Classical guitar supports

What's Hot
Hey, 

Playing more classical again this days, but the discomfort of using a footstool seems to bother me more than it did when I was younger. 

Can anyone recommend a guitar support? Mainly looking between an Ergoplay Tappert (huge) or a Gitano (very basic but compact). 

Does anyone make one that clips on with a bit of tension like a violin shoulder rest?

James
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I had an Ergoplay Troster, it was fine but demands you use the same height chair when playing, it also had an habit of sliding on the leg. The Gitano is easier to install and remove but I've not used one in practice.
    You can also use suction cups with a strap whether or not it will put you in the optimum position is debatable but it's a cheap option.
  • jamesjames Frets: 50
    I've speculatively ordered a Gitano, so I'll see how I get on with that, but I think this might be something where I end up with a couple of options!

I find the idea of suctions cups odd :s
  • james said:
    I've speculatively ordered a Gitano, so I'll see how I get on with that, but I think this might be something where I end up with a couple of options!

You do know the Gitano affixes to the guitar with suction cups?

james said:

You do know the Gitano affixes to the guitar with suction cups?

Yeah, they all seem to. From watching a few youtube clips that seems fine, just struck me as odd when I first looked, relative to a violin shoulder rest. 
  • I can't recall which one I had, been a few years since I played a classical gig but I found that it started to bother me in different ways than the footstool after about the same amount of time.  At longer gigs I would alternate, footstool one set, stick on support next set etc.....

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    Similarly I opted for a Gitano support due to the footstool being uncomfortable. However, just recently I've found the support to be more uncomfortable and find the footstool benefits my approach and posture much better.
    beed84 said:
    Similarly I opted for a Gitano support due to the footstool being uncomfortable. However, just recently I've found the support to be more uncomfortable and find the footstool benefits my approach and posture much better.
    That's interesting. Did your posture or technique change noticeably as your playing progressed? I do have and will keep my footstool, so jumping between is an option. 

Hopefully my Gitano is waiting for me at home today. 
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2406
    At first I thought it was a god send. Being able to have two feet firmly on the floor and retain the right posture was a revelation. But after time I found that my left leg began to ache and was in some discomfort.

Trying the footstool again brought the guitar closer to me, and even though classical posture is quite disciplined, I noticed that there was more room for me to manoeuvre, such as left hand position and being able to manage more difficult passages. Having a support is great; however, you're stuck in one position with no room to really move.

I guess it's one of those things you'll have to experiment with and see what works for you. Changing between the two seems like a good option.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2017

The Gitano arrived last night. My first impression was how small and unobtrusive it is. 

I've adjusted the position a couple of times and seem to have it further round on the lower bout than the instructions suggest. The general feeling is good, and playing felt comfortable straight away. 

It it has actually highlighted that I perhaps lean forward, into the guitar, when playing with a footstool. I felt more upright using the support, but this is perhaps something I can address when using the footstool to increase comfort.