Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Great ebay workaround

What's Hot
Spotted this innovative way round ebay's rules that prevent you making your direct contact details public. The thumbnail to the far right!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Prs-Brent-Mason/322848789489?hash=item4b2b4993f1:g:5fwAAOSwbtNZ8f45
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    I expect that some officious **** will detect that and pull the listing.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Good call. I had wondered about doing that - whether they could check the content in photos.
  • It'll just take one report. 

I find it dead odd that they think people will buy guitars, cars and other high end items without seeing them in person. Finding a way around that is somehow cheating. Dicks. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7024
    tFB Trader
    He should have used a faster shutter speed to catch that speeding headstock

15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    I saw an ad the other day that had the fella’s phone next to the item in the last picture. The phone was open in its Contacts section. It was open in the entry titled “Me” with his number next to it! Good on him, I thought!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Text recognition 'bots scrutinise the typed Description content of listings. Any string of eleven digits can be flagged as a possible mobile telephone number to be checked later by a human operative. 

eBay probably has staff, randomly inspecting listings, on the off chance of detecting naughty workarounds. 

Other than that, detection is entirely a matter of members reporting each other. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    So under the ebay rules now, if he takes down this item early and ebay find the pic are they within their rights to charge him selling fees? Could end up being stung - maybe not so clever.
  • paddybpaddyb Frets: 31
    They are clear about their fee's so why bother listing it there if you don't want to pay them. I'm not defending their fee's but these days I choose to sell on Forums/Reverb/Gumtree because of them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    paddyb said:
    They are clear about their fee's so why bother listing it there if you don't want to pay them. I'm not defending their fee's but these days I choose to sell on Forums/Reverb/Gumtree because of them.

It isn't just about avoiding fees though anymore, the fact is a lot of people will want to see and play a used guitar before buying it, same for cars and other items. EBay now forbids that.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    ebay enforcement seems an awfully good way to buy a pig in a poke
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    Simply put, Ebay are scumbags who have managed to scare half the people who choose to list with them. They have also shot themselves in the foot by putting decent people off. Thank God for forums and Reverb. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Actuslly now they are looking for messages from buyers asking for emails that now gets flagged, I have been banned for 7 days because a buyer asked and I gave it to him in code :D
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4669
    i have put my number in the listing and never had an issue, 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2084
    I had an email from them saying that contact details could only be provided after a sale 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited October 2017
    I might call him and ask him whether dogs see in colour or black & white. Well he did say "any questions".

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 966
    I had my Elliott Tonemaster on there for a short while and was then made aware of their new rules regarding how they can charge a selling fee if they think you are trying to deal outside of Ebay... I hadn't put any contact details or had any correspondence with anybody on it for the week or so it was on there but I didn't want to take the chance and would now never sell anything on there worth any sort of money. Smaller low value items are fine but I'm not paying selling fees for giving someone my contact details ..! I've never had any success selling guitars on ebay anyway.. lol
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    I'm sure if they don't already, they will soon have software that analyses pictures for text and then logs it.

Three things are certain in life; death, taxes and eBay pissing on your chips.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    underdog said:
    paddyb said:

It isn't just about avoiding fees though anymore, the fact is a lot of people will want to see and play a used guitar before buying it, same for cars and other items. EBay now forbids that.
    There's nothing stopping sellers adding some text to a listing along the lines of 'Feel free to buy it, come and have a look and if you don't like it we can cancel the auction'  A bit of a long way around, but you still get to try before you buy and will hopefully discourage tyre kickers
  • RebarRebar Frets: 134
    I'm impressed that someone hasn't chimed in by now to defend Ebay for offering such a 'wonderful' service
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Rebar said:
    I'm impressed that someone hasn't chimed in by now to defend Ebay for offering such a 'wonderful' service

Don't worry the dad brigade will be along shortly