Cheap first amp - possibly narrowed it down to 2

What's Hot
Hi there, i hope someone who has experience with one or ideally both of the following amps as i am kinda torn between them. Firstly, the guitar i will be getting to learn on (please bear in mind this is going to be my first guitar) will be an epiphone les paul - one of the lower end cheaper ones, like the special ve or something, have tried one at a shop and looks like it will suit me fine (I do have my second guitar lined up but the wife has banned me from buying it until i at least get a little decent, lol) and after learning the very basics will be leaning towards rock/metal. Will literally just be playing at home, more than likely through headphones a lot of the time.
First up is a Marshall MG-15CF - have seen a lot of hate towards this amp but like the sounds from what i have seen on youtube, it also has an input to plug in an mp3 player to play along, something i would like to be doing in a few months once, hopefully the lessons and practice start to kick in. I also really like the simplicity of this amp, which brings me to the next choice which looks far from simple (in my very novice eyes, lol).
My other choice is a Peavey Vypyr 15. Again, i like the sounds this thing can make and it looks to be really versatile, the only thing putting me off is it looks a little too overwhelming and i feel i would be spending more time messing about with the settings/effects trying to get certain sounds than actually learning and playing the guitar.
I have seen both advertised locally for around the same price (£50 - £60). My mentality is to try and keep it simple to start with, something with just clean and overdrive sounds so can add in one or 2 pedals further down the road if wanted so the Marshall sounds ideal. On the other hand, the Peavey has more than enough effects built in to keep, i guess an experience player amused.
I know they are cheap and the saying goes you do get what you pay for however please bear in mind i am a complete beginner and only looking for something to get started on this guitar journey, the better/more expensive stuff can come further down the road when i start getting good enough to take things to the next level.
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read and possibly give constructive answers :)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have the Marshall MG15r for home practice and also teaching (I'm a guitar tutor) and its more than adequate. It actually sounds quite good with my Epiphone Les Paul with Bareknuckle Pickups, plus other guitars (strat/tele). I can run pedals into it if need be and it still sounds good. The DSL5c is good as well though a bit more money. Alot more. 15 watts is more than enough for home use.

I've heard good stuff about the Peavey Vypr, but haven't used one. I have a 6505+ though, but I can't use the 120 watts of power at home lol. In built amp-effects are good, saves plugging in multiple pedals. I also have a Roland Microcube and its got all the chorus/delays/tremelo/phase etc effects built in with 7 different amp models. And they actually sound really good! I think they do a 10 watt version so definitely check one out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If you were lucky you might turn up a blackstar id core of some kind for just a hair more.

If you want a better sounding amp without effects, a peavey like an old studio pro, bandit, audition other old transtube are cheap used and built well, with good sounds. @ICBM knows more models than me. 

Lastly, another oldie - marshall lead 12. Again, very simple but a good sounding amp for classic marshall tones at low volume. You'll need to go used, but they are sort of common and you might turn one up in the classifieds here. 

I don't mind the marshall mg amps terribly, but avoid the one with effects - they're terrible anyway :) 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    edited October 2017
    Can I recommend something like a s/h Line 6 Spider, great for home use and useful connectivity. I see from your post that want to keep it simple but trust me in vfm overall the Spider is a better choice than the Marshall or Peavey
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    I would get the Marshall.

If you want to use pedals with it later, avoid the Vypyr, Spider, Blackstar ID Core or probably any other digital amp - they just tend not to sound very good with drive pedals, unlike the more traditional analogue ones like the Marshall - they will work, but can sound either oddly harsh on a clean sound or completely compressed to the point the pedal makes little or no difference the sound on a dirty sound.

The MG-CF series of Marshalls also seems reliable, unlike some of their earlier efforts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2084

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    If you do decide to get one of the Marshalls I recommend spending a bit more and get one with reverb built in.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited October 2017
    Another vote for the Marshall CF. 

Also, take a squiz at the Orange Crush Pix series amps. Slightly more expensive than the CF but very simple and intuitive to use. Like the Marshall CF they are analogue. 

(Wrote that^  before watching the video above. The video does sort of imply that a sub £100 will always be horrible. Ok, they won't be the greatest amps ever, but they'll be perfectly good.  Remember that these guys are used to playing some very expensive top of the range amps.) 

As @ICBM has already pointed out, analogue amps will generally take pedals better than digital ones, and are usually a bit more organic sounding. (Digital amps can often sound a bit 'fizzy' particularly on the higher gain settings.)

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.
    I know what you mean about that video, those 2 guys seem very nice and the videos are informative/entertaining but i just get this elitist sort vibe off them so tend to try finding more 'average Joe' type reviews when researching.
    Will definitely be buying analogue when the time comes (need to sell my bass stuff first, lol) so can at least add a pedal or 2 down the road while doing my best to resist this 'GAS' symptom i hear so much about :)
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    I'd honestly go for a Blackstar ID Core 10 you should easily find one used for your budget and they are so versatile and fun to use.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've got a Blackstar ID Core 10 - cracking little amp with some sweet little break up tones. I now use it as my sons music player running a input cable into a phone. 
    I think I paid £35 used. 
  • If you were lucky you might turn up a blackstar id core of some kind for just a hair more.

If you want a better sounding amp without effects, a peavey like an old studio pro, bandit, audition other old transtube are cheap used and built well, with good sounds. @ICBM knows more models than me. 

Lastly, another oldie - marshall lead 12. Again, very simple but a good sounding amp for classic marshall tones at low volume. You'll need to go used, but they are sort of common and you might turn one up in the classifieds here. 

I don't mind the marshall mg amps terribly, but avoid the one with effects - they're terrible anyway :) 
    Is second the ID Core. The 10 watt version is plenty loud enough for home use, has some decent effects and takes headphones. You can also play music through it to play along with the songs you’re learning. 

Yiu our can pick them up for about £59 second hand. 
    I absolutely hated the ID Core, I thought it had a really artificial tone - and even worse with the stereo effects on. I'm not a fan of the Blackstar sound anyway, but it was terrible even by that standard.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It's amazing how different people's perceptions of kit can be.

The original Andertons video on the core 10 was several guitarists playing completely different styles with no pedals in sight.

That makes it, IMHO a strong candidate for a starter amp as it's lots of fun, and you can dial in hundreds of tones and see what you like and what suits how you play.

The original Andertons video on the core 10 was several guitarists playing completely different styles with no pedals in sight.

That makes it, IMHO a strong candidate for a starter amp as it's lots of fun, and you can dial in hundreds of tones and see what you like and what suits how you play.
    Hundreds?

Six different basic settings certainly, but every one of them had that muddy Blackstar sound with no dynamics and a really artificial character. The ISF tone control does next to nothing. Turn on the stereo effects and it sounds like you're wearing a pair of headphones wired out of phase. Horrible in every way.

If you want a cheap starter amp with lots of different sounds, good response to the guitar and decent effects, a Line 6 Spider 15 absolutely blows it away, and they're hardly the last word in tone. But at least they sound like playing through a guitar amp instead of a bedside radio...

• How about a Vox Pathfinder 10, 15 Or 15r.. Should be able to find one pretty cheap and I personally loved mine (15) whilst I had it. 
    I dunno if anyone with more amp knowledge would know of a reason not to? 

Of the two you mentioned though the Marshall would be my choice. I actually love the overdrive channel on those. Nasty, in a good way. 
    ICBM said:

Hundreds?

Six different basic settings certainly, but every one of them had that muddy Blackstar sound with no dynamics and a really artificial character. The ISF tone control does next to nothing. Turn on the stereo effects and it sounds like you're wearing a pair of headphones wired out of phase. Horrible in every way.

If you want a cheap starter amp with lots of different sounds, good response to the guitar and decent effects, a Line 6 Spider 15 absolutely blows it away, and they're hardly the last word in tone. But at least they sound like playing through a guitar amp instead of a bedside radio...
    OK, dozens... I like them anyway.

I've not played a Line 6 Spider 15 so I can't comment on those.  I do have two of the Blackstars though.

They do sound like Blackstars.. I'm not sure what their goal was but I think something like approximating various tones at the various voices, while having something of their own.

They were never going to win everyone over like that.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    How about a Vox Pathfinder 10, 15 Or 15r.. Should be able to find one pretty cheap and I personally loved mine (15) whilst I had it. 
    I dunno if anyone with more amp knowledge would know of a reason not to? 

Of the two you mentioned though the Marshall would be my choice. I actually love the overdrive channel on those. Nasty, in a good way. 
    Vox Pathfinder, especially if you can locate a 15, is a great shout. I’ve not heard a 10, but one of guys who comes to our local 12 Bar club has the 15 and it is a superb amp (and goes ridiculously loud for a 15W SS amp). Only thing is that AFAIK it doesn’t have an AUX input.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it