Values and Tubes

Hi Guys,

Apologies if this topic has been covered before - any links would be useful.

I was wondering if many people purchase values/tubes for their amps, how often they replace them and where you go to get them - seen loads on ebay etc but, wonder what the quality is like etc?

I have inherited an old one and have been told to buy a new valve/tube - not sure how to go about this

Thanks guys

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72239
    What amp is it, and which valve is it that needs to be replaced?

Do you know the rest of the amp is *definitely* working OK? If it hasn't been used for a long time (like 10+ years, or less if in not perfectly dry conditions, eg a garage) I would be very careful about just turning it on - doing that can sometimes cause expensive damage which can be avoided with a more controlled power-up. I know you probably don't want to spend money on getting a tech to look at it if you don't think there's anything wrong, but trust me on this.

If all is definitely OK and it is just the valve you need, try http://www.karltone.co.uk - unless it's a very obscure type he will have what you need.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited October 2017
    As IC says you need to give us more info about the amp in question, changing one valve is a bit of a strange suggestion, unless the person concerned knows the specific problem with the amp. Let us know the details and what operational condition the amp is in and I am certain good advice will be forthcoming