Traditional Fender amps tremelo/reverb order?

RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940

Of the more traditional Fender amps I have only owned a 65 Twin Reverb Reissue, a long while ago, and I can't for the life of me remember if the tremolo came before the reverb or after it.

What order do Fender amps have the reverb and tremolo and how important is this order in contributing to the classic sounds of those amps? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MartinBMartinB Frets: 196
    The Reverb comes before the Tremolo, which seems counter-intuititive compared to modern ideas about effects order.  It does sound distinctive though.  
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3144
    edited October 2017 tFB Trader
    Depends on the Tremolo type - Opto, Bias, or Harmonic, and the output stage architecture
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13940
    edited October 2017
    RiftAmps said:
    Depends on the Tremolo type - Opto, Bias, or Harmonic, and the output stage architecture

OK, so did/do Fender vary this from amp to amp?

Which ones have trem before and which ones after?

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3144
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

OK, so did/do Fender vary this from amp to amp?

Which ones have trem before and which ones after?

Actually, I've told a porkie.

When Fender first introduced onboard Reverb to their amps (1963 Vibroverb), it was placed before the tremolo, and has been ever since.

My line of thought was that different types of tremolo are 'injected' (poor term, sorry) into the circuits at differing points, depending on trem type and OP stage.

Sorry, on holiday and not thinking clearly.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

OK thanks

• TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3200
    Although not amp related, having been messing around with my pedal order recently I’ve certainly found reverb followed by trem sounds best (to my ear) and most authentic, whereas for years I’d had it the other way round and to be honest it just didnt sound as good. Seems logical that the same would be true of the signal path through an amp.
    edited October 2017
    Although not amp related, having been messing around with my pedal order recently I’ve certainly found reverb followed by trem sounds best (to my ear) and most authentic, whereas for years I’d had it the other way round and to be honest it just didnt sound as good. Seems logical that the same would be true of the signal path through an amp.

I agree, I would always place reverb last on a modeller like Helix or separate pedals as it seems logical to place the sound of a room space at the very end, but as you say, to be authentic to Fender design trem should follow spring reverb which is less logical!

My amp, Victory V40 Deluxe, has a bias trem and it follows the Fender design in placing it after the reverb.