The new Ed O'Brien Strat

What's Hot

Comments

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 537
    That's a helluva guitar. I want one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 5784
    Once the new custom guitar is paid for, the EOB Strat is the next one to save up for.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 146
    I think I might get one of these. White Strat, nice pickups, interesting additions, fat neck.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 103
    That video was funny.

I love Radiohead but have definitely never thought I'd like to get the same gear as eob.

Wonder why fender didn't just call it the sustainer Strat or something, I doubt eob's name carries much cache.  When I first read about this I didn't even know his name (only knew johnny Greenwood)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 929
    edited November 15
    This is the best new thing Fender have done in a LONG time. And I'm not even really a huge Radiohead fan.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Really want one of these. I'll add it to the gas list. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 3294

I never even noticed it doesn't have a normal Strat jack socket until I watched that video.  What a dolt I am.

That was a nice demo.  I don't normally pay much attention to the MIM models but the 10/56 neck makes this one very interesting...

• Nearly a grand for a Mexican strat with a couple of aftermarket pickups.... Ouch.

• Dan_Halen said:
    Nearly a grand for a Mexican strat with a couple of aftermarket pickups.... Ouch.

To be fair the higher end mim stuff is pretty great. 
    That's just the way prices have gone the last few years, unfortunately.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 2402
    So much want. So little need.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 146
    edited November 15
    I paid around £900 for my MIM Roadworn Flea Jazz bass and because of the colour, pickups, and electronics all round, it is a SUPERB bass for the money. I prefer it to my MIA J bass. I think high end MIM gear is really really good now.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • It looks like a brilliant guitar at a reasonable price. I'd much rather have this than a US Standard (whatever it's called now). 

I'd venture it'd cost a chunk more to get a new Mexi Standard and have a decent tech fit a sustainer, and you'l still have a Mexi Standard that's worth maybe 450 with the wind behind it. This will be a better guitar and worth 600 any day of the week.
  • Kinda want this, anyone got stock...?

Not sure about the fat neck, would probably want to try it!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 103
    Dan_Halen said: 
    Nearly a grand for a Mexican strat with a couple of aftermarket pickups.... Ouch.

To be fair the higher end mim stuff is pretty great. 
    I'd agree with this, I have a 50s Precision bass and its quality is very good.

At the high end of the mim price range, some of the price difference is purely wage differences. I'd prefer to buy high end Mexican than low end American. Only reason I didn't with my Strat is because the American had the specs I wanted.
  • Kinda want this, anyone got stock...?

Not sure about the fat neck, would probably want to try it!
    Gear 4 Music estimated delivery is 14th to 16th February, so looks like a bit of a wait to try one out. Must admit I'm interested after watching that video.
  • cllmcllm Frets: 4
    I know this is super lame of me but I'm really digging that neck plate. Not usually into hippy stuff but that engraving is v. aesthetic.
  • Dan_Halen said:

-the neck pickup and accompanying gubbins would cost you £300 to buy at retail, and that's before you fit it. 

It seems expensive but compared to the cost of doing it yourself it's pretty fairly priced. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 5069
    Haven't watched the demos yet, but I know I want one!
  • Each to their own I guess.

I've had a road worn Strat and let it go because it was so lifeless and lacking compared with my Plus Strat and AVRI one (which cost me £500 and £750 respectively). I'm no cork sniffer - I bought the road worn because I loved the look of the guitar and how it was on paper. It just felt so... underwhelming compared with my others no matter how much I wanted to love it. 

People seem to want to compare this with other 'high end' mex strats - what's high end about this one beyond the pickups costing as much as the rest of the guitar? The road worn had nitro, relic work, a nice sanded neck - a custom shop vibe for the MIM range. This has the pick-ups and a different neck (with the neck shape having no bearing on cost).
  • Don't get me wrong as well - if you buy one and it works for you then good on you. There's no right or wrong and if it floats your boat only you can decide the right price. I just struggle to see this a nearly a grands worth of instrument - you must really want a sustainer to pay 950 for a 500 guitar.

It does look cool though.... :-D
    One of my little niggles - and this is an aside in a way - is that whenever a Signature Guitar is reviewed, 99 times out of a 100 the demonstrator just plays the original players songs. Sort of makes these guitars look like they're for tribute acts. Whereas most signature models are pretty high end guitars that you can do anything with. In fact - oh the irony - we're told the EOB Strat is a modded Eric Clapton Strat! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Oh - and I love Radiohead so I wasn't having 'a go' from that angle.
    AlexC said:
    One of my little niggles - and this is an aside in a way - is that whenever a Signature Guitar is reviewed, 99 times out of a 100 the demonstrator just plays the original players songs. Sort of makes these guitars look like they're for tribute acts. Whereas most signature models are pretty high end guitars that you can do anything with. In fact - oh the irony - we're told the EOB Strat is a modded Eric Clapton Strat! 

Is that what the guy was playing in the PMT review clip?  I've never really listened to much Radiohead so I didn't know, although of course I'd have guessed as much.  It sounded good to me.

I guess in a demo like that the artist's own material is a good place to start, but then the reviewer could go on to show what else the guitar can do.

• Dan_Halen said:
     I just struggle to see this a nearly a grands worth of instrument - you must really want a sustainer to pay 950 for a 500 guitar.

---problem is, stick the sustainer in a £900 guitar and you'll be paying £1200 for "a £900 guitar". That technology is expensive and there's no way round it. 
  • impmann said:
    Once the new custom guitar is paid for, the EOB Strat is the next one to save up for.

Remember that room of too many guitars you had and how you felt better after getting rid of a load??
    2016 No-GAS Challenge
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • I want one, seriously.

My understanding is this is a new production model?  Not a limited edition?
    I want one, seriously.

My understanding is this is a new production model?  Not a limited edition?
    Think so.  But presumably its shelf life will depend on popularity so - no offence to Ed O'Brien - I suspect it won't be around for very long.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 3340
    What DOES Ed do? Lol
  • DesVegas said:
    What DOES Ed do? Lol
    To be fair to Ed, a surprising number of memorable guitar lines from the first three albums, and probably even more from their more recent output, are him.

No band really NEEDS three guitarists I suppose, but he could have afforded to retire years ago if he was bored with it!