PJ Bass - Control Layout - now accidentally turned into a build thread!

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Which Dimarzios?

The PJ set I’d be interested in is the EMG Geezer Butler set
    DP126's. 

Looked at the GB set.. seems to be an option as well. Apart from that stupid EMG wiring.. :D 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    See what Oil City can do for you...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

You know, I've been listening to the first batch of mixes from our new album, and there's a mix of the 52P with single coil quarter pounder in it, and the 64P.. and I actually can't quite decide which one I prefer.

On it's own the QP in the 52P is quite brash and punchy, and the 64P on its own is warm, woody and quite subtle. But, in the mix (and for the type of music we do) they both have their place, and work well in context for certain songs. 

Which is making me think, maybe I need a more subtle P, and a punchier J, or visa versa.. ?
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    As I was flicking through "Bass" magazine (all the bassists read it), I saw this ..

Much better than a horrible pickguard all over the face of the body?  Discuss ...

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Which Dimarzios?

DP126's. 

Looked at the GB set.. seems to be an option as well. Apart from that stupid EMG wiring.. :D 
    The model P is pretty different to a vintage P pickup. It’s very loud and relatively aggressive. I haven’t tried the model J.

I’m a hard rock/metal kind of guy and I didn’t get on with it, preferred a standard P pickup if I’m honest. It did sound pretty good but just I prefer the more vintage P sound. 
    ICBM said:
    See what Oil City can do for you...
    I was worried that a custom wound set might get a bit spendy....!
    TTony said:
    As I was flicking through "Bass" magazine (all the bassists read it), I saw this ..

Much better than a horrible pickguard all over the face of the body?  Discuss ...
    What I really hate about that is the contrived way the red part of the burst doesn't go round the lower horn. I know very well that Fender didn't bother on the originals because it was going to be covered by the pickguard, but if there's no guard by design then just paint the damn thing properly!!!

So it just needs a nice tortoiseshell guard (and the right knobs) to sort it out, really :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

TTony said:

Is it a Precazz or a Jazzision?
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323

Your J Bass pickup rout looks awfully close to the edge of the pickguard. i.e. As far "off" towards the neck as a CBS-era pickup is "off" towards the bridge. 

If you cut a second rout in the traditional position, the combined cavities might accommodate a Dual J pickup or a Stingray type.
    Be seeing you.

Your J Bass pickup rout looks awfully close to the edge of the pickguard. i.e. As far "off" towards the neck as a CBS-era pickup is "off" towards the bridge. 

If you cut a second rout in the traditional position, the combined cavities might accommodate a Dual J pickup or a Stingray type.
    As a quick and dirty job, and given the fact I'm applying finish, I'm not going to be doing any routing at this stage. 

The position is the "trad" position for what would have been 3.75" spacing - as opposed to the standard (now) 4". As it's away from the bridge a bit more, it should give the J pickup a bit more volume for balance. 

I'm not really a "J" purist - always been firmly in the P camp, so not looking for trad J tones - I suspect that 80% of the time the blend control will be on 100% P, with the J being used from time to time to add a bit more tonal variation. Not sure there will be too many occasions when I'll use just J either - but you never know..
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    80% of the time the blend control will be on 100% P, with the J being used from time to time to add a bit more tonal variation. Not sure there will be too many occasions when I'll use just J.
    That is pretty much how I use the EMG-GZR pair in my Squier VM. Mixing in a bit of the Jazz Bass pickup notches out some frequencies to create a slightly hollow "honk" to the sound. This is not as pronounced as it would be on a regular Jazz Bass.
    Be seeing you.
    I thought having a Jazz pickup on it was just to make it look like you know what you're doing?

:)

ICBM said:
    I thought having a Jazz pickup on it was just to make it look like you know what you're doing?

Anyone that hears me play will see through that blatant lie straight away......
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:

I thought it was just an expensive thumb rest
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

I thought it was just an expensive thumb rest
    Sssssh.. you'll give away why I want a PJ..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Got enough satin sheen to it, so I've decided to leave it as is rather than more tru oil - I don't want gloss.

Plus, I have the impatience of a saint.. 

So, neck on and strap buttons on:

• Finish looks good, I once did mine with Danish Oil and got a very similar effect, are you going to use a wax or leaving it just Tru Oil?
    Finish looks good, I once did mine with Danish Oil and got a very similar effect, are you going to use a wax or leaving it just Tru Oil?
    I'll give it a week to harden off then use a bit of wax - not too much as I like the sheen as it is, but some for protection tho.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    Ready for gigging tonight ...

That seems to have come together really quickly. 

Hopefully there'll be another build thread started towards the end of next week.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    TTony said:
    Ready for gigging tonight ...

That seems to have come together really quickly. 

Hopefully there'll be another build thread started towards the end of next week.
    Well, the pots and bridge are on the way, but I still haven't ordered a pickup set yet. Last thing to do. 

After that, yes, it will be ready. I'm leaning towards the dimarzios at the moment. I'll let you know what they are like either way ready for your pickup choice ;)