Tears For Fears on red button

What's Hot
DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
Really enjoying their Radio 2 gig on red button just now, they wrote some damn fine tunes and were always one of my favourite 80s bands.
They've got a Spotify live session on YouTube too which is also worth a look.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    On the iPlayer as well, just watched the beginning so far which is largely them taking three minutes to walk on stage. Some more concerts coming up in this series too including Deep Purple. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Chic next week apparently.

That audience loved Tears for Fears,  not a band I really know all that well but, apart from the cover ( bleugh), seemed a really strong set to me. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I thought their guitarist (the guy off to the right with a Tele) had a awesome tone. Any idea what amp he was using?

He had about a million different sounds so I was wondering if it was a Fractal or something.

Looked like an AC30 behind him but he had a large multi fx on the floor - I don’t know the looks that well to spot from a glimpse what it was. Maybe you can tell from my blurry screen grab

https://i.imgur.com/8jHRzdg.jpg
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited November 2017
    Watched last night, didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised, didn't know they were such excellent musicians and a proper band. The guitar playing and tones were great, from the Strat and Tele on the side. I had forgotten about Sowing the Seeds of Love.... top Beatlesy tune.
  • Saw them at Norwich University (UEA) in 1983 entry fee was £3. Got to meet them at the end of the sound check and remember thinking how short they were. Don't remember much about the gig at all.

• Didn't the album containing Sowing the Seeds take six years to record or something? 
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 619
    Really enjoyed that, always thought they were excellent, Roland still has a cracking voice.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5372
    Tone71 said:
    Really enjoyed that, always thought they were excellent, Roland still has a cracking voice.
    His face is cracking somewhat too these days!

Watched last night, didn't know what to expect but was pleasantly surprised, didn't know they were such excellent musicians and a proper band. The guitar playing and tones were great, from the Strat and Tele on the side. I had forgotten about Sowing the Seeds of Love.... top Beatlesy tune.
    Just what I thought. I remember them having guitars back in the day but as they were a 'pop' band I hadn't registered that they were proper musicians and not just singers with props.

FWIW I think the YouTube Spotify session is better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited November 2017
    I thought their guitarist (the guy off to the right with a Tele) had a awesome tone. Any idea what amp he was using?

He had about a million different sounds so I was wondering if it was a Fractal or something.
    On the Spotify session it looks like Roland and the other guitarist are using Line 6 Flextone III's and they are miked in stereo. On the Radio 2 session they have Vox AC30s on the backline unmic'd but Roland has a Kemper controller at his feet so I'm guessing the AC30s are just for show and they are using Kempers with IEMs.

Roland is using Strats with what look like noiseless pickups and the other guitarist is using an AV52 Tele by the looks of it.

• The current trend for bands to get quieter and use modelling direct to desk wit IEMs is all well and dandy but they just sound weak. U2 are the same. I miss bands that have amps blasting out like The Jam.