Jazzmaster Trem on a Mustang

What's Hot
JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
edited October 2017 in Making & Modding
Ok. One of my favourite playing guitars ever is my heavily modded jazzmaster. Amongst other reasons, the Mastery vibrato and bridge just work so, so well.

https://imgur.com/a/jVs1J

recently I acquired this Kurt Cobain Mustang which I love in most particulars, save the Adjustomatic bridge and trem which are frankly a bit pants.

so I got to wondering. Could a JM system be retro-fitted? Anyone ever tried it? I see there is a manufacturer called Jay Turser doing something similar but I'd kinda like to try on MY guitar...

https://imgur.com/a/xPO5U
Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    No answer for you but my god that Cobain guitar is lovely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    If you have the rout for a Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato tailpiece at the traditional distance from the bridge, it will expose the spring cavities for the Mustang unit. 

If you deliberately locate the Jazzmaster/Jaguar unit so that it disguises the original Mustang routs, you might not get the necessary string break angle between the bridge saddles and the string anchor plate.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    underdog said:
    No answer for you but my god that Cobain guitar is lovely.
    Hey thanks, man! It is a bit special, isn't it? Lucky late-night drunken Gumtree find...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    If you have the rout for a Jazzmaster/Jaguar vibrato tailpiece at the traditional distance from the bridge, it will expose the spring cavities for the Mustang unit. 

If you deliberately locate the Jazzmaster/Jaguar unit so that it disguises the original Mustang routs, you might not get the necessary string break angle between the bridge saddles and the string anchor plate.
    V helpful. Could you remove the Mustang assembly, glue in a chunk of wood and start from there, I wonder...
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    The Mustang vibrato rout is, literally, two narrow channels for the tension springs. If you imagine the wood between these two cavities removed, the result is pretty much the correct size to accept a Kahler Flyer or Pro flat-mount vibrato. 

In the specific case of the Cobain model, a properly fixed Tune-O-Matic style bridge replaces the regular moving Fender bridge item. The saddle spacings are different. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Sorry I can't help with your question. Just wanted to say you should look out for a Ryan Jarman signature Squier. It's basically a Mustang / Jaguar mix and it's great. A Musuar , Muguar, the way the Jagstang should have been. Whatever you want to call it... 
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Have you seen the Harley Benton ms60 ow? Pretty much a Mustang with a jm/jag trem, albeit cheap and nasty.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    Sorry I can't help with your question. Just wanted to say you should look out for a Ryan Jarman signature Squier. It's basically a Mustang / Jaguar mix and it's great. A Musuar , Muguar, the way the Jagstang should have been. Whatever you want to call it... 
    wow. That's it! Someone else got there before me... thanks for the heads up!
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I could be wrong but I'm sure the mustang body is not as thick as a jazzmaster so may be to shallow for the trem?
    JD50 said:
    I could be wrong but I'm sure the mustang body is not as thick as a jazzmaster so may be to shallow for the trem?
    Hmm Google images says I'm wrong!
    JD50 said:
    That's one of the potential problems. I had a chat with a luthier about this last weekend and he thought it could be done. Once I've sold a bunch of shizzle I shall start haunting the Mastery web store :grin: 
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    edited October 2017
    Ive read something about this on a forum somewhere, if the body is thin (35mm as opposed to 45mm) then I think it is difficult to machine the spring slots deep enough.....I vaguelly remember the springs not being an issue, is there a peg that protrudes down that the spring attaches to from the trem? the length of that is the issue I think......edit, the sprimg tension screw is the issue, a quick google suggests the spring routs need to ge 30mm deep.....if the body is 35mm (it appears some are 33mm) it would leaf very little room for error...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373

Bilinda from MBV did it first!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:

Bilinda from MBV did it first!
    So it is do-able. It's on.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    That was a custom build by Philippe
    http://www.dubreuille-guitar.com/
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    JD50 said:
    That was a custom build by Philippe
    http://www.dubreuille-guitar.com/
    Yeah a custom nody is the way to go. Honestly, a well-machined mustang trem unit works fine (a lot of the MIJ ones suck) and the stang vibrato is its own thing, different feel to the jag/jm. If the jag/jm trem with a short scale is what you want, I'd say get a jag.
    Or start with one of those Ryan Jarman jobs and mod the crap out of it
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    What about one of the new Fender Duo Sonics they released recently? They are all hard tail. Be worth checking them out.