Pedal order help

velvetsky01velvetsky01 Frets: 71
edited October 2017 in FX
Hi all

i need your help, I play a les Paul or a tele - I use a Vox Ac15 and  I have the following pedals....

poly tune mini
Dunlop mini wah
 ts mini
thorpy peacekeeper 
Tim 
strymon el cap
ep booster
lovepedal baby trem

that is my current order - I am unsure how to use my Tim and PK. I was thinking of using them with two levels of gain to let the amps  characteristics come through. Or use one of them like my “drive channel” type pedal and the other as a boost. But I can’t decide which is best

what order would you have it? Would you have a proper higher gain pedal instead? 
Anything you might add? 
Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12352
    Personally I'd have the El Cap last in the chain.

The EP boost would work well in front of your drives, to give them an extra kick or smooth out any grittiness (that you don't want). I don't know anything about the Peacekeeper but I always thought the Tim was another flavour of transparent boost/drive , so again would be best in front of any other drives. You could get a higher gain pedal, it depends if you gig really; it's certainly a lot easier to hit just one button rather than two when you want that particular sound. 

Ultimately there aren't really any hard and fast rules about pedal order. Play around with the order and go with what sounds good to you. Some things that shouldn't work sound great and vice versa. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26928
    I would run both Tim & PK on fairly low gain settings, so you have the option of running into the TS to boost that, and after to be boosted by it (or the other low gaiN). Your EP is then a solo boost just to give you "more" of whatever sound you're set to.

So signal chain would be whichever sounds better out of:

Tuner - Wah - Tim - TS - Peacekeeper - EP - Trem - El Cap

or

Tuner - Wah - Peacekeeper - TS - Tim - EP - Trem - El Cap

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Thanks guys

I went with this in the end (at the moment lol)

Tuner - Wah - TS - PK - Tim - Trem - EL Cap - EP

Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • If you have an effects loop it's worth trying out effects there- the boost in particular will behave very differently depending on whether it's boosting the preamp section of your amp or the power amp. At bedroom levels you might not hear much difference, but as the amp gets louder you may find that a booster in front of the preamp only adds distortion, not volume, or not very much volume. Fine if that's what you want...

I have an EP booster clone in my effects loop purely to boost volume for the odd occasions I need to get over a particularly enthusiastic drummer.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I run my EP in front of the CB Brothers.  But only really use it for single coil duties.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.