My custom headless

What's Hot
Had a test last night at the luthier's studio - woah, what a guitar! All I ever dreamed of in an instrument made real and at a very reasonable price.

Here's a picture (phone's camera and flash so not brilliant):
Maple body sandwiched by walnut caps, ebony fingerboard with 24 jumbo frets + zero fret (slightly bigger). Bridge and headpiece are from ABM, expensive but probably best headless pieces in the market. It's a neckthrough with a 25.5" scale. On the neck there's a Fender CS tele single coil, bridge a Benedetto A6 humbucker which is surprisingly high output given it's a jazz pickup. 2 volume knobs, including a push/pull for the humbucker, 1 tone, and a 3-way switch.
Dots look wonky on the picture due to flash reflection but they're not, believe me. It's nearly there, just needs a bit of neck shaving as it's too thick and we're ready to go!

Built by Stu ;https://www.facebook.com/ScatterBrainConcepts who also did Drew's 7 string. He's got one of his creations for sale at his Etsy shop - http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ScatterBrainConcepts?ref=si_shop - which at £450 is a bargain or you can order a custom at a sub £1k price.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Pay Lix no mind...he gets upset over the use of an Oxford comma ... and his cat doesn't like having it's temperature taken.... well it protests a lot, but it's not trying to get away is it? Hmmm...

I like the guitar.. it looks like a blend of retro, futuristic, and classic.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3445
    A pic with better light but less knobs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Pretty much ready, will get it Friday.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    I've played a Scatterbrain, it was on Denmark Street for a while. It was really nice.

That looks great too.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Bucket said:
    I've played a Scatterbrain, it was on Denmark Street for a while. It was really nice.

That looks great too.
    It's for sale at his etsy shop at a builder's price these days - http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/173993765/sb31-27-fret-concept-guitar?ref=shop_home_active_2
  • Ooo like that.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    I like it too.

I have a Forshage with the same headpiece.
    A little tip for you- don't clip the wires like you have- you will end up sticking someone with them.
    Just clamp the string down and then wiggle the string until it snaps off.
    It is much safer and neater.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I've long fancied a headless guitar. I used to have a Jack bass and it was just the best balanced, easiest bass I had owned/ played. Also Johnny Winter and his Erlewine Lazer is tres cool and this build is a distant cousin of that ( headless, H/S pups, similar body outline, although this is much fatter than the Laser). Apparently there was a Hondo Lazer at one point.

Hmm, maybe as it gets toward my birthday I shall start looking at eBay for Steinbergers and the like...[googles] its the Synapse that is tremless...tum te tum...
    8-|
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    Good idea and build, I've always liked those strandberg type ergonomic guitars, but they are way too expensive.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    GuyBoden said:
    Good idea and build, I've always liked those strandberg type ergonomic guitars, but they are way too expensive.
    Strandberg calls them ergonomic guitars but I struggle to see how that shape is that ergonomic.
    The neck will still point down at roughly the same angle as a strat.

Compare that to my Forshage:

You can see the Forshage has a contour for leg to rest on when played seated.
    This puts the neck angle at such a position so that you don't have excessive bend in the wrist, which reduces strain.
    I don't see how the Strandberg would allow for this.
  • That Forshage should be absolutely hideous, but (and I'm sure I've said it before) it's a seriously wonderful looking instrument.  It doesn't lok like a design for the sake of it, but a well thought out ergonomic one that looks good - like a strat.  
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 744
    edited October 2020
    octatonic said:
    GuyBoden said:

Strandberg calls them ergonomic guitars but I struggle to see how that shape is that ergonomic.
    The neck will still point down at roughly the same angle as a strat.

Compare that to my Forshage:

You can see the Forshage has a contour for leg to rest on when played seated.
    This puts the neck angle at such a position so that you don't have excessive bend in the wrist, which reduces strain.
    I don't see how the Strandberg would allow for this.
    I think there are two positions to play a Strandberg seating, one is similar to a Strat position as you have mentioned, the other a more classical type position. IMHO, truly ergonomically guitars need to be made to measure, because we all have differing body sizes, arm lengths etc.

Here's my seating position, I never standup:

"Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    Thanks for the tip, octatonic. It might not look like it, but the bottom contour is modelled after a Klein's. It's a bit of a mish-mash of various headless/ergo concepts, from Canton to Forshage, including the Strandberg and the Klein. On the knee, it doesn't sit as "classical" as a Klein, though, but deffo not as low as a Strat/Tele.
    My criticism wasn't levelled at you, but rather at the Strandberg design.
    Yours does seem to be broadly in line with the Klein approach.

I'd be interested to play your guitar at some stage- are you coming to Gearfest?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16658
    There is more to ergonomics than just seated playing position. I remember a lot of his early prototypes and experiments.  Ola Strandberg may not be doing anything massively unique or totally ergonomic... but he does make damn fine modern guitars with great attention to detail.  He is probably the acceptable face of the ergonomic guitar, rather than the cutting edge, but that seems to be working for him quite well

@octatonic, I'll bring it if I know where and when it is!
    Gearfest thread- nothing sorted yet I don't think.