Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Want a new amp advice

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
I'd like a new (to me, 2nd hand works too) amp...

I've tried narrowing down what i want but fact is i just don't know anymore, i want something different most days, amps i liked previously still feature in my considerations but i have reservations about everything - there hasn't been a stand out "must have" amp, which makes me not want to part with my money :)

Want something quite versatile, that can be used for quiet past bedtime shenanigans, but with the power for gigging too.. 

Needs to take pedals really well, but also has a great od channel. I play a mixture of blues/hard rock and enjoy a bit of ambient fun. 

I like tubes.. but not a "must" so prolly looking 20 - 30w tube but with option to cut power, or 50w + ss.

Small footprint.. 

Also budget isn't huge.. but at the same time, i'm patient, so if there's something i like i'm happy to save a little.

I like things like the L6 DT25 for the versatility, but maybe a bit big, the small 5150 looks cool too. I like the idea on the lunchbox size amps and stuff.. 

and before everyone starts shouting KATANNNANANANNANANNANANNANNNAAAAAA! I'm probably leaning this way but i just don't want one :)

Also not blackstar / orange.

So there is my mangled criteria of confusion!

Throw me some suggestions!  
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Kata.... Oh. Err... Isn't there a law about that? 

What about a peavey bandit or vyper? Think they have switchable power? Or a simple amp with a line six pod in from so you can use4 cable method and use different amps? 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Mesa Boogie Studio 22 or Jet City etc, 22w of Valve would be more than ample. The Egnater Rebel 20 and 30’s are worth a look too
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    I have a Mesa Boogie Subway Rocket Reverb that's not being used... not officially for sale but I could be persuaded depending on budget. Very small and light but packs a punch.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

I came to the thread specifically to say 'Katana', but as that isn't allowed, I wont.

Katana

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I'll be the one to say it then, how about the Marshall DSL40C? A couple of channels, switchable power, takes pedals well. Well worth a look and can be picked up used for a good price.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Egnator Tweaker, mine has seen off some much more expensive amps - lovely clean that loves gain pedals. Nice OD (keep it on the clean channel with the gain all the way up - push it with a TS if needed) I'm sure there are better amps out there - I'm always on the search for the next one! But this does me fine. Oh - can get loud, but has a great master volume for home volumes.
  • What do you mean by "small footprint"? Are you talking 1x12?
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    The new Victory RK50? http://www.victoryamps.com/rk50.html

50W or 9W. Very small. Great cleans and lead. Built-in reverb. FX loop.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Same boat as you, exact same requirements, didn't want to hear 'Katana' - was looking at 5150LBX, Mini Jubilee, Mini Rec... wanted something I could play at home and gig. Came to the conclusion it didn't exist...

...Then I caved in and bought the Katana. Best decision I have made, does everything I want and more. Basic core tone is absolutely spot on, sounds great at home and great loud.

As we aren't allowed to say the 'K' word I'll suggest the following:

Kemper? (Probably way over budget)
    Axe-FX? (Totally over budget)
    Tweaker by Egnater
    AC15 with pedals? (Heavy but great tone)
    Nightrain 15 by Vox
    Artist 15 by Blackstar with pedals

Actually, on reflection thats not a great list for you. I'd get a Katana.

Tweaker is a good shout from @Exorcist ..

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Thanks for replys y'all, lots to look into!

I've heard some good things about Egnator, so perhaps i will do bit more research in that direction.. 

When i say small footprint, i probably mean 1x12, but not one of those giant 1x12 cabs :)  Space is a premium for gear atm..

So we had lots of tube suggestions.. anyone have any solid state opinions that doesn't include Katanas? B)

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Same boat as you, exact same requirements, didn't want to hear 'Katana' - was looking at 5150LBX, Mini Jubilee, Mini Rec... wanted something I could play at home and gig. Came to the conclusion it didn't exist...

...Then I caved in and bought the Katana. Best decision I have made, does everything I want and more. Basic core tone is absolutely spot on, sounds great at home and great loud.

As we aren't allowed to say the 'K' word I'll suggest the following:

Kemper? (Probably way over budget)
    Axe-FX? (Totally over budget)
    Tweaker by Egnater
    AC15 with pedals? (Heavy but great tone)
    Nightrain 15 by Vox
    Artist 15 by Blackstar with pedals

Actually, on reflection thats not a great list for you. I'd get a Katana.

Tweaker is a good shout from @Exorcist ..
    Haha, thing is i will probably cave too.. and i imagine i will be very happy.. but but but.. i just gotta exhaust all other avenues first :)
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 252
    Mesa Mini Rectifier or if you wan't a combo the Rectoverb 25. 
    Great od channel, very versatile, takes pedals very well, small, but loud enough to gig with.
    Not cheap, but buy used and they make more financial sense. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I have an AMT Stonehead up for sale atm. Great little head, 50w ss, 4 channels, fx loop, lunchbox size, built like a tank. Does it all pretty much, just not using it - too much gear!!
  • Try a Boogie Express 5:25+  It'll do all you want and more.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11676
    BUY A KATANA!!

Oh... crap... everyone else has said it already AND we weren't supposed to! :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • I have a Tweaker head I'm thinking of moving on. It's a great amp, very versatile but I'm just not using it at the minute, and would probably prefer a combo. 

I'll probably buy a K*ta*a.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71961
    LuttiS said:

So we had lots of tube suggestions.. anyone have any solid state opinions that doesn't include Katanas? B)
    Yamaha THR100 and a small 1x12". Much more expensive than the Katana though.

I've also heard only good things about the Marshall Code.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    LuttiS said:
    Thanks for replys y'all, lots to look into!

One of the little Quilter heads (101Reveb for example) and a lightweight 1x12 cab. 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    If you've got 20 minutes to spare it's worth watching the Marshall CODE Artist Playthroughs:

They show what the amps are really capable in the hands of a competent player.

It's also worth pointing out that unlike many other manufacturers the Marshalls are rated in watts RMS rather than peak so a 50 watt CODE is about the same power as a 100 watt something else.

One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    edited November 2017
    H&K Tubemeister 36 or Grandmeister heads