Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Say you don't need a tube amp with crushing gain but rather beautiful cleans instead ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
My days of sphincter shattering gain are long behind me. I just want a tube head that I can use both for playing out and at home that when paired with single coil fender guitars gives beautiful cleans. Taking pedals well is an absolute must as is an FX loop. These days I get my kicks from playing robin Trower, Jeff Healey, Robert Cray, Jeff Buckley etc etc, any amps come to mind ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Mesa Dual Rectifier
     Engl Powerball
     Diesel VH4
     Koch Supernova

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If it's a clean amp, why an effects loop? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    My mxr234 analogue chorus sounds awesome in a loop, not so good in the front.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413
    Marshall 2203x JCM800 reissue, use the Low input - AMAZING clean sounds, and the reissue has a (bypassable) effects loop. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    Marshall 2203x JCM800 reissue, use the Low input - AMAZING clean sounds, and the reissue has a (bypassable) effects loop. 
    Great amps for sure but useless for home playing, I need flexibility
  • Laney Lionheart 20W?
  • I'm sure there was a Fuchs for sale on here recently. Glorious cleans and the flexibility you want. If the dumble sound isn't for you then get a Mesa 5:25 and be done with it.
    My mxr234 analogue chorus sounds awesome in a loop, not so good in the front.

Really? Surely if the preamp is clean it wouldn't make much difference. 

Anyway, loads of good clean stuff around. I'm one of those who can appreciate fender amps but ultimately find them a bit boring. Voxes can have beautiful cleans and you might find yourself enjoying the very direct feel of them (versus the "bouncy" feel of a clean silverface or black face amp). 
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    +1 for the Vox route - set the amp for crunch and then roll back the guitar volume for lovely cleans with rich harmonics or dig in for some dirt
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Victory V40 Combo? Two Rock, Hamstead

• Vaiai said:
    Victory V40 Combo? Two Rock, Hamstead

I bought a V40 from andertons, atrocious amp imo and I sent it back immediately
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72310
    Mesa Blue Angel.

The best clean sound and best reverb of any amp I've ever played, and it has an FX loop. Sounds better with single coils than humbuckers.

If I'm not mistaken there's one in the classifieds...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    I am thinking about building a 50w tweed low power twin, this might be ideal for you, maybe even in a head/combo format.

The 30w Vox thing is lovelly too, I like my Zwreck type amp allot for home playing, but it gets loud and dirty very fast

Depends on how clean you want it
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited October 2017
    I am thinking about building a 50w tweed low power twin, this might be ideal for you, maybe even in a head/combo format.

The 30w Vox thing is lovelly too, I like my Zwreck type amp allot for home playing, but it gets loud and dirty very fast

Definitely not Hank Marvin clean, far too hifi for me, when Jeff Healey plays the clean intro to blue jean blues and starts the solo by turning up the volume control and then finishes it by turning it up more and kicking on the wah......it just doesn't get any better. Snowy Whites bird of paradise clean tone is awesome inspiring too, I just wish he had used single coils instead of a Gibson.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4183
    If you have a friendly Chiropracter I have a friend selling his gorgeous Musicman 130 2x12 combo, recently revolved and serviced, cleans that are yet warm and glassy at the same time
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9529
    I'm like a broken record... Carr Rambler 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24801
    edited October 2017
    sweepy said:
    If you have a friendly Chiropracter I have a friend selling his gorgeous Musicman 130 2x12 combo, recently revolved and serviced, cleans that are yet warm and glassy at the same time
    Or a Musicman RD50 112, like the one in my profile pic. Amazing cleans - and decent dirt - in a ‘grab and go’ 30lb, 50 watt package....
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader

Definitely not Hank Marvin clean, far too hifi for me, when Jeff Healey plays the clean intro to blue jean blues and starts the solo by turning up the volume control and then finishes it by turning it up more and kicking on the wah......it just doesn't get any better. Snowy Whites bird of paradise clean tone is awesome inspiring too, I just wish he had used single coils instead of a Gibson.
    Although the AC30 can do great driven tones, that is not the sound on ether of those tracks.

Both sound like fender type compression to me and not too muddy in the low mids, so Fender again, probably something blackface would do the trick and it would need to be turned up a fair bit.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    edited October 2017
    Has anyone tried a cornford hurricane 20w ?
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    edited October 2017
    Has anyone tried a cornford hurricane 20w ?
    Yes, and it was crap. Crap clean, crap overdriven. There are many better amps out there.

Best crystal cleans I've experienced we're an old 60s BF twin, and a Hiwatt DR203. Neither meet most of your criteria but they were sweet sounding amps even at bedroom volume.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom