"Modern" relic

What's Hot
Is it just me or does this look awesome?

I'm more used to seeing 50s / 60s style relic - not 90s style - but there's something ace about this.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7137
    Looks horrible to my eyes.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    Given you can buy a 'real' one of these for next to nothing, I'm afraid I really don't get this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Given you can buy a 'real' one of these for next to nothing, I'm afraid I really don't get this.
    Exactly.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72250
    stonevibe said:
    Exactly.
    And it will look like a genuinely worn guitar instead of having been savaged by a giant beaver.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    But that guitar, if it was naturally relic'd and just had a horribly aggressive owner, would look so sweet. That colour is perfect for a bit of roughing up :P
  • ICBM said:
    stonevibe said:
    Exactly.
    And it will look like a genuinely worn guitar instead of having been savaged by a giant beaver.
    Originally lol'd, then saw the pic and realised you really meant it.  
    ICBM said:
    stonevibe said:
    Exactly.
    Giant beavers are the way the Custom Shop gets that authentic 'belt sander' finish. They cost a lot to feed and have a dietary requirement of ash and alder three times or more a day.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well I'm pleased to have been proven correct.

In the sense that it's just me! ;)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16657
    edited March 2014
    they have even included the authentic strat plus razor blades down each side of the fretboard, although the dots should have turned grey by now due to lacquer seperation
    I wonder if it has holes in the back where the Trem-Setter has been removed?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    I like it. Aside from the pickups I think it looks great.
    How very rock and roll
  • ChéChé Frets: 304
    It looks like someone has been gnawing at the base of it. Relic'd guitars are superficial in my eyes. With age comes experience, making your guitar look old doesn't hide the fact you haven't played it for that long. If you can naturally relic your guitar just through playing it then it'll make you a far better musician in the long run. My old Jag got beat to shit (AVRI nitro finish) and when I was selling it people noted how they liked the subtle relicing on it ... Wtf? I agree buying a guitar with a history is interesting (it also proves the guitar has lived, breathed and can survive the road) but damaging your guitar just to make if look "cool" is beyond me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    just see it as another finish option, kind of like those distressed denim jeans, some like some don't. Neither look very realistic.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28285
    I generally like relics, but I have to admit that one doesn't really move me. I don't think it's particularly overdone, but I see that we are still getting the same old tired arguments out.
    axisus said:
    I generally like relics, but I have to admit that one doesn't really move me. I don't think it's particularly overdone, but I see that we are still getting the same old tired arguments out.
    What I don't understand is that even if you like the look, why does someone go to the trouble of deliberately making the damage look so unrealistic? It takes quite a lot of effort to do it - quite possibly more to do it wrong than to do it right. (In fact mostly so, since one of the usual mistakes is to do too much, to the point the wear pattern becomes too even.)

I don't mind the concept of that 'modern relic' at all, and from a distance it doesn't look bad, but when you see the close-up of the body it really does look like it's been chewed by an oversized rodent.

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4130
    edited March 2014
    I love it! And in one of my favourite finishes no less! :)

*edit* It actually reminds me a lot of a couple of an early 90s strat that I really should have bought in Toronto about 6 years ago. The wear on the body wasn't quite that far gone, but the rest looks about the same.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

I went into my local Ferrari dealer today and asked if I could have a relic'd F12berlinetta. I parted with my £239,352 and as if by magic a nice new F12berlinetta was brought around to the front of the dealer where upon 20 kind folk attacked it with hammers, sandpaper, a grinder and then let lose a pack of hunting hounds to cock their legs up the side.

I was most pleased. Tomorrow I'm going to wash and polish it :)

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5004
    I don't think it's a particularly bad relic job tbh, but I can't understand why they would relic a Strat Plus. Not exactly one of the most desirable guitars in Fender's back catalogue... :-S
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • I've got a 1990 Strat Plus and the finish is such that you would have to drop it off Blackpool Tower to damage it that much.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • As it's not 'vintage', surely a 'real' strat plus that's been damaged a would be significantly cheaper?

Even factoring in a full set up and any odd bits that need replacing, like a dodgy saddle, or vibrato bits and bobs.

Or even buying a regular one and just playing it with very little care would get the job done a fair bit cheaper, there are a few around for a fair bit less than a grand.