Gibson J45 strap pin

What's Hot
Where is the best place fit a strap pin on a J45? I've fitted them to guitars with a Martin style neck heel but not the Gibson type.
Many thanks in advance.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    On the rounded Gibson-type heels I fit them directly on the centreline of the heel, about an inch up from the back of the guitar.

Make absolutely certain you drill properly to the right diameter or there is a possibility of splitting the heel, since you're going directly into end grain.

The 'Martin' position on the treble side slope will work as well, but it's more awkward because it's more nearly at a right angle to the side of the guitar.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • If there is a chance of splitting the heel then I will leave well alone.
    If there is a chance of splitting the heel then I will leave well alone.
    Not if you drill the right hole. The problem is when someone just uses a bradawl or drills a tiny hole that's too small for the screw.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    ICBM said:
    Not if you drill the right hole. The problem is when someone just uses a bradawl or drills a tiny hole that's too small for the screw.

correct -
    wouldn't put a wood screw in (quality) wood without per-drilling the hole with the appropriate size drill bit - read up on it.
  • ICBM said:
    @ICBM did you install one on your Gibson Dove, if so any chance you could a post a pic of where you sited it.
    I used a drill on my Martin with the right size bit, but I did consider a smaller bit whilst weighing it up and now after reading this I'm glad I went with the larger bit.
    I'm currently using a planet waves strap lock so it's not particularly a must do alteration. 
    BigLicks67 said:

@ICBM did you install one on your Gibson Dove, if so any chance you could a post a pic of where you sited it. 
    On the centreline, an inch up from the back :).

I mark the position first with a small cross-head screwdriver (really! It's an excellent marker into wood) and check that it's definitely right before drilling - this also stops the drill bit from slipping.

The right size hole is one just larger than the 'core' of the screw thread but smaller than the outside of the threads. You need to drill in to the exact depth that the screw protrudes through the button - I use a piece of masking tape on the bit to mark it.

• Okay, thanks that's a great help.