Fender amps and Rickenbacker guitars

TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
I've mostly played my Rickenbackers through my Vox amps (AC30 and AC4) and they sound great. I recently.bought a Fender Super Champ X2 after a couple of recommendations and it's a cracking little amp. My Fender Tele, Fender Strat and Gibson SG sound amazing through it (some of the presets aren't my bag but hey ho...). Disappointingly the Rickenbackers (6 and 12 string) don't sound so good, I can't put my finger on what it is that's not so good. I know I could tinker with the Fuse software and will no doubt do that at some stage in the near future but haven't got around to it yet. It got me to thinking do Fender amps and Rickenbacker guitars make good bedfellows? Tony
We are all Chameleons...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    A lot of Peter Buck's early recording was done with his 360 through a Fender Twin apparently...

Which pickups do you have? For me personally, the Toaster pickups don't go that well with Fender BF/SF amps, but the High-Gains do.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Here's one hell of a Fender/Rick combo: 

Here's one hell of a Fender/Rick combo:

x2 :)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    A lot of Radiohead is a Rick through a Twin.
    edited March 2014
    Are you sure? I thought Ed O'Brien (the Rick player) used AC30s and Mesa Trem-o-verbs mostly. Jonny Greenwood used a Twin but never a Rick as far as I know. Although I could be wrong, as I'm not a fan really.

Here's a surprising one too!

This is a Beat Club recording so the amps are the show's provided Selmers, but they used Fender Showmans originally.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    And, let's not forget, most of the Smiths.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    The Internet reckons that despite the video, This Charming Man was a Telecaster, though Johnny Marr used mainly Rickenbackers in the Smiths.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    He did, on Top of the Pops. ;)
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    ICBM said:
    A lot of Peter Buck's early recording was done with his 360 through a Fender Twin apparently...

Which pickups do you have? For me personally, the Toaster pickups don't go that well with Fender BF/SF amps, but the High-Gains do.

I haven't tried the toaster-top guitars yet, only the 330/6 and 620/12 both with high-gains
    We are all Chameleons...
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    ICBM said:

The sound of Murmur was the 360 into an Ampeg Gemini II (with a Kustom amp on one track). 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    @TonyR - I have the Superchamp XD and all you need to do is output into a bigger speaker. Try it through your VOX cab!

Stay away from the heavily overdriven tones in the presets for best jangliness or if you do like say the British voices, wind back the gain.

The SCX* are great little amps - portable and punchy  and the FX are all actually rather good.

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

@57Deluxe - Don't get me wrong I really like the Superchamp X2, I was just disappointed to find the Rickenbackers didn't sound that good through it.

I think I need to make some time to do some experimentation. I totally agree about the heavily overdriven sounds, they're not my cup of tea at all but my SG seems to like them!

our XD is a nice looking amp btw ;-), I bought the sonic blue X2 which whilst not as classy looking as yours is much better than the black!

We are all Chameleons...
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    Are you sure? I thought Ed O'Brien (the Rick player) used AC30s and Mesa Trem-o-verbs mostly. Jonny Greenwood used a Twin but never a Rick as far as I know. Although I could be wrong, as I'm not a fan really.

Yes, all three guitarists have used Twins quite a bit (Including Ed) and all three use Ricks for various songs.