Friedman runt 20 or 50 vs jcm 800 . Anyone tried one ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
as much as I love my jcm800 2203 I often wonder if there's a smaller and more practical amp that has the same sound and feel.

anyone know if the runt fits the bill ??!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    As I said before, try a Mini Jubilee! Through a good cab it's awesome. I played a 2203 and Mini Jubilee back to back through the same cab and didn't think the jube was that far behind in terms of tone and power - obviously it won't compete with the bigger one at full tilt but at similar levels it was great. It's not quite as raw sounding, doesn't clean up so well and the eq isn't as forgiving but it's got that classic heavy marshall sound without needing a boost pedal. Still cleans up nicer than my old Laney at any rate.

Probably not the greatest clip but here's a very rough band recording of mine just with the stock greenback mic'd with a 57. Through my H30/V30 2x12 it's bigger, smoother and fuller.

Listen to Rehearsal Recording - Pieces by tom_the_beast #np on #SoundCloud
  • TTBZ said:
    As I said before, try a Mini Jubilee! Through a good cab it's awesome. I played a 2203 and Mini Jubilee back to back through the same cab and didn't think the jube was that far behind in terms of tone and power - obviously it won't compete with the bigger one at full tilt but at similar levels it was great. It's not quite as raw sounding, doesn't clean up so well and the eq isn't as forgiving but it's got that classic heavy marshall sound without needing a boost pedal. Still cleans up nicer than my old Laney at any rate.

Probably not the greatest clip but here's a very rough band recording of mine just with the stock greenback mic'd with a 57. Through my H30/V30 2x12 it's bigger, smoother and fuller.

Listen to Rehearsal Recording - Pieces by tom_the_beast #np on #SoundCloud
    Thanks ! I played my mates 100watt jubilee the other week so I reckon I'll keep my eye open for a mini .
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I owned a Runt 50 and didn't think much of it, neither did I rate the mini Jubilee.

I found the Runt to be a but characterless, it doesn't sound bad but I never got excited playing it.

The mini Jubilee I was initially happy with but I found it a bit too fizzy ultimately.

If you are determined to go smaller I'd get a Mini Dirty Shirley or Pink Taco they sound considerably better than the Runt 

Ultimately id just keep the JCM and maube put the money into either a Fryette so you can push it more through your cab or go Two Notes and use with monitors at home.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That's a good point . I'm gonna start a thread about it .
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    Thanks ! I played my mates 100watt jubilee the other week so I reckon I'll keep my eye open for a mini .
    Fwiw I actually prefer the mini at the levels I play at - loud enough for band practices and I'd be happy to do pub and club gigs with it. Seems a bit smoother/less fizzy, guess because you can get the master up to where they sound best (6 and above really).
  • I tried a Runt 20 recently and liked it a lot. I tried the mini Jubilee and thought it was a horrible, fizzy piece of junk. Opinions, eh?
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent