Helix vs Amplifire 12

moz91moz91 Frets: 38
Just wondering if there are any users of either of these units around and how you're getting on with them? In particular how they sound and feel going straight in to a PA rather than through a clean amp.

This is my first foray into digital modelling; im looking at one of these two units to use direct in to a PA. Digital really suits one of the bands I'm with as we're all on IEMs and its all about versatility and a quick set up!

Amplifire looks great, i just cant figure out how its so much cheaper than the helix and ax8. Ax8 is out of budget, so realistically it's a helix lt or amplifire 12.

Look forward to hearing your opinions!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I had the amplifier std model
    it was good but not a patch on the Helix I have to say
    Neither has presets I found particularly useful but the Helix was a lot easier for me to get a good base sound and then fx
  • I have an Amplifire 12 and absolutely love it. I was in exactly the same situation as you and pondered the same options as you when I purchased it.

The amplifire is no where near as in depth as the Helix, and on the surface the effects on the Amplifire are no where near as sophisticated.

That being said that was the very reason I went for the amplifire, I didn't want endless menus to trawl through and a million parameters to tweak. All I needed was 4 basic core sounds (Clean, Crunch, Heavy OD and Lead) with a nice Chrous, Tremolo, Delay and an overall volume boost for lead parts.

Although the Amplifire is stripped back as far as features compared to the other modellers you mentioned, it is very much on par where it matters, sound quality. The sound quality is on par with anything out there in my opinion. It sounds superb. Invest in some quality IR's and you are good to go.

I use mine live exactly as you describe, direct to the PA using IEM's. The only thing I would say is coming from using valve amps for years you do have to get used to the IEM's. That's the hardest part of adjusting to this kind of setup. Also remember whichever option you go for it's never going to sound like an amp in the room or on stage, it's going to sound like an amp mic'd up. I think that's why a lot of people try modelling then ultimately go back to their valve amps.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I would agree with that.   I use an AA3 sometimes and it sounds great into the PA.   

Imo the basic sounds are close to the ax8 in quality, it just doesn’t have all the option and effects but it does sound good.    I like the flexible footsiwtches with an A/B preset option or assignable within a preset giving easy access to 6 sounds or 4 with a variation on each, gives a lot of options for something that size.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited November 2017
    I have an Amplifire 12 and it's great. 

Lots of posts out there discussing relative merits of amplifire vs helix and others. Amplifire always seems to hold its own...

http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?threads/helix-lt-vs-amplifire-tone-comparison-mp3s.526/

http://atomicamps.com/forum/index.php?threads/intermediate-hobbyist-deciding-on-kemper-or-amplifire.936/#post-6020

For a while helix lt was similarly priced to amplifire and the extra features and ease of use night have swung it for me.

12 is better than the 3 for live use as it has lots of different possible footswitch configurations.  I tend to put different levels of gain on buttons 1-5  (clean, breakup, crunch, drive, lead), using fender, plexi and Friedman models then use 6-10 for comp, boost, modulation, delay and tap tempo. Works v well.

Amplifire much smaller and more portable.

In your shoes I'd head to andertons, where you can try both. Take your time and get help from someone who really knows how to get the best from them.
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Thanks for that fellas, kind of glad the amplifire is so well spoke of as its the one im leaning towards!
    Sounds like they're less focused on bells & whistles and more on simply getting the best amp sounds they can... 
    Bit gutted that PMT don't stock them as, being in leeds, im about 200miles from andertons!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3389
    edited November 2017