Solo boost for a jcm800 - eq in fx loop or attenuator with switchable volume ??!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I like the amp far too much to get something else with 2 channels , but I I really need a solution to the lack of solo boost. 

In previous posts people have mentioned putting an eq in the loop or using an attenuator with a footswitcable volume. 
I'd like to hear other people's opinions and experiences , so far here are my thiughts. 

Eq in loop - quite easy to do I would think , but adds extra complexity with leads and stuff , and I'd need to get a wah in there somehow. Does having such a long cable length affect sound in any way ? Does it add noise ??Does it take anything away from the sound ? I've never used an fx loop before .

attenuator - more expensive , but would also help with the monstrous power and volume of a 100 watt jcm800. 
Does anyone make sn attenuator with switchable volume ? Does it take too much away from the amp ??

im interested to know what the best solution would be 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    I'm going to buy an attenuator for my 78 JMP but I'm also getting a Schaffer Storm pedal by SoloDallas. Check it out on YouTube 
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Do you want more volume or just cut through more so you stand out.

For years bands just used screamer equivalents for solos so surely it's something that should work for you unless I'm missing something.
  • DanR said:
    Do you want more volume or just cut through more so you stand out.

For years bands just used screamer equivalents for solos so surely it's something that should work for you unless I'm missing something.
    I already have a screamer in front set as a clean boost on all the time ! 
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    If you want a clean boost and your 800 has a loop then stick a GE-7 in the loop, done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I've always sworn by an EQ in the fx loop. Yes there will be one extra cable compared to an attenuator but that's the only downside. The cable length/quality in the fx loop won't affect your tone nearly as much as the cable infront of the amp. Just make sure you get a true bypass EQ.

The major advantage of an EQ pedal is that you can shape your tone at the same time as boosting your volume. A solo tone is often very different to a rhythm tone. I set mine to cut bass and treble whilst boosting mids, to get that round but cutting tone. If I boost the volume alone the tone will be ear piercingly sharp and thin.
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    i use a an eq pedal in the loop too. (Not a jcm800 but the principle is the same, obviously). I find it useful as i can cut the bass and treble a bit and boost the mids, that way i don't get a screechy solo tone that takes peoples heads off. 
    For the record its a cheap Biyang 7 band that i took a chance on and it works perfectly. No extra noise, doesn't effect my tone. 
  • Why would you put a wah pedal in the loop?

Anyway, wah and boss sd-1 out front, eq pedal in the loop. Boom! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    How many times have you asked this question? ;)

If the amp has a loop then an EQ pedal in the loop is probably the best solution. It does not have to be true bypass, in fact that would increase the problem of tone suck in a poorly designed loop. (But the reissue 2203 loop is properly buffered anyway.)

A simple passive volume box with a switch will also work. Session used to make one, not sure if the still do.

Weber make an attenuator with a footswitchable bypass, there are others but I forget which. You could also use a switchable parallel dummy load in combination with any attenuator if you want a simple fixed level change.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    GE-7 in the loop, then you get a choice of cut or boost.  A switchable attenuator would be a right piss on.
  • Ge7 it is !! How do you guys keep the cables tidy ?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ab2017ab2017 Frets: 20
    GE7 gets hissy unless modded. Something to consider.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • What's a good eq pedal that's not hissy ?
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    What about the switchable attenuator thing @goldtop is selling?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    The source audio programmable one is meant to be good - I'll probably end up with one of them as I hate how easily the sliders get bumped on a normal one.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10397
    Basically you just need a 10K pot in a box with a bypassable switch. You set the pot to back off the volume a tad, that's your normal volume. Then for solo's you hit the switch and it bypasses the pot to give the same volume you would get if there was nothing in the loop

The signal at the loop send  \ return isn't high impedance so there will be no loss of tone as far as I know

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I use a Joyo 6-band EQ. It's an MXR clone but the one thing it has over the MXR is that it's true bypass.

Not hissy as far as I can tell.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    ab2017 said:
    Only hisses if you are boosting quite a lot, use it as a cut with a bit of shaping and it won't add hiss.  The passive volume box is a good idea if you want a straight volume cut, but I think it's nice to have the option of a bit less kids in your rhythm sound

for £60 what have you got to lose, just try it, you've been talking about it for months ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-ge7-graphic-equaliser-effects-pedal-Mint-condition-with-box-/391911511706?hash=item5b3fbf169a:g:BdcAAOSwzXxZ7O5Y
  • John_A said:
    ab2017 said:
    Only hisses if you are boosting quite a lot, use it as a cut with a bit of shaping and it won't add hiss.  The passive volume box is a good idea if you want a straight volume cut, but I think it's nice to have the option of a bit less kids in your rhythm sound

for £60 what have you got to lose, just try it, you've been talking about it for months ;)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boss-ge7-graphic-equaliser-effects-pedal-Mint-condition-with-box-/391911511706?hash=item5b3fbf169a:g:BdcAAOSwzXxZ7O5Y
    Yeah you got a point !
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    The best way with an EQ pedal is to set it for a cut, that way you won't have any problems with overdriving the power amp when playing loudly (although that shouldn't be a problem with a 100 watt amp!)

So just set the amp for your solo tone, use the EQ to shape the rhythm tone and cut the volume and you are good to go.