Guitar Rig 5 Keeps Cutting Out?

On Laptop.

As in the title, Guitar sound cuts out....then followed by an annoying EEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Noise until I close it down. It's doing it every time I load GR5 in stand alone and frequently when GR is loaded through Cubase.

I have the latency settings on the same as I've always had and it only ever did it several times before in nearly 2 years. I'm guessing it is an issue with the Laptop rather than the software? Although the laptop doesn't appear to be giving me any other problems *touch wood* But they do slow down as they get older, it's only 2 years old though.

I've tried different (longer) latency settings, but it still does it. I optimise my disk (even though the laptop automatically defrags itself weekly)

I can only guess, but it may be cutting out when there is other activity that the laptop is doing itself in the background because I see the blue border of the window turn grey at times. Having said that, the laptop has always run it's own activity in the background, so I'm lost.

Any help? I'm pretty clueless with computers.

Thanks.
Only a Fool Would Say That.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Have you tried other ampsims, which would help to isolate whether the issue is specific to GR5?
    It's not a competition.
  • @stratman3142 not sure of the terminology? "Ampisms," do you mean other software like Amplitube? I don't have any other software unfortunately, only GR5 which came with Cubase.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited October 2017
    @stratman3142 not sure of the terminology? "Ampisms," do you mean other software like Amplitube? I don't have any other software unfortunately, only GR5 which came with Cubase.
    Yes I meant other software that simulates a guitar amp. If you don't have other software you could try a free demo of other amp simulation software, just to check if you have the same issue.

For example, I believe there's a free version of Amplitube and a demo version of S Gear. Also, I believe there's a free or demo version of LePou. 

Another thing to try is does Cubase have the issue when GR5 isn't loaded?
    It's not a competition.
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    My copy of Guitar Rig 5 does exactly what you describe. I felt it was an over-zealous licensing system but I couldn't be bothered to solve it, and then I got my Cornell and it's now months since I tried running GR5.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Have you licensed GR5? Sounds like it is in demo mode. GR5 doesn't come with Cubase (GR5 is made by Native Instruments and Cubase is made by Steinberg which is owned by Yamaha) - depending on the version of Cubase you have there is a guitar sim VST you can load.

Amplitube do a free basic pack with a few amps and pedals.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/amplitubecs/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Mine is licensed.  I got it during one of their 50% off sale events.
    edited October 2017
    @Bellycaster here are a few long shots.

When you click on the Guitar Rig logo at the top left of the interface, does it say full licence and does it say version 5.2.2 (R8) which is the latest version. If not, it might be worth updating.

Also, is your operating system 64bit. I expect it will be if the laptop is fairly new. If so, is the GR5 VST version you have 64 bit?
    It's not a competition.
  • Thanks chaps, I'll address all the points on here later when I get chance.

Not sure what Revsorg means with "Over Zealous Licencing System"

@revsorg
    @Bellycaster - if you have Guitar Rig 5 in demo mode it turns off after 30 minutes (I think) and that seems to be when it shuts down, despite me running a licensed copy.  This makes me think it's something to do with the licensing system failing to work properly.  It would rather turn the software off, which is particularly frustrating when you're trying to use it.
    revsorg said:
    @Bellycaster - if you have Guitar Rig 5 in demo mode it turns off after 30 minutes (I think) and that seems to be when it shuts down, despite me running a licensed copy.  This makes me think it's something to do with the licensing system failing to work properly.  It would rather turn the software off, which is particularly frustrating when you're trying to use it.
    If I recall there's a demo period (something like 30 days) after which you get bursts of white noise until you license the software.

• @Fretwired ;

@stratman3142 ;

@revsorg ;

It appears to have behaved itself tonight but please read on. After recalling the facts correctly, the GR5 came with my Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 as did the basic Cubase (which I've since upgraded last year). I also got Kontakt 5, Reaktor and other bits and bobs with the KA6.

It is the latest 5.2.2 (R8) Version and Full Licence when I clicked on the Guitar Rig Logo.

The Cubase without GR5 loaded was good as was GR5 in stand alone, didn't try GR5 loaded in Cubase as time is moving on, but figured it would be ok.

So, I'm stumped as to what was the issue, it was faulting in way less than 30 mins, more like 2 mins, every time I closed down and opened it up again. Made a damn fool out of me, but it was playing up.

Any inklings, chaps?
  • @stratman3142 ; My OS is 64bit(Windows 8.1), I can only assume the GR5 is as it had no real problems before, is there a way to check? The Cubase is also 64bit version that I'm running.

Ta.
    edited October 2017
    This may not be the problem by the way.

Find the file(s) called Guitar Rig 5.dll

I've actually got two versions of the Guitar Rig 5.dll file, which were installed by the Native Instruments installer.

The 64 bit version is in the VST path I've defined in my DAW (which is my case is Reaper).

To avoid any confusion/conflicts, I keep the 32 bit version well out of the way in a separate folder that isn't defined as a part of my VST path in Reaper. It's not used, so it's not needed by me.

I've just had a look at the two files by right clicking on the file > selecting Properties > then clicking on the Details tab. 

For the 64 bit dll the Product Version states 5.2.2(x64).
    For the 32 bit dll, the Product version states 5.2.2 (IA32)

But this might be a complete red herring.

It's not a competition.
    @stratman3142 ; My OS is 64bit(Windows 8.1), I can only assume the GR5 is as it had no real problems before, is there a way to check? The Cubase is also 64bit version that I'm running.

Ta.
    What version of Cubase are you running?

• Fretwired said:
    @stratman3142 ; My OS is 64bit(Windows 8.1), I can only assume the GR5 is as it had no real problems before, is there a way to check? The Cubase is also 64bit version that I'm running.

Ta.
    What version of Cubase are you running?
    Cubase LE AI Elements 8
  • Guitar Rig 5.dll  :#

OK @stratman3142 this is the bit that gives me suicidal thoughts ;)

I recall totally not understanding this part when installing it, luckily, a kind man on here guided me right through it.

Anyway, I've located it (even though the useless Windows search function couldn't find it)

This PC>Windows(C)>Program Files>Native Instruments>VST Plugins 64bit>Guitar Rig 5 .dll

There is a separate folder for VST Plugins32bit in the Native Instruments folder.

Is this what you wanted to know? :)
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it?
    edited October 2017
    Guitar Rig 5.dll 

OK @stratman3142 this is the bit that gives me suicidal thoughts

I recall totally not understanding this part when installing it, luckily, a kind man on here guided me right through it.

Anyway, I've located it (even though the useless Windows search function couldn't find it)

This PC>Windows(C)>Program Files>Native Instruments>VST Plugins 64bit>Guitar Rig 5 .dll

There is a separate folder for VST Plugins32bit in the Native Instruments folder.

Is this what you wanted to know?
    I suspect this isn't the cause of the problem, so I'm worried we might be going down the wrong route to resolve the issue and are over complicating things.

Anyway if the problem occurs again in Cubase, you could try the following, just as a simple test.

Do you happen to know the folder path (or paths) where Cubase looks for the VSTs?  Within Reaper you can define this in the preference settings. I've got a 64 bit Windows 10 OS so, in cases where there are VSTs with 64 bit and 32 bit versions, I make sure that the 32 bit versions aren't in a folder path defined in the preferences in Reaper, so there's no ambiguity.

As you've got a 64bit OS, if the 32 bit version happens to be in a folder path where Cubase looks for VSTs you could try temporarily moving the 32 bit Guitar Rig 5.dll out of the folder path (e.g. move it onto your desktop or wherever) and see if the issue still occurs. If there's no change then move it back.

One would hope that the DAW would know how to deal with these things, but I'm a bit OCD and a control freak when it comes to VST management, so I try to avoid potential issues in the first place.

It's not a competition.
  • I agree @stratman3142 I think it would have caused problems waaay before now if I'd put the 32 bit into Cubase.

The only thing I can think is that I may have accidentally put GR5 in demo mode by scrolling through some of the presets when trying to find my saved presets or something, but who knows.

I did find the Plug-In Manager in Cubase and found GR5 listed but the information of whether it was 32 or 64 bit was not apparent.

Let's see what happens next time, it behaved last night so fingers crossed.
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    If you have Native Access installed on your machine, that should tell you what NI plugs are licensed on your system.