edited October 2017 in Technique
Steve Lukather Masterclass compilation

Duration 35:01

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YX4u7_99wo

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited October 2017
    Steven Lee Lukather, born October 21, 1957, American guitarist, singer, songwriter, arranger and record producer, best known for his work with the rock band Toto

A prolific session musician, Lukather has recorded guitar tracks for more than 1,500 albums representing a broad array of artists and genres.

He has also contributed to albums and hit singles as a songwriter, arranger and producer. Lukather has released seven solo albums.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the video linkage Chris.  Interestingly I just purchased Derek Sherinian's Oceana album from Amazon and received delivery of it yesterday.  Steve Lukather plays on a number of tracks and you can hear a clear Jeff Beck influence in his playing. 

I also bought the tab for the solo to Goodbye Elenore, which is one of my favourite ever Toto solos.  I first heard this solo around 2003 after seeing Steve Lukather's Hot Licks instructional video.  It has so many great licks in there and has to be one of the classic solos of the 1980s.  Around this time I remember trying to seek out a Valley Arts Guitar as I was really into his playing.  Instead I remember buying a Tyler Dann Huff Mongoose guitar from Guitar Guitar in Glasgow in September 2004. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What a legend. I recently had to get a few Toto tunes down for a band I'm playing with. Totally made me fall in love with his playing again. Just amazingly expressive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 965
    Cheers for this!
  • lentolento Frets: 116
    This guy did some great melodic soloing for an Earth, Wind & Fire track (Back On The Road) back in 1980. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3287
    edited April 2020
    I just worked on some of his stuff this weekend, particularly 'Rosanna'. He's a real hero of mine.

His session output during the 80s and 90s was impressive and I still love his solo on the cheesy 'Physical' - have a listen to the wide bends and phrasing. However, my favourite of his and favourite solo of all time, even pushing 'Kid Charlemagne' out, is his one on Chicago's 'Hard to say I'm Sorrry'. Most of his solos on the ballads were epic. 

Funnily enough, I probably listen to the 'less organic' Isolation album more than any others.

I've been lucky to have seen Toto many times since the 80s and twice in the last couple of years. They were on tremendous form and so was Lukather. I'm saddened that this may never happen again due to litigation.

Do yourselves a favour and read his book and watch the 35th Anniversary concert (it's on YT). 
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6592
    Toto played almost everything for the Spinal Tap album. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
  • adaminoadamino Frets: 125
    I love the TOTO XIV album.

Excellent songwriting

Great production

Fantastic engineering and brilliant mastering that puts most other major bands productions to shame.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1807
    I’ve been a massive Luke fan for many many years and have probably (hope!!) got a lot of him in my playing especially the bends and some of the scale choices he makes.

However, what always gets me is his note choice going into a solo - that for me is the secret to Luke - his approach to things - he never plays anything that really resolves to the root and he also plays the changes - people call him a “turbo charged blues player” - for me, I think they are wrong - yes, he has some blues/classic rock stuff going on but the amount of jazz phrasing and choices (especially in his later output) is spectacular - he really got back on top of his game in the last few years - some absolutely beautiful moments...Toto XIV - has to be the solo in China Town...

A beast of a player and being up close with him doesn’t make it any easier - what surprised me the most is the amount of gain he actually uses - he uses a lot but his touch and accuracy make it sound quite light.

You might have an inkling that I have a little bit of a man crush on him haha.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4063
    I love the Isolation album , Steve is an awesome character who has lived through some of the best years 70s/80s and still continues to amaze us to this day . 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1634
    welshboyo said:
    I’ve been a massive Luke fan for many many years and have probably (hope!!) got a lot of him in my playing especially the bends and some of the scale choices he makes.

However, what always gets me is his note choice going into a solo - that for me is the secret to Luke - his approach to things - he never plays anything that really resolves to the root and he also plays the changes - people call him a “turbo charged blues player” - for me, I think they are wrong - yes, he has some blues/classic rock stuff going on but the amount of jazz phrasing and choices (especially in his later output) is spectacular - he really got back on top of his game in the last few years - some absolutely beautiful moments...Toto XIV - has to be the solo in China Town...

A beast of a player and being up close with him doesn’t make it any easier - what surprised me the most is the amount of gain he actually uses - he uses a lot but his touch and accuracy make it sound quite light.

You might have an inkling that I have a little bit of a man crush on him haha.
    Man, totally agree, he's sensational! He's really got the lot and it's all so in the pocket - always sounds comfortable and never like he's reaching or overplaying. The sort of player everyone should listen to even if not your cup of tea musically as he doesn't waste anything when he solos. All phrases and notes are full of bends, chokes, legato, muting etc without being over busy - just makes the absolute most of what he plays. Has that abillty to play the changes then just sprinkle with blues, chromatic, jazz licks etc. like a top chef uses seasoning. Really speaks through the guitar.
  • AdiAdi Frets: 331
    Lukhater is one of my favourites , I had a pleasure to see Toto couple of years ago in Glasgow and they were mind-blowing , his playing was on another level