Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pedal for Stonesy/Petty rhythm crunch

BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
I've always been a pedals minimalist, getting by for years using the amp for dirt/reverb and a Boss chorus pedal to add a bit of character for rhythm.  I'm looking to expand my sound palette a bit as well as have a set up that I can use with clean amps (Rivera/ZT Club).  Also to make some inroads into my ignorance about effects.

I have a Line 6 M9 that I intend to use in conjunction with a couple of dirt pedals, an Xotic BB Preamp and a.n.other.  The second pedal to deliver rhythm crunch and hopefully stack well with the BB and be compatible with my amps. 

I'm interested in some of the Fender in a pedal options like the Tech 21 Blonde, Les Luis and Caitlinbread F5, thinking they could add some Fendery goodness to the Club in particular.  But I'm coming at this without much knowledge and could be persuaded that there are better solutions.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17597
    tFB Trader
    The pedals you suggested are all probably good choices. 

A personal favorite of mine for Tweedy sounds is the Liquid Sunshine. 

If you like Xotic you might also try the AC Boost.

It might also be worth trying the humble Tube Screamer or derivatives thereof. 
  • Lazy J cruiser if you like your tone/sound from amp. Expensive though
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I believe the Xotic Preamp is basically a modified Tube Screamer, so I was thinking possibly something with a different flavour?

Swapping out amps is maybe a medium-term option but not something I'm looking to do right now.  If/when I do portability will be a huge factor.
  • NPPNPP Frets: 236
    I have an F5 clone which does what you want, so the real thing would work at least as well I suppose

tFB Trader
    I believe the Xotic Preamp is basically a modified Tube Screamer, so I was thinking possibly something with a different flavour?
    I wouldn't let that put you off. 

There are plenty of pedals that are based on a TS that sound nothing like one. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2014
    I've got both the Les Luis and the Catalinbread Formula 5F6, both are great. The 5F6 is suspose more versitle as you have full eq, but the Les Luis is just spot on out of the box for the sounds you're after.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30887
    The humble Boss BD2 is fab at this.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• +1 on the Les Lius.... Great for that kinda stuff =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I'd agree with the suggestions for a Liquid Sunshine or Lazy J cruiser - both are on my list to grab (again)
  • The pedals you suggested are all probably good choices. 

A personal favorite of mine for Tweedy sounds is the Liquid Sunshine. 

If you like Xotic you might also try the AC Boost.

It might also be worth trying the humble Tube Screamer or derivatives thereof. 

I believe the Xotic Preamp is basically a modified Tube Screamer, so I was thinking possibly something with a different flavour?

I'd say the Liquid Sunshine would be a great choice. It's got a really nice balance of warmth and grit. 

The Xotic is really 'hi-fi' -  you can literally dial it in so that if you play softly you can barely tell it's switched on because the clean sound comes through pretty much perfectly, then the crunch jumps back out when you dig in. All very impressive in demos, but how important is that really? When I think about that sort of sound, I tend to associate it with recent blues-rock stuff like Govt Mule and Joe Bonamassa. Which is all very well but I just find the graunchy old classic stuff tends to float my boat more, and that's more the sort of feel that the Liquid Sunshine has - it just sounds *right* - you pretty much set the internal treble/bass switches to match your amp, dial it in once, and you're done.

• Is this the kind of place where you can bring up the joyo clones of the tech21 stuff?
    Sound pretty darned good and cost the same as a round of beers.
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Have a look at the Catalinbread SFT too - there are some Stones-ish demos using it. Counter-intuitive maybe, but worth a look.
  • If you don't care about names and want an insanely good value pedal which does just what you're looking for , try out the Joyo AC Tone. I have one on my poard for exactly the Petty/Stones edge-of-breakup tone you describe.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Menatone Top Boost in a Can. Great pedal.
  • Oh, the Toadworks L'il Leo and Leo Jr. They don't make them anymore but they pop up cheapest on eBay. I still fancy a Catalinbread no 5 for that more Neil Young type thing.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    BOSS FDR-1?
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2592
    Thanks for the input guys, some good advice here.

One thing I was thinking re the ZT Club - I vaguely recall someone saying they put a Tech 21 Blonde in the effects loop so that the pedal (if I understand this correctly) effectively become the pre-amp.  This appeals because the club is a great, loud, clean, portable amp but not the most characterful. Again if I've got this right the Joyo clones wouldn't work for that because you can't switch off the speaker sim.

Welcome any thoughts on whether this might work........

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3305
    edited March 2014
    The Way Huge Pork Loin is also another goody and it's very zingy and transparent. The Liquid Sunshine III is damn good too and has a touch more gain. Surprisingly, the Fulltone OCD with the gain turned down very low works too.
    tFB Trader
    Blueingreen;175613" said:
    Thanks for the input guys, some good advice here.

One thing I was thinking re the ZT Club - I vaguely recall someone saying they put a Tech 21 Blonde in the effects loop so that the pedal (if I understand this correctly) effectively become the pre-amp.  This appeals because the club is a great, loud, clean, portable amp but not the most characterful. Again if I've got this right the Joyo clones wouldn't work for that because you can't switch off the speaker sim.

Welcome any thoughts on whether this might work........
    You may want to try one of the amt pedals with two channels

• midiglitchmidiglitch Frets: 172
    Another +1 for the liquid sunshine. It was my very first thought when I read your description of what you're after