SORTED : £150 for an acoustic

What's Hot

Comments

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    Tanglewood is the way to go imo
    Are you familiar with the TW170SS @Strangefan ?

Theres an ex display one on eBay for £199 that still has the tags on - they are £369 new on other sites. 

Looks good but im always nervous buying unplayed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    That the premier range one,,, yeah id be happy with that, dont forget if you buy it and its not to your liking you can send it back via distance selling regs :)

That the premier range one,,, yeah id be happy with that, dont forget if you buy it and its not to your liking you can send it back via distance selling regs :)

Yeah I’m thinking about just taking the plunge tbh! eBay are good for protecting buyers so can’t really lose. 

I messaged the guy (seems to only sell Tanglewood stuff so guessing he has an ‘in’ with them) to ask about the seemingly low cost and he said

‘it’s ex display that’s never been on display! A bit complicated but basically to do with Tanglewood price fixing’ 

I wonder if they give anything that’s cosmetically less than 100% to dealers cheap and have them sell them as ‘ex display’ ? 

He has 100% feedback from lots of sales so seems fairly legit. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I picked up a used Washburn wf10s, not long back for £94 delivered. I think it’s great!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WindmillGuitarsWindmillGuitars Frets: 731
    tFB Trader
    Vintage V300 - voted best guitar under £1k by Guitar magazine... worth a look
    www.windmillguitars.com - Official stockist of Yamaha, Maybach, Fano Guitars, Kithara Guitars, Eastman Guitars, Trent Guitars, Orange Amps, Blackstar Amplification & More! (The artist formerly known as Anchorboy)
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5418
    edited October 2017
    Anchorboy said:
    Vintage V300 - voted best guitar under £1k by Guitar magazine... worth a look
    These are excellent, particularly the mahogany variant if you can find it... Not sure it's the best under £1000 though (despite the accolade). 
    If it were me, I'd certainly be after a Jim Dandy too. Last year I played every small bodied acoustic under £600 I could find & Jim Dandy was second only to the Faith Naked Mercury, which is twice the price! SO much character & great fun to play. 
  • SparkySparky Frets: 90
    I'm following this thread with interest. I'm in the market for a non-dreadnought size guitar too. Are Vintage well made? What about Yamaha?
  • I know you said preferably not a dread but I have a gorgeous Lag that's just had a setup and is ready to rock at £100 if that's of interest?  It's got the matte finish which in my opinion looks LOADS nicer than the gloss and it plays and sounds fantastic.
    I know you said preferably not a dread but I have a gorgeous Lag that's just had a setup and is ready to rock at £100 if that's of interest?  It's got the matte finish which in my opinion looks LOADS nicer than the gloss and it plays and sounds fantastic.
    Thanks mate but too big for me, I’m just not comfortable playing a dread. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    Tanglewood gets my vote too. I've tried a few of the travel models where I work and they genuinely sound and play great for the money. I doubt you'll find much better within you budget.
  • steersteer Frets: 1188
    I picked up a secondhand Cort acoustic for a friend as their 1st guitar, which was ridiculously cheap.  Looked basic, but  it played and sounded very good indeed. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

About 8 years ago I was looking for a cheap £150-ish guitar just to keep at work to mess about on. After trying a few I stumbled upon an Aria dreadnought for about £130 which played and sounded excellent for an all laminate construction.

Aria also do smaller bodied guitars like parlour and folk size for around the £100 mark, might be worth your while checking them out. I still have the said guitar, although well and truly battered now, it still plays perfectly and gets played and knocked about every day, probably the best 130 quid I've spent.

Thanks all for your input. 

I actually have a real hankering for a parlour sized guitar and am chasing down an eBay lead at present....fingers crossed!
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    I can wholly recommend an Ashton if you can find one - mine is very good for the money!
  • Sparky said:
    I'm following this thread with interest. I'm in the market for a non-dreadnought size guitar too. Are Vintage well made? What about Yamaha?
    The Vintage acoustics are nice. Well made too. The V300mh is REALLY nice as are the Brett and Giltrap signature models, but those are more expensive. 

I've never been a fan of Yamaha acoustics (well not the lower end ones anyway). I don't think they sound great acoustically & the finish is thick & plasticy (which might dampen the  Acoustic response I  guess)- they're usuall good on stage though. 
  • I have a all-mahogany Tanglewood tw 133 asm parlour. Want 120 for it but I'm not into posting it. Do you get up north towards west yorks?

Thanks Camo but I’m all sorted 
  • No worries. Enjoy.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    Spill the beans then - what did you get? :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    NGD thread in due course! :)