Could Someone Explain Big Muffs to Me?

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    sweepy said:
    There was also the Big Muff Pi Deluxe in the 70’s , I kid you not. It was a mains powered muff with a built in compressor and a stereo split, crazy pedal and I wish I still had it 
    I think that's the muff on the first DinoJr record 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Oof. I didn’t expect so many replies to be honest. Loads of great info.

I think the Rat might be more what I’m after as it’ll cover more bases. I’ll see if I can go and try a couple. Chances are I won’t use either much though so might well end up doing nothing...!
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    edited October 2017
    horse said:
    I have a Fredric FX ICBM fuzz listed for £60 collected from Notts if that might be of interest. Only ever used at home. As I understand it the pumpkins Siamese Dream sound is the Integrated Circuit Big Muff (ICBM)
    This is my joint favourite muff pedal.  (Though I did like the Wicker before it died but not as much as this  - what is it about me and EHX?)
    My other favourite is the Wampler Velvet Fuzz. 
    I like big Smashing Pumpkins/ Silversun Pickups fuzzes.
  • Grunfeld said:
    horse said:
    I have a Fredric FX ICBM fuzz listed for £60 collected from Notts if that might be of interest. Only ever used at home. As I understand it the pumpkins Siamese Dream sound is the Integrated Circuit Big Muff (ICBM)
    This is my joint favourite muff pedal.  (Though I did like the Wicker before it died but not as much as this  - what is it about me and EHX?)
    My other favourite is the Wampler Velvet Fuzz. 
    I like big Smashing Pumpkins/ Silversun Pickups fuzzes.

Juansolo built me a killer muff pedal - it's a jumbo tonebender (which is mostly a muff - but crunchier and a bit raunchier, great for loose rock rhythm) and an ultrastoner (pure muff!). Then a super hard on style boost at the end. 

The ultrastoner is so much fun - tons of gain available, diode, germanium and something else (silicon maybe?) options - I leave it on germanium at home and diode when jamming. Scooped as hell if you want it to be, but goes close to flat on the mids knob.

It nails silversun pickups tones. Pure "well thought out twinkles" - just set the mids where it needs to be and tone to taste. 
  • MtBMtB Frets: 921
    Fender Blender
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    I've had a number of muffs over the years and the one that works best for me is the current big muff deluxe.
    Kitrae has some settings on his page which get you very close to a bunch of muff variants.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    TTBZ said:
    Oh yeah, it's worth trying a tubescreamer before or after the big muff. Tightens it up and adds some mids back in. 
    If you run it into the muff the muff will clip the signal to hell and still scoop it. So all you'll be doing is pulling the bass down (which is what gives you the tightness). After it'll work better but again it's mainly the bass cut that'll be giving you that perception of tightening and adding mid focus. A thing to bear in mind is that pedals tend not to boost frequencies, they cut them, so every time you're doing this you're taking away other things to get that perceived mid boost... It's better not to cut the mids in the first place if what you're wanting is more mids. Likewise if you want it tighter, cut more bass in the circuit. All easily doable with the muff circuit (though the latter would have to be done in the build, it's still easy to filter more bass away).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    capo4th said:
    Some big muffs can be quite rat like in appearance 
    Finally - I'm genuinely stunned it took that long :)

I was in Merchant City Music today getting some strap locks... and this happened...

Not sure if I would've preferred a Muff, but this thing is ace!
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    edited October 2017
    when are you buying a fuzz?  i thought the premise of your thread was that you wanted to revisit fuzz?
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

I'm not sure. That's next by the looks of it. :)

edited October 2017
    I love it when ppl ask for advice about a particular type of effect and then go out and buy something else.  'makes everyone's contributions so worth while.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry. It wasn’t my intention to waste people’s time at all. I have been reading about the Fuzz stuff which really helped, but concluded from that that it wasn’t what I was looking for. So it did help me, the last thing I want is for people to go to lots of effort and then deliberately ignore their help.

Andy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited October 2017
    I'm used to nobody listening to me, I actually find it quite amusing just how often it happens. :)
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    Ro_S said:
    I love it when ppl ask for advice about a particular type of effect and then go out and buy something else.  'makes everyone's contributions so worth while.
    You are aware that people aren't required to take your advice.

If something else takes his fancy I fail to see what's wrong with that especially as he's mentioned about three times already that he quite liked the sound of a Rat.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Steady on big boy 
  • Hopefully you'll get on well with the Rat, and then you can re-visit this post when you eventually buy a fuzz. Enjoy!
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    andyp said:
    Sorry. It wasn’t my intention to waste people’s time at all. I have been reading about the Fuzz stuff which really helped, but concluded from that that it wasn’t what I was looking for. So it did help me, the last thing I want is for people to go to lots of effort and then deliberately ignore their help.

Andy

I think it makes perfect sense for people to say "I'm interested in thing ABC, will it help to get XYZ sound?" and responders say "yes, but..." or "no, try this instead". It's still useful and informative, especially in dispelling gear myths.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    bbill335 said:

I think it makes perfect sense for people to say "I'm interested in thing ABC, will it help to get XYZ sound?" and responders say "yes, but..." or "no, try this instead". It's still useful and informative, especially in dispelling gear myths.
    yup.   
    although, I took it as taken that OP knew what fuzz sounded like.  I mean, it wasn't a specific enquiry. 

Sorry for the fuss folks. :(

I found the replies helpful and have ended up with something I’m chuffed with and I think I’ll use, for £65 which seemed a good deal.