Anyone familiar with the Alvarez Parlour guitars?

My search for a small body acoustic has led me to the AP66 (hog) and AP70 (spruce) and I’ve got a bad case of GAS!

Anyone played one or both? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I played one ages ago and it sounded as flat as a pancake.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Alvarez are amazing Spanish guitars. That's their strength.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    Gassage said:
    Alvarez are amazing Spanish guitars. That's their strength.
    hu ??????????
  • vizviz Frets: 10646
    I've got a rc20sc. I love it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    I have a AP66, which I mostly keep at work and also use in the pub sessions. 

At work it's great. Good for practicing on or keeping myself entertained during slow periods. Played quietly it's warm sounding and is really quiet nice for a small guitar. 

At home it gets played because it's lying about, not because it competes with my Martin, but, that's the beauty of it I think.

In the pub it's out of its depth really. It's too quiet to compete with everyone else in terms of outright volume, though lead lines can cut through if overplayed due to the mids being quite prominent. I use it in the pub regularly, but, mainly as there's sometimes a dozen of us all squeezed round a couple of tables so you often get knocked, banged and sometimes wet from a spilled pint. It being small is an advantage in these situations. 

Buildwise it's OK. I really like the satin finished neck, love the dark sunburst finish of the top and the fit n finish is good for the money. I paid 250 though that was a while ago. I changed the tuners on mine for grovers, though that was a preference more than anything else. 

My dad has since bought one as a travel / caravan guitar to keep his Taylor at home.