How about a classic e-Type Jaguar with an electric motor

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Electric Landrover runs out in the middle of a 1000 acre muddy  field ... interesting logistical problem

Petrol land rover runs out in the middle of a 1000 acre field. 

Owner is labelled the village twonk and ridiculed for not checking his petrol tank. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4692
    blobb said:
    ...what's wrong? That my mate Moggy has been let loose on such projects? You have obviously met him! (that's a joke, he's a good mechanic really, completely nuts, but a good mechanic and an excellent rally driver).
    What's wrong is that horrible electrical whine - when you push the pedal down in a 911 you are supposed to hear a flat 6, not a fork lift.............
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    ...yeah he can be a bit like that at times, always going on about chopping roofs off Beetles. ;)
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Electric Landrover runs out in the middle of a 1000 acre muddy  field ... interesting logistical problem
    It would be more reliable than the petrol version ... Land Rovers are a pile of shite reliability wise.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3116
    edited October 2017
    Electric Landrover runs out in the middle of a 1000 acre muddy  field ... interesting logistical problem

Owner is labelled the village twonk and ridiculed for not checking his petrol tank. 
    Bloke takes petrol can out and refills it, electric landy bloke hires diesel generator and shxt  loads of cable etc
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648

Bloke takes petrol can out and refills it, electric landy bloke hires diesel generator and shxt  loads of cable etc

A Lithium Ion battery the size of a petrol can would get you around 10 miles of range in a Tesla. 
  • Electric Landrover runs out in the middle of a 1000 acre muddy  field ... interesting logistical problem

You can get lithion battery packs for on the go charging that are good for a few miles. Keeping one of those in the car is probably better than keeping spare petrol. 

So the village twonk gets a very long walk to get some petrol, or he just plugs in the spare battery in the back that won't leak petrol or smell at all :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    I'm sure people said much the same sort of thing about those new-fangled motor vehicles - impractical... always breaking down, limited range, you needed to find somewhere that sold that new fuel and so on. A horse is so much simpler and more reliable!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    ICBM said:
    I'm sure people said much the same sort of thing about those new-fangled motor vehicles - impractical... always breaking down, limited range, you needed to find somewhere that sold that new fuel and so on. A horse is so much simpler and more reliable!
    :-)

Very true ...

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    Whilst I can imagine the environmental appeal, it's like putting a gas turbine in a Spitfire.

There are certain things that shouldn't be.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    Electric cars were as common as petrol cars in the early days. New York Ambulances were electric for example before they were petrol. It's now going that way again, currently they have about 60 electric ambulances on duty.

As much as I like a good old classic car, particularity Jags it really is time to get the ICE off the road, at least in the cities while the air is still breathable. 

Lithium Polymer batteries have a much better energy to size, weight etc than the currently used Lithium ion batteries ... it's just they tend to be a bit dangerous if not charged right or kept at the right temperature. But petrol is a bit dangerous as well
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Danny1969 said:
    Electric cars were as common as petrol cars in the early days. New York Ambulances were electric for example before they were petrol. It's now going that way again, currently they have about 60 electric ambulances on duty.

As much as I like a good old classic car, particularity Jags it really is time to get the ICE off the road, at least in the cities while the air is still breathable. 

Lithium Polymer batteries have a much better energy to size, weight etc than the currently used Lithium ion batteries ... it's just they tend to be a bit dangerous if not charged right or kept at the right temperature. But petrol is a bit dangerous as well

There are also loads of new technologies being developed. Theoretically Copper Foam batteries can have 5 times the energy density of Lithium Ion. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The UK had the world's biggest fleet of electric vehicles - milk floats.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited October 2017
    Fretwired said:
    The UK had the world's biggest fleet of electric vehicles - milk floats.
    some of them were pretty quick, even the horse drawn ones

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/benny-hill/images/8/89/Benny_ernie.jpg

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27431
    Having sat in an e-type (friend's), I'd not choose one with a v12 nor electrics.

Too small, too awkward to get into and out of.

I long ago decided that I'd rather appreciate the beauty of classic cars from the outside at classic car shows, rather than actually owning one.

(I had a 3500 P6 for a few years as a "classic".  I prefer modern efficiencies!)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.