GT100 MultiFX instead of pedalboard

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• erky32erky32 Frets: 27
    ..that's very tempting to DI into PA, certainly from a gear/rigging point of view, but personally I like the thump of a backline 2x12 amp behind me, I feel something lacking with a PA mix (maybe I'm not doing it right!!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • erky32 said:
    ..that's very tempting to DI into PA, certainly from a gear/rigging point of view, but personally I like the thump of a backline 2x12 amp behind me, I feel something lacking with a PA mix (maybe I'm not doing it right!!)
    Well, it was an Elton John tribute act I was seeing (don't ask!), so there wasn't exactly much blazing hot riffing or face-melting solos! Did the trick fine though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 212
    Johnny Marr uses a GT-100 into Kempers for his live rig now. Will Sergeant of Echo & The Bunnymen tours a GT-8. Not my preference, but they do the job for those guys!
  • RogerRoger Frets: 20
    I recently bought a GT100 and have used it direct to PA and into the front of a Laney VC30. I basically have 2 patches the same one with a preamp (for PA) and one without (for the amp).

You read lots of comments about how analogue pedals sound better into amps etc. but to be able to take a single unit with huge combinations of effects to a gig which can also be used as a backup amp is a massive benefit.

As a standalone pedal board it sounds great, the drives are convincing as are the modulations and I would argue that any perceived digital sound would be smoothed out by the valve amp anyway.

As a preamp and pedalboard into a PA it sounds completely different to an amp on stage and that's a good thing! It doesn't clutter the mix in smaller venues and it keeps stage volume down, you get great tone without deafening the front row of the crowd, you get a consistent level all over the venue as your sound is going through the tops alone (and obviously you're onstage monitor).

Basically does it sound better than an amp and pedals - well if it's a pretty pokey valve amp with the volume at about 2 in a small venue then yes absolutely it does, not only does it sound better but the entire band will sound better for it.

I just want to add that a lot of people will judge the GT100 (or any other modelling pedal) alongside an amp. the trouble is unless that amp is absolutely cooking a couple of 12 inch speakers and the FX pedal is running through a PA at gig volume the comparison is a little flawed. What people think is digital 'harshness' isn't always the case - brightness perhaps - but if you stood in front of a twin reverb dialled in for killer tone you'd probably find that pretty harsh/ bright too!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter