys!) and done a few medium-ish festivals: Boomtown on a main stage, Beautiful Days, Green Gathering etc.

I don't think we'll "make it" as such, but if we can become a staple festival circuit band that will be good. It would take a hell of a lucky break to be able to pay my mortgage off it!! But I am proud of what we've achieved playing instrumental music that came out of our brains. Long may it continue.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.