Reverb choices? Talisman, Topanga, Meteore...

DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
I'm in the market for a reverb pedal, and have whittled down what I'm after to one of these three.  Anybody with any experience of one or more of them? 

If it helps, I'm after something spring/plate-flavoured for (I guess) alt-to-shoegaze-ish type sounds.  I use a Stereo WET on one board, and I'm after something mono with plenty of character for a second board.  Keep coming back to demo vids of these three in particular, and just after some firsthand opinions of 'em.

Cheers

New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    I fancy a Topanga...I’m currently using a jrockett boing
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    I've been using a Talisman for a little while now and it's absolutely superb. Highly recommended. I used to be a spring fan, but now I'm finding that plate is more versatile. I a/b'd the Boing and the Topanga in Anderton's and actually preferred the Boing for its ready-to-go tone, but it was only a quick test. I'm sure the Topanga is superb once you get used to the controls. It's based on a Fender outboard tank rather than a combo tank I believe.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Another Talisman fan here. I've had mine a while and like it for a number of reasons.
    1) It works well in front of an amp, whether it's clean or dirty. This is a major plus if your amp doesn't have an effects loop.
    2) There's no novelty sounds. I found I got bored of shimmer or modulated type verbs pretty quickly. The controls on the Talisman enable you to have a wide variety of reverb tones that always sound "right" - there's nothing sickly in there and you can go from super subtle to epic ethereal with ease. 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    edited October 2017
    Thanks guys.

You've pretty much confirmed my thinking, too.  I do have a few amps with proper spring reverb, and really like the plate reverb sound...when I had a Zoom CDR, the Plate was my goto reverb, every time.  Whilst I find the extras of the Topanga and Meteore appealing (the modulated secret mode, and the gained up driven verb), they would definitely be of the "look at me!" school of reverb, rather than the "let me get on with my job" camp.

Talisman it is then!
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    I love my Topanga, really fancy trying the Talisman. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3820
    Thanks guys.

You've pretty much confirmed my thinking, too.  I do have a few amps with proper spring reverb, and really like the plate reverb sound...when I had a Zoom CDR, the Plate was my goto reverb, every time.  Whilst I find the extras of the Topanga and Meteore appealing (the modulated secret mode, and the gained up driven verb), they would definitely be of the "look at me!" school of reverb, rather than the "let me get on with my job" camp.

Talisman it is then!
    You won't regret it. Let us know what you think when you get hold of one.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    I like the Boss FRV-1 best for spring, not so much ambient shoegaze