Child car seat recommendations please!

LewyLewy Frets: 4189
For a 3 year old ready to move up from his rear facing seat.

Budget secondary to safety and comfort.

What’s good out there?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If you have IsoFix I would recommend the MaxiCosi RodiFix. I certainly felt it was safer than the non isofix versions and was actually a bit more compact. Leaves more room if you need other boosters in the car. Very easy to shift between cars or into the front seat
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    The recaro ones are very nice but pricey. See if you can find somewhere that will let you try them in your car too as some can be a bit annoying due to the shape of the seats etc
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4189
    Excellent. Thanks both.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Joie every stage. Will last till they're 12
  • Cybex Q-fix or equivalent. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    RMJ said:
    Joie every stage. Will last till they're 12
    They will probably be tall enough to not need one by 9 or 10.  My daughter is 9 and only 2cm short of 135cm - and she's one of the shorter ones in her class.
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    +1 For Recaro. Think the one we bought was about £160 at John Lewis. Technically fits the little one to when he's 10. But try getting a 10 year old in a car seat......
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6903
    We've gone for the Recaro's Monza Seatfix something or other after they got decent reviews on Which testing.

It's worth signing up to the £1 free trial with Which to look at their reviews...

We had get 4 of the Recaros but somehow ended up with 5  :s

I'm quite sure we have a brand new boxed of the latest model in black.

Pm me if that interests you at all. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I have a friend who works in Halfords.  He refused to sell us anything other than Joie ( we just got on, about to get another).  He also gets them for his other half for her child.  He reallllly knows his stuff and gets sent on training all the time for them.  
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Yea. Just to agree with the previous point we went for the Graco milestone when it was on sale a couple of months back and we're thinking of ditching it for a better seat. The straps and strap lock are fiddly as hell
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    We have the family fix maxicosi job that we bought for our newborn and is good to 4 years old. She's nearly two now and we replace her rear facing seat to fwd facing on this base and it’s great. Much better than other makes I looked at. I like the audible alarms if it’s not fitted right. 

edited October 2017
    When my daughter was old enough to move out of a rear facing seat we bought one of the multi-stage type ones that will last till she’s 12. Seems like a great idea, but she’s had it for about 5years so far and the cover/padding is starting to look pretty tatty (after getting various food, wee, vomit on it over the years, ewww). So I wouldn’t worry too much about getting one that will last till they don’t need one as you may want to replace it by then anyway.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Britax do one the lasts from2-12 or something we have two and they are great. 
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    BigMonka said:
    When my daughter was old enough to move out of a rear facing seat we bought one of the multi-stage type ones that will last till she’s 12. Seems like a great idea, but she’s had it for about 5years so far and the cover/padding is starting to look pretty tatty (after getting various food, wee, vomit on it over the years, ewww). So I wouldn’t worry too much about getting one that will last till they don’t need one as you may want to replace it by then anyway.
    The Britax also has washable covers ....
    capo4th said:
    BigMonka said:
    The Britax also has washable covers ....
    Yeah, it’s putting mine through the wash a few times that have stopped them looking as good (still function fine of course)
  • Recaros are awesome. They'll last a long time, get good safety rating, and have speakers built in so you don't have to listen to Peppa Pig chirping on! (The speakers are also a safety feature apparently as they encourage the kid to keep their head back against the seat.)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Get a £1 Which subscription where they are all safety tested. My daughters still in rear facing, but always started my research there. Many big name chairs fail miserably in extra strenuous safety testing. Just remember to cancel subscription before the month is up.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4912
    Stick them in the roof-box along with the luggage.

POP.

• edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    I 2nd the Cybex recommendation, either the Pallas or q fix
    http://cybex-online.com/gb/carseats/solutionq3fix.html

We have a couple and our kids love them
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    Nitefly said:
    Stick them in the roof-box along with the luggage.

POP.

Roof box? 
    Luxury! 
    When mine were little we just tied them to the roof rack.