Boss Katana 100 gig report

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    p90fool said:

It's funny, it does sound really good at home, but I know as soon as I flip that switch to 50 or 100w it'll sound wildly different, even without touching any other controls. 

Even at low volumes though, I think I can hear the problem. @ICBM will be able to explain the topology of how the sounds are actually generated, but the various frequency bands of bass, middle and treble seem almost "pasted on" to the core tone, rather than being a part of what actually produces the tone.
    No, digital stuff is totally outside my area of expertise!

What I would suggest is that if the problem is related to changing the power output setting, simply set it up at home using the 100W output.

I notice this even with my little Vox Mini5 - it has lower power settings as well (0.1W and 1.5W). It alters the sound much more if you switch to those, rather than just turning the MV down on the 5W setting.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I think I read from someone on TGP or maybe here about the sound drastically changing between wattage modes - might be worth just using the full wattage mode at home to at least keep that variable the same.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Well that was interesting! Last night's gig was in a packed pub with a very low ceiling, quite a contrast to the last two, and the amp sounded really good straight away. 

The only substantial change I made from Friday's gig was to boost the gain quite a lot, which seemed to make the EQ controls less twitchy. It's way more gain than I'll ever use so I'm riding the guitar volume a lot, but with the 250k log pots I use in everything it's do-able. 

The neck pickup tones were still a touch boomy with those almost pasted-on low frequencies, but I can honestly say the bridge pickup tone sounded almost as good as anything I've had live, with any amp. 

This was with the master almost all the way up on the 50w setting. 

I've just tried the same settings this morning at home except on the 0.5w setting, and on the 50w setting with the master lowered and both sound absolutely lame. Shame really, one of the reasons for me going digital was to have consistency across all volume levels, but never mind, I have enough patches to be able to save home and gig settings.

I'm getting there basically, we'll see what the next gig brings.

@ICBM I will get around to trying the Mitchell Donut one day, but my Mitchell hot cross bun seems to be working pretty well :) 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    A new review from everyone's favourite on here, Rob Chapman, officially sponsored...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgFDnxkRkQ&feature=push-u&attr_tag=JsuDH1AIaarWHjt6-6
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    A new review from everyone's favourite on here, Rob Chapman, officially sponsored...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMgFDnxkRkQ&feature=push-u&attr_tag=JsuDH1AIaarWHjt6-6

That explains a lot about a certain other video comparing different manufacturers' modellers.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Being able to pick up an amp and turn it around the way that Chappers did in that vid was for me the biggest selling point of the Katana!  

For years, the best sounding most versatile gigging rig I've ever had is my original 'Blue' Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX, AD212 extn cab (with the cab that's 4x12"!) & VC12 floor-controller - unlike the later 'budget' versions, this was purpose-designed as a gigging amp and because the valves are in the power-stage it really does respond & sound very close to an valve-amp (eg it reacts to speaker impedance just like an all valve amp).  And it's damned loud too!

But the problem is the weight!  I simply can't schlapp it around any more in/out cars, up/down stairs - the (2x12) combo is 58lbs, the extn cab is 43lbs and the VC12 is 12.5lbs - so that's over 110 lbs plus cables/speaker leads. I just don't do the 'bigger' gigs anymore that I used to and (ridiculously) it's now confined to home as a 'practice' amp.  Nowadays I'm using a Vox Tonelab LE/SE through the PA (or the amp at rehearsal rooms).  But even the TLSE is a heavy bugger and I'll probably sell it and just the TLLE.  

However, it would be nice to find a lightweight, loud and great-sounding amp that has floor control for gigging, that will give me a consistently good tone, and I could also put direct through the PA.  The 1x12 50w Katana is only around 25.5 lbs, the  1x12 100w is 32lbs, and GAFC Footswitch is only a touch over 2lbs.  So the total 'rig' at 34lbs is easily manageable, even at my age and with a bad back.   

I have got to go try one - I think Soundgarden in Barnet may be my best bet.    

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • It's really interesting to see how different players' style has evolved. I'm a one-button per sound guy with a floor switcher and never touch the volume controls on my guitars. While I'm sure I could deal with it, I would feel pretty exposed with just an amp, a volume pedal and a guitar to play a gig with. 
  • Voxman said:
    Being able to pick up an amp and turn it around the way that Chappers did in that vid was for me the biggest selling point of the Katana!  

For years, the best sounding most versatile gigging rig I've ever had is my original 'Blue' Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX, AD212 extn cab (with the cab that's 4x12"!) & VC12 floor-controller - unlike the later 'budget' versions, this was purpose-designed as a gigging amp and because the valves are in the power-stage it really does respond & sound very close to an valve-amp (eg it reacts to speaker impedance just like an all valve amp).  And it's damned loud too!

But the problem is the weight!  I simply can't schlapp it around any more in/out cars, up/down stairs - the (2x12) combo is 58lbs, the extn cab is 43lbs and the VC12 is 12.5lbs - so that's over 110 lbs plus cables/speaker leads. I just don't do the 'bigger' gigs anymore that I used to and (ridiculously) it's now confined to home as a 'practice' amp.  Nowadays I'm using a Vox Tonelab LE/SE through the PA (or the amp at rehearsal rooms).  But even the TLSE is a heavy bugger and I'll probably sell it and just the TLLE.  

However, it would be nice to find a lightweight, loud and great-sounding amp that has floor control for gigging, that will give me a consistently good tone, and I could also put direct through the PA.  The 1x12 50w Katana is only around 25.5 lbs, the  1x12 100w is 32lbs, and GAFC Footswitch is only a touch over 2lbs.  So the total 'rig' at 34lbs is easily manageable, even at my age and with a bad back.   

im in Welwyn GC if you wanna try mine out.  simarlarly  i bought mine really as a lightweight gigging option.
    edited November 2017
    Voxman said:

im in Welwyn GC if you wanna try mine out.  simarlarly  i bought mine really as a lightweight gigging option.
    Hi MLC - that's very kind of you - I'm in Southgate N14, so if Soundgarden have one they are only 15 minutes from me - if not, I'll certainly give you a shout.  Is yours the 50w 1x12, 100w 1x12 or 100w 2x12 - and did you go for the GAFC floor switch? 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • mines the 100w 1X12 combo, and i have the gafc floorswitch (need it really for live playing)
    edited November 2017
    mines the 100w 1X12 combo, and i have the gafc floorswitch (need it really for live playing)
    Perfick!  Exactly the set-up I'd consider getting.  I like that you can add expression/volume pedals to the GAFC too!
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    It's really interesting to see how different players' style has evolved. I'm a one-button per sound guy with a floor switcher and never touch the volume controls on my guitars. While I'm sure I could deal with it, I would feel pretty exposed with just an amp, a volume pedal and a guitar to play a gig with. 
    Playing bass really taught me just how important it is to master your volume control and learn to use it as an integral part of your sound. I doubt I could go back to guitar and not use it now..
    edited November 2017
    It's really interesting to see how different players' style has evolved. I'm a one-button per sound guy with a floor switcher and never touch the volume controls on my guitars. While I'm sure I could deal with it, I would feel pretty exposed with just an amp, a volume pedal and a guitar to play a gig with. 
    Playing bass really taught me just how important it is to master your volume control and learn to use it as an integral part of your sound. I doubt I could go back to guitar and not use it now..
    Being an oldie I was brought up on non-master volume amps, so learned very early to use the guitar volume & tone controls to vary tone & clean up distortion. I can't imagine ever not doing it.  Some years back I had a loan Vox AC4TV and in my (very) amateur home video I demonstrated volume & tone roll off:

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Voxman said:
    Being an oldie I was brought up on non-master volume amps, so learned very early to use the guitar volume & tone controls to vary tone & clean up distortion. I can't imagine ever not doing it. 
    Mind you, bass amp heads are so small these days I doubt I'd be able to find the volume control on it in the dark at a gig :D 
  • Just to comment on Katana's, I saw my Son's first gig at the weekend.

All originals with one cover song by the Strokes.

He played lead using my guitar fitted with Oilcity Scrapyard Dogs into TU3, SD1, DS1, BD1 then Katana 100w 1x12.  He ran Master on full with 50w power option and he was miked. Modulation was via Katana using the GF foot controller.

His lead singer/rhythm guitarist played an Epiphone Les Paul into a borrowed Fender FM212.  Also in the band was a keyboard player, Bass and full drum kit.

Sound is subjective but they sounded absolutely terrific to me.  Fair play to the sound guy as he mixed them superbly.

Room had a low ceiling and was packed around 100 people.

Superb night and they are a very talented band. :)
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    You play bass?!??!!?!
  • Sold my big Laney valve amp today. Katana all the way now.

Just updated the firmware. Seems there was a v2.02 update to fix a few small issues with the update in October.

• I think a lot has to do with how players play.  I had a similar experience to the OP and gave up, but the Katana's sound good for most people and to be fair, I've no doubt I'd think the same about listening to somebody else play them.

To me for gigging it's a no brainer, for an extra £50 and 5kg, I'd go for a used Hot Rod Deluxe (like the one in the classifieds), which to me sound instantly good.  Clean channel set at 5, OD pedal, simple.  But that's all they do.....Wheras the Katana is much more.

One thing I would say, is give the Katana 10 gigs for the speaker to break in and see how it goes.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357

I think a lot has to do with how players play.  I had a similar experience to the OP and gave up, but the Katana's sound good for most people and to be fair, I've no doubt I'd think the same about listening to somebody else play them.

To me for gigging it's a no brainer, for an extra £50 and 5kg, I'd go for a used Hot Rod Deluxe (like the one in the classifieds), which to me sound instantly good.  Clean channel set at 5, OD pedal, simple.  But that's all they do.....Wheras the Katana is much more.

One thing I would say, is give the Katana 10 gigs for the speaker to break in and see how it goes.

Yeah that's my view as a working muso, the 100 watt Katana isn't much cheaper than a used quality valve amp which as you say generally sound great with no effort at all. I picked up a nearly new Hot Rod Deluxe for £360 and pretty much loving that 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    menamestom said: mo

Have a Wisdom! Speaker break in can make a huge difference to 'round/smooth' the tone.