Boss Katana 100 gig report

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 5715
    Danny1969 said:

I think a lot has to do with how players play.  I had a similar experience to the OP and gave up, but the Katana's sound good for most people and to be fair, I've no doubt I'd think the same about listening to somebody else play them.

To me for gigging it's a no brainer, for an extra £50 and 5kg, I'd go for a used Hot Rod Deluxe (like the one in the classifieds), which to me sound instantly good.  Clean channel set at 5, OD pedal, simple.  But that's all they do.....Wheras the Katana is much more.

One thing I would say, is give the Katana 10 gigs for the speaker to break in and see how it goes.

Yeah that's my view as a working muso, the 100 watt Katana isn't much cheaper than a used quality valve amp which as you say generally sound great with no effort at all. I picked up a nearly new Hot Rod Deluxe for £360 and pretty much loving that 
    I agree with you both and already have a pair of 1x12 valve combos, (hang on, make that four after a recount!) but I wanted something light which didn't need any pedals.

My main issue is that I play guitar and run the PA in my band, and my wife is the drummer. That's a lot of equipment for one estate car plus two people, so we're down to a fairly compact vocal PA, an Arbiter Flats drum kit and the Katana with floor controller stuffed in the back. 

We're looking at how the economy pans out next year with Brexit upheavals etc before shelling out on an HK Audio Lucas PA, which means we can just pick up any old 300 quid hatchback of reasonable size whenever we need to, rather than having to find big money for a van every couple of years. 

I hate to mention the B-word, but during the last recession ten years ago gigs in mid Wales totally dried up, so I'm going to wait until at least next summer before shelling out two grand on more gear. 

If I was just a guitar player I'd still be gigging with half stacks tbh. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Maxx77Maxx77 Frets: 10
    Interesting topic!
    Looking for the 100w combo, mainly for gig use, since my Fender SS60 its quite heavy and i cant park my car inside bars to unload and load it.
    I think ill wait for a few more of your gigs report to pull the trigger ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • the issue with it is not volume. its more than adequate in that respect. It comes down to whether you like the sounds and like the way the amp operates, as someone who likes things nice and simple, i found it a bit of a learning curve but now i roughly know what im doing im pleased with it.
    More reports on the Katana p90fool?
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 5715
    @Maxx77  I've been gigging other amps for the last couple of weeks, but I'm using the Katana this Saturday, in a biggish hotel function room. I've been tweaking EQ in the software to match one of my other gigging amps at pretty high volume as my neighbours were away for a few days, and it's sounding very promising in isolation. 

Watch this space!
    thx m8