Help educate me

What's Hot
underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
edited February 2014 in Theory
Or at least try, I can play the guitar, well in the sense that I can learn songs, lead lines, sometimes manage to work them out without tab, even sometimes I find myself able to play bits I've never learned (my fingers just kind of find the right notes) but I know nothing about what I'm playing and i do mean nothing.

I know the blues scale in one position and that's it, that's my entire guitar knowledge. So I need to learn pentatonics I guess but more importantly how to use them, and link different positions. So can you suggest some online resources please.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• There is some good stuff in both the theory and techniques sections of this forum, which will hopefully get better indexed to make it easy to find relevant stuff, however long it's been on here.

Justin Sandecoes website if full of free lessons and other useful stuff.
    He is a good and enthusiastic teacher, and a generous and decent human being, so go take a look.

Good luck, and enjoy the journey  
    :)

• TunezTunez Frets: 15
    If you have time take lessons. There are some marvellous musicians out there and you'll learn quicker and in a much more fulfilling way than wading through youtube or online lessons (which have a very mixed, sometimes questionable, quality). Speaking directly to another person sat right in front of you is infinitely better than anything else and its amazing how inexpensive lessons with truly great players can be.
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    Lessons will be tough at the moment due to work, it's a plan for the future though when things settle down.

Cheers guys.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

Blues Lead Guitar Series

http://justinguitar.com/en/BL-000-Blues.php

Justin is the man you need

scrool down for Blues Lead

Cheers mate I will set aside an hour tonight and make a start.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    Don't forget to learn to count, read the chapter about time in any theory text.  I helped many students who came to me like you, with no music knowledge but they knew some scale patterns.  Their main problem was when they tried to play a solo over something it sounded off even though they were using the right scale.  What was wrong was they were not paying any attention to tempo and the notes were just landing all over the place out of sync with the music.   

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

Cheers. I spent a couple of hours working through the blues bit and really enjoyed it, I'm will take a look through the rest and pick out what I fancy and avoid learning songs.
  • robwrightrobwright Frets: 736
    Justin Sandercoe has an amazing site - and its free!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom