Increasing caps for more bass - what size?

Hi. I'm planning on building a simple one knob bass overdrive, based on the following schematic from fuzzdog:

https://imgur.com/a/6XtHC

To make it more bass friendly I've read that I can increase the input and output capacitor sizes.

Can anyone recommend a good size to begin with to make this circuit bass-friendly? (ie for bass guitar through a bass amp, not just a bassy guitar pedal, if that makes sense).

Thanks. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10404
    The effect of the output cap size depends on the impedance of the load your going into, the formula to decide the -3dB slope is 1 over 2PiFC  .... You can find RC calculators to make the maths easier 
    As a default I would use 100n for the input and 220n for the output because I always have those values and the RC value will be plenty low enough 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Doubling the cap values will produce the same response an octave lower (half the frequency) than it has now, which gives the same values as what Danny suggested, so I would start there.

But there's probably no harm in trying the largest ones you have to hand and which will fit on the board, if you like...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• liamonliamon Frets: 103
    Thanks both, will give it a crack.