Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Versatile dual drive pedal

What's Hot
menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

I need something with a smallish footprint including top loading jacks for my pedaltrain Nano plus.  I need a transparent low gain drive and also a sustaining lead sound.  

I'm currently looking at:-

Strymon Sunset - ticks a lot of the boxes, but quite expensive and I'm not sure if a didital pedal is the way to go, as my main effect unit is a Helix LT.  

Chase Bliss Brothers - The demos sound good.  Out of budget and I wouldn't use the midi capability, looks complicated and I've read there can be volume issues between sounds.  However it sounds good and I could probably integrate it with my Helix.  So perhaps I could use the midi?  The demos do sound good.  Not too fussed about fuzz, but handy it has so many options

Truetone VS-XO - Older pedal but looks simple and versatile.  Cheaper option with lifetime warranty

Xotic AC RC.  Demos sound good, but a bit expensive compared to the truetone for an anolog only box.

So, any others I should be looking at?

Anybody have experience with any of the above?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    I was going to suggest the sunset. Love mine and got it for a reasonable price on eBay. Very versatile. I see it as 3 pedalsxin one when you count the favourite switch :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I have the VS-XO and it's a stunning OD pedal with plenty tweak-ability! a Nobels ODR-1 "clone" on one side and more of a Tubescreamer type drive on the other. Loads of gain and volume on tap on both sides too, easy-switch footswitches and independent jacks for each side meaning you can have these sitting at various points in your chain.

Great, great pedal!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    edited October 2017
    Buy the Sunset, you won't be disappointed. It may be pricey but you get a lot of pedal for that money. I've not needed any other drive pedal since getting mine, it's fantastic. Everything you said you need the Sunset does, clean boost, low gain, high gain or mix and match and drive each side into the other and it's top loading jacks.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • I have the Brothers. It’s wonderful. Totally programmable to the Nth degree, and actually analog. It won’t bother all, but the Strymon is modelling. Good or not, (and I’m sure it is) I still couldn’t fully get on board with digital drive. Don’t like them much on my H9, and don’t see the Strymon being much different. 

Very happy with the Brothers, but then I do use all the midi functions too. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    the sunset rocks!

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2017
    Zvex Double Rock

*Just noticed you are looking for top loading jacks.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Left of field suggestion:

Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe V2 (the V2 bit is important).

You get a boost on the right side, which goes from clean boost to tube screamer

Left side is medium/high gain Marshall.

It's a really good pedal - I've recently sold one as I'm all modelling now, but it's capable of an awful lot more than the EVH idea.

If it's too high gain - there's the same idea in the newer Plexidrive deluxe too.

I sold both mine for around £135 and they come up quite often so worth a look maybe?

• You don't see them around too much but you could check out the twin stomp pedals. I have had the dual overdrive and the dual boost and they both sounded great, not too expensive and built like a tank. Don't see too many second hand unfortunately.

Very expensive but the king tone dualist is great too
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    Check out the Mojohand FX Odessa & Rook Royale 
  • Why do you need a board if you're running a helix? Or is this a travel board? 
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    Why do you need a board if you're running a helix? Or is this a travel board? 
    Just for when I need a smaller footprint really.  I like the Helix, but I had a gig a while ago where the space was so limited I had to lean it up against a wall, due to there being no floor space.  A Nano plus fits on top if my amp, so it’s handy if space is an issue.

Also, much as I like the Helix, I’ve still not got my ideal lead tone, when used into a clean amp.   I really like the Timmy model, so I’m okay for the low gain side, but I’m waiting for future models to get my ideal sustaining mid gain sound.

Okay, will definitely try a Sunset.  I’ll try the VS-XO at the same time as Sounds Great have both

I’ll check out the other suggestions too.

The Brothers I would like to try, but I don’t think anybody stocks them nearby.   Has anybody got one I could try in Manchester?   

I have the Brothers. It’s wonderful. Totally programmable to the Nth degree, and actually analog. It won’t bother all, but the Strymon is modelling. Good or not, (and I’m sure it is) I still couldn’t fully get on board with digital drive. Don’t like them much on my H9, and don’t see the Strymon being much different. 

Do you ever have issues with it only having a combined master volume for both channels?
    That’s the thing that worries me a little, not having independant control over volume for each channel.

• I have the Brothers. It’s wonderful. Totally programmable to the Nth degree, and actually analog. It won’t bother all, but the Strymon is modelling. Good or not, (and I’m sure it is) I still couldn’t fully get on board with digital drive. Don’t like them much on my H9, and don’t see the Strymon being much different. 

Do you ever have issues with it only having a combined master volume for both channels?
    That’s the thing that worries me a little, not having independant control over volume for each channel.

Well you sort of do... the mix dial in effect when combined with the master allows you to balance each side as you want when in parallel (ie say, 70% A, 30% B etc) so the master is then used after that. When you’re stacking, the mix denotes the volume that side A hits side B (or vice versa). 
  • BradBrad Frets: 659
    edited October 2017
    Kingsley Jouster. Sure I saw one in the classified recently... Or if you're in Manchester you're welcome to check out mine. 

EDIT: the Jouster has been sold anyway. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13939
    zepp76 said:
    Buy the Sunset, you won't be disappointed. It may be pricey but you get a lot of pedal for that money. I've not needed any other drive pedal since getting mine, it's fantastic. Everything you said you need the Sunset does, clean boost, low gain, high gain or mix and match and drive each side into the other and it's top loading jacks.

I have the Sunset, it is good. I really like the non-clicky momentary switches as well rather than the hard click switches.

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    zepp76 said:

I have the Sunset, it is good. I really like the non-clicky momentary switches as well rather than the hard click switches.
    I never knew they were momentary as well?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    The King of Tone is a lauded dual overdrive with top mount sockets

zepp76 said:

I never knew they were momentary as well?

not momentary as in only work when pressed, I mean quiet like a tap tempo switch not hard click

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    It doesn't have top loading jacks but in all other respects the Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive fits the bill. If you're interested PM me, I might part with mine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom