Need a bit of Taylor info

What's Hot
proggyproggy Frets: 5835

A bit of help please. I'll be looking to buy a new acoustic some time in the new year and have gone off the idea of a Takamine and am leaning towards a Taylor. I've never actually played one before, just started looking at them on-line. I was wondering if there is a big difference between the 200 and 300 series in build quality and playability. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Steve.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Steve,

I've owned several Taylors from high end RR10 (£10,000 new - not that I paid that !!!) to Baby Taylor and Travel Guitars.

There is a consistency amongst all the Taylors, I believe, and my mate has a 2 series which is as good as I've played...

Naturally, better woods will age and sound better over time.

As with all guitars and especially acoustics, the true event is when you play them...

Others will chime in too, and Im happy to answer any questions :)

Waz
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11886
    Biggest advice I can give is: I did this and later sold the 314ce when I discovered you can buy used workshop-made acoustics for the same sort of cash 
    depends what you want though, a DI'd guitar for live work (which is what Taylors are popular for, and why you see them on TV a lot), or an acoustic guitar that sounds amazing on its own: many (including me) believe that other brands do that better than Taylor for the same money

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited October 2017
    200 series (and below) are made in Mexico - not that that really matters as build quality is really high. More significantly, the backs and sides are laminate - or ‘layered’ to use Taylor’s euphemism. They are still good guitars - but you need a 300 series or higher to get US build and solid woods.

Personally, I see the 300 Series as the sweet spot in the range - understated cosmetics and often tonally preferable to the dearer models.

As with most US based brands, new prices are getting really steep. I’d definitely try to buy used. Taylor owners seem a bit like PRS owners - they seem to really look after their guitars - an added bonus is used values seem lower than comparable Martins and Gibsons.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Out of the 2 I'd get a used Taylor 310 with no cutaway and no electronics. 3 series are all solid BTW.
    However, I've owned a 414ce and though a nice enough guitar I wouldn't get another and certainly think other brands make better guitars in this price range.
  • If you're local to me (Worcestershire) you are welcome to try out my 314ce which is for sale.  I too think the 314ce is the sweet spot of the range but nothing at all wrong with the 100 and 200 series, just (for me at least) don't quite have the depth of tone.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835

Thanks lads, some great tips and advice there.

@LooseMoose That's a really kind offer but a bit of a trek for me mate as I'm in Central London.

@Wazmeister I am planning to try a few out soon, quite fancy the 214 or 314 at the moment so I'll probably get back to you for a bit more advice once I've done that. Thanks Was.