Help! Dep gig quick learning plea

What's Hot
Hi all,

A old friend of mine plays in a blues cover band and their guitarist has been struck down with something nasty, so I'm stepping in to cover a gig this Saturday, and there's a hell of a lot I need to learn...added to that I'm travelling a lot with work this week and I'll only have a couple of evenings to go over the set!

I'm concentrating on some of the more intricate ones (Gary Moore's "Midnight Blues", Fleetwood Mac's "I Loved Another Woman" etc where the guitar parts really need to be crack on)....a lot of the rest I'll busk as they're variations on standard blues progressions..

Apologies to the guy that posted the anti "do you have a tab for that" thread the other day ;-) ....but does anyone have a tab for either of these two.... 

John Mayall "That's Why I Love You So"

James Hunter "Don't Do Me No Favours"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    ....and trying to get my brain around the strumming pattern for Dr Feelgoods "All Through The CIty"....just seems totally alien!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    ....and trying to get my brain around the strumming pattern for Dr Feelgoods "All Through The CIty"....just seems totally alien!
    This is obviously Chalkie's band! 

The Hunter one we abandoned and didn't do live because the drummer couldn't do it, although it's basically a repeated riff ( although I can't remember it off hand). There's a YouTube clip of Hunter playing a solo version and, IIRC, you can hear what's going on more clearly on that. It's the feel of it that buggers everybody up more than the notes IIRC.

It was a two guitar line up and the other guitarist did the heavy lifting on the Mayall song, I just did a bunch of minor chords. I did learn it at the time, I couldn't pick it up at all from the original track but there was a YouTube clip of a bar band in the Czech republic or somewhere playing it that I worked it out from ( edit: see below). 

All Through the City was my suggestion so I'm very surprised it's still in there. I don't think I got the strumming pattern as per the original at all, if you can find versions of it featuring anyone but Wilko you might be better off. The current guitarist in Dr Feelgood  is a pretty straightforward plectrum player. I guess I approached it in my usual ' close enough, that'll do' way - although that may explain why you've got the gig now!  Approaching it with vigour rather than accuracy is the important notion, other than that it's three chords ( four maybe as there's a little slide up I think) and a brief chromatic riff.

I hated Midnight Blues, just not my style at all and such a goddam boring song. Chalkie used to introduce it as 'Philip hates this song but the rest of us love it' and that didn't help.
     Not a lot to I Loved Another Woman, the hard bit really is that it's so underplayed on the original is making the decision not to keep adding extra bits in. 

[Google's]

Don't know if it's of any help but this is effectively the version we did of the Mayall song:

Good luck

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited October 2017
    *Put in completely the wrong thread*

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    Thanks Phil, Yes it is Chalkie's band....but it's a different drummer now, and one that I've played with before with Chalkie many years ago, hence helping them out at short notice.

It's just a single guitar line-up now...so all on me!

That other clip of the Mayall one is better, thanks for that.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited October 2017
    I've had a quick go at the John Mayall track - That's Why I Love You So.

Here's a link to download my chart with tab. I suggest you check it because I did it very quickly and there was quite a bit of copy and pasting, so I've probably not captured some of the subtle variations.

And here's a link to a version without tab that uses only two pages

If you've got Guitar Pro 7, I can supply the file for that if it helps. Or I think I've got the option to export it to an old version of GP, back to version 5.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Awesome @stratman3142 thanks so much, that'll really help!
  • The James Hunter track is obviously a twelve bar  in G (or 24 bar depending on how you count it).

I find the guitar riff a bit vague and difficult to make out exactly, and I expect it varies. Below is a pdf giving a couple of my ideas of what he might be playing in G at the start. Unless anyone has any better ideas :)

https://app.box.com/s/nliyypgk1be71fewxp27kyuzd4t4ml9g

I suppose something like the basic riff in G will be moved to C and D as necessary.
    It's not a competition.
    Awesome @stratman3142 thanks so much, that'll really help!
    This again /\

thanks for taking the time to help me out. 
  • Just wanted to say thanks again to @EricTheWeary and @stratman3142 ;

The gig went fine and i got through those tracks without issue....sadly it was pretty quiet at the pub, partially the wrong band name/date being on the chalkboard outside the pub, the posters that had been dropped off not having been put up....and pretty much everyone being at a fireworks display!
  • Glad it went well.
    It's not a competition.
  • Apologies to the guy that posted the anti "do you have a tab for that" thread the other day ;-) ....but does anyone have a tab for either of these two.
    Ahah I was only talking about YouTube comments. Don't get bogged down by my stupid rants, you have a lot of learning to do and not much time.

Good Luck and Have Fun

Max