Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

12 stringers

What's Hot

Comments

• AliGorie said:

TOD, depending on what capo U have  
    The wrong one, clearly! :D

I'll need to have another look at something other than a G7th, it seems a touch hard, so when it clamps down it doesn't indent enough to fret the higher strings on the low E, A, D and G.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    '39' eh? That's a song I've not heard in a long time. Damn fine one too.

• markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I have a Taylor 150e. I bought it a couple of years ago because I'd never owned a 12-string, and this was the best at my price range.

My favourite songs to play are "More Than A Feeling" and "I Believe In Father Christmas". I'm learning "For Emily, Wherever I May Find Her" and bought a Shubb 12-string capo for it, which works fine. I would play some Byrds too but that obviously requires changing the octave pairs round.

I love having it here for a quick strum, because it's such a lovely sound, so I probably play it at least once a week, sometime more. I've also used it on a couple of recordings and it adds a lovely flavour that you just can't achieve any other way.

I have only had to restring it once, but it wasn't particularly difficult.

• KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    I have a 20yr old Sigma DM-12 which, despite a broken G tuner, sounds wonderfully jangly for the price. Not difficult to re-string, just takes a while to stretch and let all the strings settle. Not sure how the nevk would cope with alt tunings, though...

Adam
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    markv said:
    I have a Taylor 150e. I bought it a couple of years ago because I'd never owned a 12-string, and this was the best at my price range.
    I tried one of these when they first came out - and agree - they sound fantastic.

My only issue is the size of the things. I own a Dreadnought - but would prefer a smaller body on a 12 string. If they ever do a 12 string GS Mini, I’d definitely buy one.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459

My only issue is the size of the things. I own a Dreadnought - but would prefer a smaller body on a 12 string. If they ever do a 12 string GS Mini, I’d definitely buy one.
    Yes, definitely. My understanding is that the original Taylor 12 string body shape was the GS, and that's what I would have got, ideally. But my budget was way off anything except the 100 series.
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    they are the most fun I have had fully clothed, I adore them, makes anything simple sound special, and the fun you can have with 
    tunings is endless. I have 1 acoustic and 2 electric 12s, all stay in tune as much as a six string, 
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    Kalimna said:
    I have a 20yr old Sigma DM-12 which, despite a broken G tuner, sounds wonderfully jangly for the price. Not difficult to re-string, just takes a while to stretch and let all the strings settle. Not sure how the nevk would cope with alt tunings, though...

Adam
    I have an 89 DM12-1 Korean, still superb, never needed a set up. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    12 strings are the sounds of angels, love them.  The octave G string can be a right sod if guitar is tuned to E, always snapping - I'd recommend Eb or D tuning.

Open chords just sound stunning on a twelve string.

I WILL get one again sometime.  I quite like the smaller / higher tuned twelve strings like Veillette Merlin or Gryphon, and the Emerald Articus - very flexible for 12 string and mandolin type sounds (without having to learn a new fingering).

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • fobfob Frets: 1430

I played a Guild 512 which I think is considered to be the 12-string of 12-strings. It was fantastic - even made me sound good. I think they are going back into production early next year so it will be interesting to see their price-point. The Chinese built versions are very good by all accounts but I've not tried one.

Can't believe Bon Jovi's 'Wanted: Dead or Alive' hasn't been mentioned. Nor John Butler - although technically an 11-string:

I thought I'd post that as I'm sure you've all seen Ocean.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I wouldn't be without a 12 stringer.
    Makes a mediocre player sound a bit special.
    I tune down to D and don't find it harder to play than any other acoustic, in fact, it's easier on the fingertips than a 6 stringer.
  • SaddlepunkSaddlepunk Frets: 47
    edited October 2017
    Saw a photo of Huddie Lebetter holding a 12 string recently - he played fingerstyle with heavy strings!

Slide 12 string blues, in particular, does it for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Can't believe I forgot this one earlier…

Neil Young - Thrasher, on Rust Never Sleeps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I struggle with 6 so no chance with 12.
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited December 2017
    Saw a photo of Huddie Lebetter holding a 12 string recently - he played fingerstyle with heavy strings!

Slide 12 string blues, in particular, does it for me.
    I always liked this. 11 string (he doesn't have the high g) slide..

edited December 2017
    That's true, but he tuned down to C.

Older 12-strings were intended to be tuned at least down to D, since light gauge strings didn't exist back then and the guitars wouldn't take the tension of medium-gauge strings tuned to E, if if you could play them. I always keep my Martin tuned to D with slightly heavier strings (11s), it just sounds better like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    13-56 tuned down a tone 25 in scale purfect, loads o' sound and good tension for my picking hand to work of.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    I wouldn't mind getting a 12 string but get the feeling if I got one it would not get much use
    if it meant tuning up all the time and dreading restringing one. 
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    edited December 2017
    na - a half decent 12er shouldn't lose its pitch to bad - I restring 2 - 4 years - why - I do't kill strings or play that much.
    Mine is a plywood b/s cedar topped Alvarez-Yairi DY-72 12 string '87 - octaves reverse strung - very complex voice.Cost me £400 in he late '90's and it just sits there till a piece of music demands THAT sound.

Clashman said:
    I wouldn't mind getting a 12 string but get the feeling if I got one it would not get much use
    if it meant tuning up all the time and dreading restringing one. 
    I really don't get why there is a such a popular myth about this.

It's absolutely no different to having two six-string guitars which need to be restrung and kept in tune. If you have more than one six-string guitar - which I'd guess most people here do - why the fuss?

Particularly as generally, if you have both then the 12-string probably gets less than half the playing time of the sixes, so it's actually *less* hassle...

And I say that even given that my 12-string is a slot-head.