Describing sound is hard..

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4979
My post on upgrading the pickups on my PRS SE Soapbar has highlighted the difficulty of describing the sound of the guitar.  Others too seem to have the same difficulty as they attempted to describe the sound of P90 guitars they own or played in the past.

What exactly is 'fat' sounding?  P90s are often described as more 'ballsy' than single coils as fitted to a Strat.  And so on.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Every item in your sound chain, strings, body, pickups, amp, speakers etc has its frequency response spectrum.  To my ear "fat" means a slight peak between 500Hz and 1kHz. Single coils don't have as much of a peak in this region.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    If I were to horribly characterise and generalise, single coils have clarity and a scooped twangy sound, p90s have clarity and more midrange emphasis - a slight nasal honk that cuts through at a lower frequency than single coil twang - and humbuckers have murk and lots of bottom and mids
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10341
    edited February 2014 tFB Trader
    A good P90 is a pickup that both smokes sixty Marlborough a day, gargles with Jack Daniels and razor blades ... but can still etch glass with it's top end at twenty paces :)
    Yet ... turn that volume knob down a little and it's milk chocolate covered silk ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    edited February 2014
    I kind of thought your p90 is a bit hazelnut with the volume down- fucking tasty!
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10341
    tFB Trader
    Grin :))
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• I once went to a conference talk by some guys who had some some really interesting research into how people describe sounds.

They had a keyboard/synth that had loads of different controls on it - things like eq, harmonic content, low pass filters, etc etc. However, all of the labels had been removed. They asked hundreds of people (music students, I think) to play with it and write down what each control "did" to the sound. They were then able to approximately correlate these descriptive words with whatever real feature of the sound was. It was really interesting stuff.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676

I quite like the way Doug & Pat have established a small vocabulary of terms that have specific meaning to them (ballsy, throaty etc.). They explain what they mean by these terms and then use them consistently.

It's makes it easier to understand how they contrast different guitars across different episodes of their show.

There's possibly a place for florid prose about various tones, but the Doug & Pat approach really works well for what they do with their YouTube show.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited February 2014
    @UnclePsychosis said:   I once went to a conference talk by some guys who had some some really interesting research into how people describe sounds. ... They were then able to approximately correlate these descriptive words with whatever real feature of the sound was. It was really interesting stuff.
    Do you have any idea if they posted anything on the net about this?  Or who they were?

I would love to have access to the research, it is such a subjective area,  cheers,  Chris.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104

When I used to play bass as my main instrument, the sound I was looking for was  "like a dumpling hitting a wall"
    Now I play guitar I want the sound of the "string's metal cutting through the overdrive".
    How these descriptions are interpreted by others is anybody's guess..... do I see blue as another person's red?

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    I'd like to get that sound of warm honey dripping off a razor blade.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    Poets make a living out of using words to describe stuff for us readers to resonate with...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I personally prefer a "plummy sound that's also chewy and accessible whilst still retaining great charisma ".

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    I go for an angular spiky sound just like an 80's flattop with a barbed wire crown and percussive undertones like tackety boots with many segs on doing a tap dance.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31569

57Deluxe said:
    Poets make a living

:-B
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom