Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Boss Katana 100 gig report

What's Hot
p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
Ok, I bought the 100 combo a week or so ago and have been waiting to do a gig with it before giving my thoughts on it. This will contain plenty of detail and may ramble a bit.

I programmed four patches at home, fully expecting to have to tweak them a bit at gig volume but hopefully less than with my valve amps, especially given the selectable output levels.

First impressions during soundcheck, BEAMY! Oh wow is it directional, ranging from pure mud when stood in front of it (it was on a chair), to absolutely cutting your head off when stood on the floor in front of the two-foot high stage we were playing on.

We were miked up through a reasonable PA so I could reach a bit of a compromise, but it was a mission. Forget the built-in tilt-back stand by the way, if the amp’s on the floor it offers two settings, it either fires at your toenails or your ankles.

The EQ tweaks I had to perform to get a similar sound on stage to what I was getting at home were radical, way more than with any other amp I’ve owned. I spent days last week coming back to it to give my patches minor adjustments, playing deep in the mix to loud backing tracks, using years of experience of setting up amps at low volumes and reliably predicting the results etc, then had to spin all the knobs like a crazy toddler with a Fisher-Price activity centre during soundcheck.
Ho-hum, at least I saved my new patches, and will every gig I think.

Next impression, it ain’t loud. I dialled it in at home using the 1/2 watt setting with the master at about 2 o’clock, expecting to need the 50w setting on about the same live. Wrong! Straight to 100w, with the master dimed, and it was just about loud enough on a biggish stage, and this with a dynamic, considerate band and a drummer using a Flats kit.

Now to be fair, I’m probably not a typical user. My core tone for this band is a mid-gain sound turned up pretty loud and the guitar volume rarely on ten. I always use some kind of master volume pedal in the loop {or expression pedal in this case} so I can have loud clean or quiet dirty if necessary, to cover a range of pop/rock styles with one channel.

I add a boost pedal to this which gets used a couple of times a gig. Consequently I need headroom and lots of it, plus I’d set my core patch to match a maxed-out acoustic-simulated patch in volume which means my channel volume was only around 2 o’clock, so I have a little room for manoeuvre for the next gig if I ditch the acoustic thing.

So not exactly plain sailing to start with, but by the third or fourth song it was starting to come together and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It sounded authentic, is small and light, and most important of all to me it reacted to my guitar controls and player input exactly as a good amp should.

I’ve just pulled the speaker out today to do something I do to all my gigging amps, I put a double layer gaffa tape cross between the speaker and the baffle. It makes your amp sound almost the same on or off axis, and stops you deafening three people at every gig with treble.

I have loads more thoughts to add regarding the software, the effects, the presence control, the EQ etc but I’ll leave it for now, I’d like to hear other peoples’ live experience with them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• p90fool said:

I’ve just pulled the speaker out today to do something I do to all my gigging amps, I put a double layer gaffa tape cross between the speaker and the baffle. It makes your amp sound almost the same on or off axis, and stops you deafening three people at every gig with treble.

I'd be interested in a picture of this  if you have it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3134
    p90fool said:

I'd be interested in a picture of this  if you have it.
    +2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    If you had master maxed at 100W with the channel volume at 2 o'clock and you didn't think it was loud, then... Wow.  That has to be a defective amp.  Mine would liquify my innards at that kind of level. 

Normally I'm on 50W, master at about 3 o'clock and channel volume down at 8-9 o'clock.  Even at those settings, my keyboard player was complaining about the volume, and he's usually off-axis at about 90°
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    That's what I mean about possibly not being a typical user, I have the brown channel gain at 10 o'clock, guitar volume on about halfway. 

With the gain up higher and the guitar volume on 10 yes it really is bloody loud, but it wouldn't be appropriate for "I Will Survive". 

I need versatility and headroom, not straight ahead rock all the time and the Katana is subjectively about as loud as a 20-30w valve amp, ie, borderline in terms of clean headroom on stage. 

There has been a lot of debate online about whether it really can be 100w given that it only draws 77w from the wall and I've read a lot of plausible explanations about how a reputable company like Boss can make the science work, but sadly it really is just plain old bullshit. 

Yes it CAN be loud, but it's car stereo loud, not guitar amp loud.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Wouldn't you be better off using the clean channel instead of the brown channel for cleaner stuff? Not sure I'm following your point about volume.
    I have a clean channel patch with volume and gain maxed, it's nowhere near the volume of the gainier channels with the guitar volume rolled back. The clean channel is useless for lead in a full band setting, though it's fine for rhythm. 

I'm going to have to do a video to demonstrate. 

I'm not really criticising he amp, I really like it and it is pretty loud, but don't anyone be under the illusion that it's Quad of 6L6s loud. 
  • i agree about the built in footstand, its pretty useless. theres a much better designed one on the laney cub. ive found it plenty loud on 50, playing unmicced in large pubs and social clubs. it can be beamy but i dont think its anymore than other amps. i  think different venues and positions may require a little bit of tweaking but i find once ive set it up i dont touch it for the rest of the gig.
    Here ya go, this is an old cab with a removable grill, but on most cabs I put the tape between the speaker and the baffle on the inside. 

Stick your amp on the floor and play standing up, then lean it back so it points directly at your head and note the difference in treble especially.

Then put the X tape on and try the same thing again. On and off axis won't be exactly the same, but they'll be much closer than before. 

Avoid the screw holes by doing either a cross or an X, but remember to mic up the gaps not the tape! 

http://i65.tinypic.com/2cniofc.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • id like to experiment with that, but dont wanna open my pristine amp :)
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I use the clean channel only, with drive coming from pedals.  It has waaaay more clean headroom than I ever need, even on 50w.  I put a boost pedal in the loop and that's all I need for solos.  I've played some big stages like this, and my leads punch out like when I was using a Twin Reverb.  

Not doubting your experience, just kinda puzzled by it!
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • p90fool said:
    That's what I mean about possibly not being a typical user, I have the brown channel gain at 10 o'clock, guitar volume on about halfway. 

With the gain up higher and the guitar volume on 10 yes it really is bloody loud, but it wouldn't be appropriate for "I Will Survive". 

I need versatility and headroom, not straight ahead rock all the time and the Katana is subjectively about as loud as a 20-30w valve amp, ie, borderline in terms of clean headroom on stage. 

There has been a lot of debate online about whether it really can be 100w given that it only draws 77w from the wall and I've read a lot of plausible explanations about how a reputable company like Boss can make the science work, but sadly it really is just plain old bullshit. 

Yes it CAN be loud, but it's car stereo loud, not guitar amp loud.  

It may be you'd get better milage through using more channels? 

Although if you have a "method" it would take some rehearsals to get used to channel switching between songs and the dynamics that go with it. 

To be fair... If you're able to have a decent gig running from the guitar's volume control, then holy shit but this must be a pretty good amp. Your demands are relatively hard to meet from even a good valve amp - from a sub 500 quid amp it's remarkable. 

I'd say this is a very, very positive review - despite the initial struggles. Well don't on not being afraid to turn those tone knobs! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    p90fool said:

It's a little bit apples and oranges.

Most valve amps are rated at where they start to break up so an AC30 is kicking out vastly more than 30 watts the way that Brian May uses them.

A solid state amp will sound like total shit and possibly blow up if it gets pushed past it's rated maximum so the 100 watts is going to be something that the amp is going to be actively preventing you from getting to even totally cranked.

Even within valve amps it's all total bollocks as there have been tests that suggested an AC30 can put out about as much sound pressure as a JCM800 even though one of them is rated at more than 3 times the other.

With all that said with the exception of Blackstar most SS amps are extremely generous in their output ratings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3134
    monquixote said:.

Even within valve amps it's all total bollocks as there have been tests that suggested an AC30 can put out about as much sound pressure as a JCM800 even though one of them is rated at more than 3 times the other.
    I’m sure someone can chime in to clarify but I’m sure I’ve read (or been told, can’t recall which) that a 100 watts valve amp is only twice as loud as a 1watt valve amp and that the volume or perceived volume had more to do with transformer size and speaker type. I’m not a tech so could be totally off on this but it would certainly support what your suggesting here.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    monquixote said:.

I’m sure someone can chime in to clarify but I’m sure I’ve read (or been told, can’t recall which) that a 100 watts valve amp is only twice as loud as a 1watt valve amp and that the volume or perceived volume had more to do with transformer size and speaker type. I’m not a tech so could be totally off on this but it would certainly support what your suggesting here.

It's not quite that big a ratio, but yes a 100 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 50 watt one.

The main thing is that amp manufacturers calculate wattages in a wide range of completely different and non comparable ways and there is a lot more that wattage that goes into how loud an amp is.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    Good honest review, and it seems that Katana punches well above its weight. Can’t help thinking though that what you need for your style of playing (I’ve heard the clips you’ve posted before and have always been impressed with your use of dynamics) is a nice valve amp :)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    My guess is that, given its maximum power draw from the mains of 77 watts,  the Katana is probably something like 100 watts peak. Which makes 50 watts(ish) RMS if I'm not mistaken. So basically the same as my Marshall CODE 50 which is 50 watts RMS and a switched-mode power supply and draws 75 watts max from the mains. Whilst my CODE 50 is great for what I do - mostly open mikes plus a few solo gigs - I wouldn't want to use it in a proper gigging band.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11675
    Seems a fairly easy test to do with a decibel meter if one wants to measure relative loudness?
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    This thread needs @ICBM if you're going to talk about watts vs loudness.

To be fair... If you're able to have a decent gig running from the guitar's volume control, then holy shit but this must be a pretty good amp. Your demands are relatively hard to meet from even a good valve amp - from a sub 500 quid amp it's remarkable. 

I'd say this is a very, very positive review - despite the initial struggles. Well don't on not being afraid to turn those tone knobs! 
    This is absolutely correct, I'm trying to be honest without being too negative and I really like the amp.
    It really is a step forward in digital amp terms at this budget and I'm very happy with it. 
    dindude said:
    Good honest review, and it seems that Katana punches well above its weight. Can’t help thinking though that what you need for your style of playing (I’ve heard the clips you’ve posted before and have always been impressed with your use of dynamics) is a nice valve amp :)
    Haha you're right, and I can't see me ever getting rid of mine, but this was all about light weight, versatility and convenience.

To be absolutely fair, I'm in a band which never rehearses much above TV volume and never has a proper soundcheck, so I'm describing issues which I was having to overcome in a rush in front of a paying audience. 

It is a genuinely impressive, natural-feeling amp, and I'm looking forward to another two gigs with it this week.